Author Topic: The Catholic church now opposes the death penalty  (Read 5580 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: The Catholic church now opposes the death penalty
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 11:21:23 PM »
And like a good (Cafeteria)* Catholic, Gov. Cuomo of New York stands in solidarity with the Pope on this issue.

Now do abortion, Gov. Cuomo...

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018/08/02/gov-andrew-cuomo-in-solidarity-with-the-pope-on-the-death-penalty-abortion-not-so-much/

* - A phrase a heard a while back to describe a Catholic who picks and chooses which parts of the church's doctrine they choose to follow.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 12:01:48 AM »
Our evil government shouldn’t have the power of the death penalty anymore.

They aren’t to be trusted with life and death.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 01:45:26 AM »

I'm coming around to agree with you. I used to favor the death penalty, but The Innocence Project has proven that unless the killer is literally and conclusively caught in the act, too many innocent people have been convicted of crimes they didn't commit.

On the other side, prisons shouldn't be allowed to be training grounds for future crimes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 08:53:45 AM »

I'm also a former "hang 'em high" guy. Now I want multiple, corroborated sources, preferably with video or other irrefutable evidence. If the evidence is not as concrete as the law of gravity, then no.

It's bad enough that you have people spending 20 years in prison before DNA proves them innocent. You can cut them a $5 million check for the mistake, but it will never fix them from having to live through that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 08:58:40 AM »

Agreed.
Who could have guessed that George Orwell’s “jackboot stamping on a human face — forever” would come equipped with surgical booties?
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 09:27:54 AM »
Haven't they been against the death penalty for quite awhile?

I mean, maybe not since they stopped roasting people on stakes in the town square. But I'm pretty sure it's been awhile now.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 01:27:19 PM »
And like a good (Cafeteria)* Catholic,  . . .
* - A phrase a heard a while back to describe a Catholic who picks and chooses which parts of the church's doctrine they choose to follow.
The term actually fits this Pope fairly well, based on some of his previous utterances.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 04:00:00 PM »
Too late for this guy:

And I remain a strong supporter of the death penalty.

And the pope needs to read Genesis 9:6, where God commands capital punishment for murderers.

Not that he would care though.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 05:39:19 PM »
I'm also a former "hang 'em high" guy. Now I want multiple, corroborated sources, preferably with video or other irrefutable evidence. If the evidence is not as concrete as the law of gravity, then no.

It's bad enough that you have people spending 20 years in prison before DNA proves them innocent. You can cut them a $5 million check for the mistake, but it will never fix them from having to live through that.

I too have about the same reasoning as Ben put so well.  Purely a secular thing, nothing religious, but District Attorneys, who have to be either re-elected or re-appointed, sometimes seem to be hell- bent on getting convictions no matter what.

But video evidence? Heh. Glad you added "corroborated," Ben.

https://youtu.be/u7cGzYc3_2E

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 05:43:23 PM »
I too have about the same reasoning as Ben put so well.  Purely a secular thing, nothing religious, but District Attorneys, who have to be either re-elected or re-appointed, sometimes seem to be hell- bent on getting convictions no matter what. 

Well, they have to [appear to] be "tough on crime," you know. And everyone knows you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 06:54:09 PM »

And the pope needs to read Genesis 9:6, where God commands capital punishment for murderers.

Concur.

And, yeah, the RCC has been against the death penalty for a long time.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 08:43:03 PM »
Too late for this guy:

[img]http://www.exclassics.com/foxe/foxe075.gif[

Though I'm pretty sure God is only good with the death penalty for the guilty, not railroaded innocent people.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 11:49:25 PM »
Though I'm pretty sure God is only good with the death penalty for the guilty, not railroaded innocent people.

That's covered by the part where God says only to execute if there is video and DNA and a confession as proof.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2018, 12:10:24 AM »
As read in Exculpatories 1:87.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2018, 01:25:20 AM »

Take 2: Because God was totally unaware that humans could make mistakes, or be prejudiced, or just not care. Had He only known...

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 02:47:32 AM »
Take 2: Because God was totally unaware that humans could make mistakes, or be prejudiced, or just not care. Had He only known...
:rofl: :rofl:

Twice as funny when I realized who posted that.

Very good.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 08:54:57 AM »
Our judicial system increasingly not only abandons equity and justice but imposes injustices upon the people.

