Author Topic: Laughing at the anti-gun nuts.  (Read 5581 times)

birdman

• friend
Re: Laughing at the anti-gun nuts.
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2013, 09:33:03 PM »
It would be nice if, just once, someone would take my word for something.  ;)

(B) The term “armor piercing ammunition” means—

(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or

(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

And SS-109 projectiles don't count as AP because they have a lead knocker, so their core isn't "made entirely" from "one or a combination" of the listed materials.

Okay, the how are the .224 and 30 cal bullets on this page:
http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/components/rifle/banded-solids

And the ammunition here:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/171151/barnes-vor-tx-ammunition-223-remington-55-grain-triple-shock-x-bullet-hollow-point-lead-free-box-of-20

Legal?

Those bullets are "homogenous copper/zinc alloy"...in other words, BRASS.  And since the ATF has ruled that steel core (true AP) 5.56 and 7.62x(39/51) are AP and subject to the law (as they "could be used in a handgun")...why aren't they verboten?

You left out the fact there is a sporting exemption to the law you cite, at least presently, according to the BATFE.  Otherwise, there are going to be a hell of a lot of felonious BENCHREST shooters out there.

Sorry if I don't just take your word for it, but I figured even the ATF would be able to periodically search midway's website and find "illegal" ammo.  Also, I shoot solids, so I'd be very concerned if they were actually illegal.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:36:11 PM by birdman »

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2013, 10:38:03 PM »
 ;/  Barnes banded solids were classified as AP by the ATF.

In October 2011, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (“ATF”) classified
twelve individual Barnes Banded Solid projectiles as armor piercing ammunition. Following
these classifications, Barnes submitted individual “exemption request” petitions to ATF. If the
petitions are approved, the projectiles will be removed from the statutory definition of armor
piercing ammunition, and therefore Barnes will have clearance to continue manufacturing and
selling these projectiles.

As of today’s date, ATF has not ruled on any of the petitions requesting the removal of the
Banded Solid projectiles from the statutory definition of armor piercing ammunition.
Accordingly, the following eleven Banded Solid projectiles (currently listed in the 2012 Barnes
Catalog) are subject to exemption requests that are pending with ATF.

And here's that section you say I left out (even though it was the immediately following paragraph of the section I cited for anyone who clicked the link.)

(C) The term “armor piercing ammunition” does not include shotgun shot required by Federal or State environmental or game regulations for hunting purposes, a frangible projectile designed for target shooting, a projectile which the Attorney General finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes, or any other projectile or projectile core which the Attorney General finds is intended to be used for industrial purposes, including a charge used in an oil and gas well perforating device.

The short of it is: The ATF does what they want.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2013, 10:41:13 PM »
;/  Barnes banded solids were classified as AP by the ATF.

In October 2011, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (“ATF”) classified
twelve individual Barnes Banded Solid projectiles as armor piercing ammunition. Following
these classifications, Barnes submitted individual “exemption request” petitions to ATF. If the
petitions are approved, the projectiles will be removed from the statutory definition of armor
piercing ammunition, and therefore Barnes will have clearance to continue manufacturing and
selling these projectiles.

As of today’s date, ATF has not ruled on any of the petitions requesting the removal of the
Banded Solid projectiles from the statutory definition of armor piercing ammunition.
Accordingly, the following eleven Banded Solid projectiles (currently listed in the 2012 Barnes
Catalog) are subject to exemption requests that are pending with ATF.

And here's that section you say I left out (even though it was the immediately following paragraph of the section I cited for anyone who clicked the link.)

(C) The term “armor piercing ammunition” does not include shotgun shot required by Federal or State environmental or game regulations for hunting purposes, a frangible projectile designed for target shooting, a projectile which the Attorney General finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes, or any other projectile or projectile core which the Attorney General finds is intended to be used for industrial purposes, including a charge used in an oil and gas well perforating device.

The short of it is: The ATF does what they want.

That is what I figured, but it wasn't apparent in your individual post.  Sheesh.

What about other manufacturers?

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2013, 10:43:08 PM »
*shrug* As far as I know the ATF got their panties in a twist over Elite Ammunition uses some .224" barnes solids in 5.7x28mm ammunition, and then proceeded to go all Schutzstaffel on both EA and Barnes.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2013, 10:48:59 PM »
*shrug* As far as I know the ATF got their panties in a twist over Elite Ammunition uses some .224" barnes solids in 5.7x28mm ammunition, and then proceeded to go all Schutzstaffel on both EA and Barnes.

Frak.  Odd that you can still buy them (the bullets).  Does that mean that if you load them its illegal?

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2013, 11:46:36 PM »
Ask the ATF, I'm sure they'll give you a very consistent, non-contradicting and long-standing letter on the matter.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2013, 12:01:38 AM »
"CalSTRS' action targets ammunition clips that turn ordinary guns into killing machines, assault weapons and other firearms that pose extreme dangers to public health and safety," Lockyer said.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2013, 12:03:41 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"