Author Topic: Obama Brings Social Security into the Gun Control Debate  (Read 5596 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Obama Brings Social Security into the Gun Control Debate
« on: July 19, 2015, 05:54:08 PM »
Looks like Obama wants to tie the Social Security database into NICS. I would expect the same kind of errors that we've seen with the VA.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07/19/obama-looks-to-ban-social-security-recipients-from-owning-guns/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Obama Brings Social Security into the Gun Control Debate
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 06:47:50 PM »
 :facepalm:   Get your guns while you're  young enough to  use them!!! [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 07:34:39 PM »
If this goes the same way their efforts after Newtown did,  I encourage them to do their worst.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 07:56:19 PM »
Just think how many mass shootings would be prevented by this measure.

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 08:03:59 PM »
The article states:

with about 4.2 million adults receiving monthly benefits that are managed by “representative payees.”

I would certainly argue with the assumption that somebody who wants their SS payments handled by a family member is incompetent.  But the reasoning could also be used to mean they were equally incompetent to sign a contract or handle their own health care decisions.  The potential is scary.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 08:47:43 PM »
If this goes the same way their efforts after Newtown did,  I encourage them to do their worst.

Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have *expletive deleted*ed with?  >:D  [ar15]
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 09:13:37 PM »
Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have *expletive deleted*ed with?  >:D  [ar15]

Absolutely.   

Aside form the NY safe act,  the lefties trod all over their collective dicks last go round.  I'll hand them rope any time they want  >:D
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 09:26:51 PM »
Absolutely.   

Aside form the NY safe act,  the lefties trod all over their collective dicks last go round.  I'll hand them rope any time they want  >:D

Yeah, what's an old fart like me got to lose?  Don't wanna end up in no nursing home anyhow  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 10:23:21 PM »
The article states:

I would certainly argue with the assumption that somebody who wants their SS payments handled by a family member is incompetent.  But the reasoning could also be used to mean they were equally incompetent to sign a contract or handle their own health care decisions.  The potential is scary.

Oh, you would, would you?

Let's start with gramps and grammy who are cruising the country in their RV, living  it up off their SSA old age/retirement checks.  They ask sonny boy to take care of the correspondence from SSA, even to the point of giving him power of attorney to speak for them.  Are you calling gramps and grammy mentally incompetent, like the courts can declare someone after a full judicial hearing?

I suppose a medical power of attorney covers the same ground, huh?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 10:31:37 PM »
Skid, I believe griz is in agreement with you.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

griz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 10:54:42 PM »
Yep, I agree. I may have stated it poorly, but your example is one of many where a competent person would have their checks handled by someone else.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 07:28:02 AM »
Apologies, then.

I had just  gotten home after 9+ hours on the road I had to share with the usual morons who get behind the wheel.  Brian might have been just slightly fried.

stay safe.

BTW - the economy must be picking up.  Saw more folks flying by at 85+ than in a long time.  Also saw most of them sitting on the side of the road getting a ticket as I chugged along at 70 set on my cruise control.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 10:37:34 AM »
Brian might have been just slightly fried.
Poor Brian.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 10:42:01 AM »
Poor Brian.

He's had a hard Life.  One time he got mistaken for a brain and got fired.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 12:42:31 PM »
"Mmmm. Fried Brians."
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 12:47:30 PM »
Anyway, who else thinks that this* is just an attempt to prevent inheritance of firearms  ???

* the SS/guns thing, not the fired Brians  ;)

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 12:58:42 PM »
Anyway, who else thinks that this* is just an attempt to prevent inheritance of firearms  ???

* the SS/guns thing, not the fired Brians  ;)

Grandson not inheriting Grandpa's deer gun or WWII bringback is going to be a tough sell to the bitter-clinger crowd.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 01:09:41 PM »
My reading, while bad and shouldn't be done, does not seem to apply to inheritance unless I am missing something.  It would stop the person from passing a background check to buy a new gun, but would it have anything to do with the guns they already have?  Or does it make them a prohibited person and they have to give up what they already have?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 01:18:55 PM »
My reading, while bad and shouldn't be done, does not seem to apply to inheritance unless I am missing something.  It would stop the person from passing a background check to buy a new gun, but would it have anything to do with the guns they already have?  Or does it make them a prohibited person and they have to give up what they already have?

I think that's the idea.  If you're prohibited to buy then you're prohibited to own.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2015, 01:28:44 PM »
From my reading, it appears it will include "prohibited persons". If not outright immediately after it passes (if it does), then it will be the "foot in the door" strategy. This has been happening in CA, where communist Kamala Harris has been sending out state LE to confiscate firearms over the last few years as people are put on the "prohibited" list for restraining orders, etc.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 01:36:19 PM »
I think that's the idea.  If you're prohibited to buy then you're prohibited to own.

That is a nice thought but how do you go about getting them out of the hands of such people.  First step is those that start handling the SSA funds need to take possession of the firearms that Dad, Mom, Grandpa, and/or Grandma happens to have.

Too easy as of now to work around this as long as you live in most of the United States where transfer of firearms within a state don't need to go through a FFL.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2015, 02:04:12 PM »
That is a nice thought but how do you go about getting them out of the hands of such people.  ...

SWAT raids, obviously.

For the children.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2015, 03:06:54 PM »
SWAT raids, obviously.

For the children.

Gotta justify those shiny new MRAPs and NVG somehow.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2015, 03:10:00 PM »
Gotta justify those shiny new MRAPs and NVG somehow.

Grandpa had a cane in his hand so we had to shoot him  :police:

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2015, 05:00:41 PM »
Grandpa had a cane in his hand so we had to shoot him  :police:

It's been done already.  Need to come up with something newer and better.

stay safe.