Author Topic: Laughing at the anti-gun nuts.  (Read 5579 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Laughing at the anti-gun nuts.
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 04:37:14 PM »
You think hollow points are dangerous?

I wish I'd recorded the broadcast a few days ago citing . . . FULL METAL JACKET !!! ammunition.

Teh horrorz!

Teh huge manatee!

If not for the potential political results, this would almost be funny. I've seen reports damning hollow points as practically being like hand grenades, and also reports where hollow points "over-penetrate" and go through everything. Somebody needs to tell these people about Glaser Safety Slugs - the name will give them fits. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

birdman

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 05:39:48 PM »
Jesus on a jetpack, its like "devastator" bullets all over again.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 05:51:15 PM »
I coat mine with teflon.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

erictank

• friends
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 06:25:29 PM »
I coat mine with teflon.

Let me borrow Selena's red pen here...

How COULD you?!? Endangering our fine upstanding law-enforcement officers with your evil, shoot-through-anything copkiller bullets!!!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 06:30:35 PM »
I coat mine with teflon.

I use Pam cooking spray.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2013, 06:31:24 PM »
I use Pam cooking spray.

I prefer bacon grease.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2013, 06:57:58 PM »
I prefer bacon grease.

Useful against the allahu akbar contingent
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2013, 07:11:39 PM »
Let me borrow Selena's red pen here...

How COULD you?!? Endangering our fine upstanding law-enforcement officers with your evil, shoot-through-anything copkiller bullets!!!

But you see, with Teflon, the bacon don't stick to the bullets.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2013, 08:10:02 PM »
I coat mine with teflon.

I use Pam cooking spray.

True story - I told Wife #2 to pick up some Crisco so I could make bullet lube for my .45-70 Sharps.

She brought home Butter-Flavored Crisco.  After I questioned her substitution, I said "Oh, what the heck..."

The big rounds actually smell pretty good - as the smoke wafts around the shooting benches people ask what I'm cooking.   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2013, 08:15:59 PM »
I coat mine with Hg(CNO)2

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013, 09:07:47 PM »
I coat mine with Hg(CNO)2

Dude, Jodie Foster isn't going to sleep with you, give it up before this all ends in tears.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2013, 10:44:28 PM »
Jodie Foster sure turned out to be a fine looking woman!

It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2013, 10:58:17 PM »
Jodie Foster sure turned out to be a fine looking woman!

Yeah, not bad for a wacko lesbian/not sure about it.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2013, 11:06:35 PM »
Dude, Jodie Foster isn't going to sleep with you, give it up before this all ends in tears.

wrong explosive, Hinckley used Pb(N3)2

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2013, 11:37:02 PM »
Jesus on a jetpack, its like "devastator" bullets all over again.

I wonder if we'll se another push and armor piercing bullets. We need to ban anything that could penetrate police body armor.
Even some of the nominal gun people I know don't really know the capabilty of standard ammo.
I won a $50 bet off a friend of mine when he wouldn't believe a cast lead bullet from a .30-30 would punch a hole in 1/4" mild plate steel.
My last trip the gun club I was setting up to shoot at the pig targets on the 100yd handgun/muzzle loader range with one of my 1911s. Another member scoffed at the idea I could even hit one let alone knock it over.
I wish I could have seen the look on his face when I knocked down 5 in a row ( a feat never before or since duplicated). When the range went cold he asked to see what kind of ammo I was shooting.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2013, 06:37:07 AM »
Several years back I was doing an artsy studio photo of one of my guns. My sales rep--a five-star liberal--looked at the set. All she said was, "But, Dick, it's a gun!" She said the word gun with the same horror one might use for "tarantula" or "guillotine".

Show her some artsy studio photos of guillotines and tarantulas?  =D
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2013, 07:04:30 AM »
I wonder if we'll se another push and armor piercing bullets. We need to ban anything that could penetrate police body armor.
Even some of the nominal gun people I know don't really know the capabilty of standard ammo.
I won a $50 bet off a friend of mine when he wouldn't believe a cast lead bullet from a .30-30 would punch a hole in 1/4" mild plate steel.

