Author Topic: Citizens United & the NRA  (Read 5558 times)

longeyes

• friend
Citizens United & the NRA
« on: June 17, 2010, 11:02:59 AM »
Dems close to campaign finance deal
By: John Bresnahan
June 14, 2010 01:23 PM EDT

House Democrats have offered to exempt the National Rifle Association from a sweeping campaign-finance bill, removing a major obstacle in the push to roll back the Supreme Court’s Citizens United ruling.

The NRA had objected to some of the strict financial disclosure provisions that Democrats have proposed for corporations and politically active nonprofits and that had kept moderate, pro-gun Democrats from backing the legislation.

But if the NRA signs off on the deal, the bill could come to the House floor as early as this week. The NRA said it would not comment until specific legislative language is revealed.

An NRA official also noted that the group would not be supporting the bill but would not actively oppose it if the deal with the Democratic leadership holds up.

The legislation in question is designed to restore more campaign finance rules in the wake of last year’s Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission decision, which removed prohibitions on corporations and unions running TV ads opposing or backing candidates in the run-up to an election.

Democratic leaders fear the Citizens United decision could open the floodgates for corporate money to flow into this year’s midterm elections, which they believe would favor Republican interests.

The legislation, offered by Maryland Rep. Chris Van Hollen, chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, would require special-interest groups to disclose their top donors if they choose to run TV ads or send out mass mailings in the final months of an election.

Democrats are justifying the NRA exemption, saying the organization has a long history of being involved in the political process, and they say the real goal of the new campaign finance bill is to expose corporations and unions that create ambiguous front groups to run attack ads during campaigns. Unions would not be allowed to use the NRA exemption.

North Carolina Rep. Heath Shuler, an NRA backer and conservative Democrat, proved to be pivotal to the NRA deal. Shuler was the first to offer an amendment to exempt the NRA and other nonprofits from the legislation, but that move drew objections from campaign watchdog groups.

“There were a number of concerns that the DISCLOSE Act could hinder or penalize the efforts of certain long-standing, member-driven organizations who have historically acted in good faith,” Shuler said, referring to the NRA. “Most of those concerns are addressed within the manager’s amendment.”

The proposal would exempt organizations that have more than 1 million members, have been in existence for more than 10 years, have members in all 50 states and raise 15 percent or less of their funds from corporations. Democrats say the new language would apply to only the NRA, since no other organization would qualify under these specific provisions. The NRA, with 4 million members, will not actively oppose the DISCLOSE Act, according to Democratic sources.

The exemption for a huge group like the NRA is sure to outrage smaller special-interest groups.

Even if this deal represents a breakthrough for key House Democrats, there still isn’t much support from Republicans or Big Business. The Chamber of Commerce still opposes the legislation, and it’s not clear that the Senate will take it up even if the House passes it.

“This legislation is a threat to the First Amendment rights of businesses across the country. It represents a significant departure from past campaign-finance legislation, which sought to treat unions and corporations comparably and was framed in a genuinely bipartisan manner,” the Chamber and more than 100 other trade associations wrote in a May 27 letter sent to lawmakers.

House Republicans have largely opposed the DISCLOSE Act as well, seeing it as an attempt by Democrats to use the legislation to retain their majority. Only two Republicans — Reps. Mike Castle of Delaware and Walter Jones of North Carolina — have signed on as co-sponsors of the bill. By comparison, 114 Democrats are currently listed as co-sponsors.

“This bill is both a smoke screen to adopt still more restrictions on political speech in the name of ‘reform’ and an attempt to use Citizens United as a smoke screen to stifle criticism of Democrats in order to help their candidates retain office in the 2010 election,” Reps. Dan Lungren (R-Calif.), Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) and Gregg Harper (R-Miss.) wrote in a response to the bill when it was before the House Administration Committee.

A similar bill authored by Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) has been referred to the Senate Rules and Administration Committee — which Schumer chairs — but no action has been taken on it yet.

The legislation would also ban “electioneering activity” by government contractors or those companies that received Troubled Asset Relief Program funds; prohibit foreign-owned companies from engaging in political activities; and require corporations, unions and other nonprofits to provide a list of their top five funders when running TV ads or other campaign activities.

© 2010 Capitol News Company, LLC
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Citizens United & the NRA
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 11:17:43 AM »
Sigh.

Democrat fear and rule-shifting prior to an election.

Go figure.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 11:30:38 AM »
The NRA is not immune to the tendency of bureaucracy to abandon its original objective (RKBA & liberty) and replace that objective with one of self-service and self-preservation. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 11:46:15 AM »
The NRA is not immune to the tendency of bureaucracy to abandon its original objective (RKBA & liberty) and replace that objective with one of self-service and self-preservation. 

Technically, that's the NRA-ILA... and even the ILA keeps its focus very narrowly tailored to RKBA in relation to the NRA's activities.

The NRA's founding purpose had nothing to do with 2A... it was some Army officers from the Civil War that were appalled by the dismal marksmanship of their soldiers.  The founding purpose was to improve American marksmanship.