Was the cast lead a particularly hard alloy? I'm curious because my dad took me to an abandoned mining pit to shoot when I was a kid, and there was a piece of 1/4" steel plate embedded in the sidewall of the pit. The .308 I was shooting cut right through it but the .30-30 my brother was shooting just left a lead smear. We were both using factory 150gr. hunting loads. Could have been hardened steel, though...

My last trip the gun club I was setting up to shoot at the pig targets on the 100yd handgun/muzzle loader range with one of my 1911s. Another member scoffed at the idea I could even hit one let alone knock it over.
I wish I could have seen the look on his face when I knocked down 5 in a row ( a feat never before or since duplicated). When the range went cold he asked to see what kind of ammo I was shooting.

First time I shot a centerfire pistol (a Beretta 92F) I bet my friend (who owned the gun) that I could hit a milkjug at 100 yards.  He thought it was impossible, but I got it after the fourth or fifth shot. Too bad I didn't bet money... >:D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:19:29 AM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2013, 08:31:19 AM »
It was a lee mold, 150 gr FP with a gas check cast from WW plus a little tin on top of a max load of W748. It was a piece of mild steel cutout in the shape of a rabbit.
I've chrono'd that load, but off the top of my head I don't remember the numbers. I was pushing my luck with that load as it was pretty close to jacketed velocity.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

birdman

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2013, 08:48:16 AM »
Even plain brass can be quasi-AP.  200+gr solids in a 338LM will blow through quite a bit of steel.  At a certain point its a matter of L/D and density, newton wasn't an idiot.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2013, 10:19:29 PM »
Even plain brass can be quasi-AP.  200+gr solids in a 338LM will blow through quite a bit of steel.  At a certain point its a matter of L/D and density, newton wasn't an idiot.

Only reason copper alloys (brass, bronze, etc.) are considered "AP" by law is because they have superior penetration characteristics....when compared to cast lead, or copper jacketed lead bullets, not because they're actually capable of punching through 30 layers of Dyneema or X amount of Armor Steel at a particular weight/velocity.  :facepalm:

The whole guffaw about "teflon coated cop killers!" came about when some police officers were unhappy with the penetration characteristics of their standard issue cast lead .38 Special loads and started looking for something that would do better against vehicle glass and such. They found a .38 bronze solid did quite well, but was a bit harsh on the rifling in their pistols, hence the teflon lubrication. This spun out of control with the gun-grabbers and morphed into pistol AP ammo ban "for the children police officers!"

[/rant]

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2013, 12:33:33 AM »
True story - I told Wife #2 to pick up some Crisco so I could make bullet lube for my .45-70 Sharps.

She brought home Butter-Flavored Crisco.  After I questioned her substitution, I said "Oh, what the heck..."

The big rounds actually smell pretty good - as the smoke wafts around the shooting benches people ask what I'm cooking.   =D

That's fantastic.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2013, 09:44:51 AM »
Only reason copper alloys (brass, bronze, etc.) are considered "AP" by law is because they have superior penetration characteristics....when compared to cast lead, or copper jacketed lead bullets, not because they're actually capable of punching through 30 layers of Dyneema or X amount of Armor Steel at a particular weight/velocity.  :facepalm:

The whole guffaw about "teflon coated cop killers!" came about when some police officers were unhappy with the penetration characteristics of their standard issue cast lead .38 Special loads and started looking for something that would do better against vehicle glass and such. They found a .38 bronze solid did quite well, but was a bit harsh on the rifling in their pistols, hence the teflon lubrication. This spun out of control with the gun-grabbers and morphed into pistol AP ammo ban "for the children police officers!"

[/rant]

Solid copper/brass isn't considered AP.  IIRC, to be considered AP it has to have harder materials than lead, copper, or brass.  Otherwise, all the really good VLD turned bullets would be illegal, and since you can get them in 5.56 and 7.62 legally, new, while due to the pistol restriction AP in those calibers is illegal, turned solids aren't AP.

There must also be a content aspect, because SS109 isn't illegal, and it has steel in it.

Hell, they market 55gr FMJ in 5.7x28 legally.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2013, 08:53:18 PM »
Is that a federal definition or a local one?
Source please.

Samuel Adams

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2013, 08:56:25 PM »

If you *click* on that definition, it takes you to "18 USC § 921 - Definitions."

So, federal then, yes?
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."