The NRA lost its way with gamesmanship inside of 2-3 generations, and the Department of Civilian Marksmanship took its place.  The DCM/CMP kept on track for 2-3 generations, then also got sucked into gamesmanship and lost its ability to put surplus military rifles into the public's hands by the FOPA 1986 and subsequent machine gun ban.  Yeah, they have a few garands and carbines.  But they are basically stopped from selling any military arms made after about 1960, since the M14's and M16's are all classed as machine guns.

So, the NRA turned into a game club.

The CMP is a mixed game club and gun store, with a rapidly depleting stock that will be all used up in the next 5-10 years, max.

Appleseed is turning into the next group to push marksmanship along with decentralized civic involvement to protect ALL of our rights.  Hopefully decentralizing the core efforts of Appleseeders will result in a lack of lobbyists and bureaucrats, and an increase in longevity of the core purpose of the group:  Righting the ship of state by remembering the sacrifices of revolutionary war figures and reasons for those sacrifices.  And practicing marksmanship.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 01:03:02 PM »
Democratic leaders fear the Citizens United decision could open the floodgates for corporate money to flow into this year’s midterm elections, which they believe would favor Republican interests.
Yeah, cause we all know there wasn't any corporate money in the last election. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 05:50:15 PM »
the NRA should keep its interest in RKBA only.
Its narrow focus means success
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 06:46:58 PM »
the NRA should keep its interest in RKBA only.
Its narrow focus means success

Yep. I don't like this bill. It's an unconstitutional assault on free speech.

I do like that the NRA won't have to waste a ton of money fighting it in the courts for the next 10 years now.

The NRA shouldn't have to fight both First Amendment and Second Amendment battles. I'm happy when they can focus on their mission.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

ksnecktieman

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 10:05:38 PM »
   As I see it, this exemption for the NRA leaves all of our other gun rights groups out in the cold?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 11:28:52 PM »
   As I see it, this exemption for the NRA leaves all of our other gun rights groups out in the cold?

It leaves more than just other gun rights groups out in the cold.

And, as a result:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0610/38698.html

Nancy Pelosi yanks campaign finance bill

Seems an effective strategy: tick off the left's constituent organizations.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 03:31:53 AM »
An NRA official also noted that the group would not be supporting the bill but would not actively oppose it if the deal with the Democratic leadership holds up.

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 06:11:00 AM »
If the NRA signs off on this, I expect to see a quick mass migration to other RKBA groups like SAF and JPFO...instead of the slow migration that's going on now....

...what use is a 900lb. gorilla if it stays comatose in the corner all the time and lets the 100lb Dobermans do all the fighting?...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 08:57:56 AM »
Certainly there will be provisions in it to allow the Union's PAC's (Political Action Campaigns) to freely donate as much as they please...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 09:58:10 AM »

If the NRA sells everyone else out, I'm done with them. 

Look, I bloody well know that they're a large organization with many areas and they should look after their own interests.  But selling out every other group won't exactly be good for their image in the long run.  Talk about penny wise pound foolish.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 11:34:48 AM »
If the NRA sells everyone else out, I'm done with them. 

Look, I bloody well know that they're a large organization with many areas and they should look after their own interests.  But selling out every other group won't exactly be good for their image in the long run.  Talk about penny wise pound foolish.

"If" the NRA sells out? Wayne LaPierre fail! with Lars Larson

I'm with you. I've been a supporter for many years and this is nothing more than a sellout! Wayne's gonna have to talk a lot faster than that to hook me. [barf]
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 12:49:27 PM »
What we don't need now is "a separate peace," otherwise known to some as collaboration, we need a united front to defend an essential right of free men.  Unfortunately, all organizations tend toward stupidity and cowardice as they grow and age.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 01:08:40 PM »
Unfortunately, all organizations tend toward stupidity and cowardice as they grow and age.

That explains a lot about the Republican Party...and the Democrats, for that matter...and the British government...

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 01:34:50 PM »
So where is the ACLU on all of this? ;/

Looks like the NRA did more to derail this legislation by being complicent than by fighting it.  :laugh:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 12:08:53 AM »
So where is the ACLU on all of this?

Still growing and aging.    :lol:

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2010, 02:37:56 AM »

Looks like the NRA did more to derail this legislation by being complicent than by fighting it.  :laugh:

yeah, unintended consequences. =D it would have sailed through if they hadn't exempted the NRA and of course they would have lost. even if they pass it and BO signs it-it will still lose.
Personally, I want the NRA to fight for me to ccw in NYC so I can go earn some money there. I want them on RKBA only, ... in the old days the washingtonians and oxford group were real successful in their mission -then they branched out and now they hardly exist.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 12:46:15 AM »
The ACLU only has about 500,000 members and they're not known to be effective in lobbying because they don't really have a lot of clout with such a small group.  They're structured more toward handling court cases after an injustice occurs rather than heading it off early on.  They urge members to make calls on legislation but I've never seen an ACLU ranking system for politicians around election time like I do with the NRA which leads me to believe they don't do a lot of lobbying behind the scenes.

Which is exactly what the NRA was doing here.  They didn't make a public fuss over the issue, they kept it in DC.

I wouldn't say they were being "complicent".  They put up a stink, got an exception, that was made public, and now the bill is pretty much dead because of it.  I doubt that was their intention but I'm happy with the result.