Have you taken a good hard look at the character of our rulers? Yes, I said rulers as that is what they have become. They are frequently not up to the challenge of making just rulings about the small things. Giving them the power of life and death is insane. Do you read the headlines and the news, with all the crazy rulings that our judicial system foists upon us? They are in large part not worthy of their authority.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2018, 11:57:37 AM »
That's covered by the part where God says only to execute if there is video and DNA and a confession as proof.

The Bible's rules for the Hebrew nation says two witness were required to impose the death penalty.

Not that our gov should be taking its laws from the Bible- however opposing the death penalty in all cases is a blatantly unscriptural position for a Christian Church to take.  It seems like the Catholic Church has much sympathy for murderers, criminals, and terrorists, and little sympathy for the victims of their priests.

I agree that fear of a imposing the death penalty wrongly is a good argument for not imposing it.  I do not subscribe to this argument, but respect it.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2018, 12:44:25 AM »

This. I still believe it is necessary, but they better be 100% correct.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2018, 12:52:30 AM »

It seems like the Catholic Church has much sympathy for murderers, criminals, and terrorists, and little sympathy for the victims of their priests.

"Hate the sin but love the sinner." Lah-dee-dah-dee-dah-dee-dah ...

I agree that fear of a imposing the death penalty wrongly is a good argument for not imposing it.  I do not subscribe to this argument, but respect it.

I'm not totally against the death penalty. If we know with absolute certainty that someone committed a murder, I'm okay with the death penalty. What I'm not okay with is convictions based on circumstantial or second- or third-hand evidence ... the kind of evidence that has convicted people who were found (20 or more years later) to be totally innocent based on DNA. That's what leaves you wondering how in the world they were convicted in the first place, and makes you glad they weren't executed.

Back in my [much] younger days, there was a case in New Haven, Connecticut. A young woman named Penny Serra (Sera?) was murdered in a parking garage. The New Haven police early on fixated on a young man whom they were absolutely certain was the killer. They harassed him for years, and basically ruined his life. That's bad enough but, because they were so busy pursuing him, they overlooked other clues. Something like 25 or 30 years later, a DNA sample brought them to a cab driver, who was subsequently convicted (don't remember if he confessed) of the murder. One tends to wonder if they might not have caught him years earlier if they hadn't been so certain the innocent young man was the killer.

It's difficult to support the death penalty when you know the police are prone to pursuing innocent people because of their preconceptions, and the prosecutors are more interested in winning a conviction than they are in ensuring that justice is done. Sadly, the world we live in is not the ideal world I was brought up to hope for.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 05:16:17 PM »
My perspective on mistakes is this... just about every important activity Americans do kills innocent people.  Pollution from our coal plants kills thousands of us a year.  Doctors kill tens of thousands of people.  Fishing, mining, logging, transportation, riding horses, etc kill lots of folks.  Little kids drown by the dozens each year in home pools.

We are willing to accept accidental deaths to have guns, cars, horses, lumber, etc... even something trivial like home pools or five gallon buckets are going to kill more Americans every year than any possible number of mistaken executions.

I am willing to accept the risk to have the death penalty for murderers, because I think it is important that murderers be killed..

You may disagree.  That is fine.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2018, 05:56:59 PM »
I take a pretty absolutist stand though I shed few tears for the guilty who receive justice here on earth.

We had a real death penalty fluster *let's not go there* some years ago here in Illinois that revealed how evil those charged with seeking justice can be.

They aren’t getting my consent anymore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2018, 06:23:51 PM »
Our judicial system increasingly not only abandons equity and justice but imposes injustices upon the people.

Have you taken a good hard look at the character of our rulers? Yes, I said rulers as that is what they have become. They are frequently not up to the challenge of making just rulings about the small things. Giving them the power of life and death is insane. Do you read the headlines and the news, with all the crazy rulings that our judicial system foists upon us? They are in large part not worthy of their authority.

"Giving them the power"? That may hold in some states, but in many states, they already have that power. Historically, most polities have had it. You're framing this as if something new were being proposed, but even in Illinois, it would just be a return to the normal state of affairs.

Yes, obviously, we have some unjust rulers, and some "insane" legal situations. The death penalty is hardly the only area where that has tragic, life-or-death consequences. The answer is a general reform of the culture and government; not doing away with the death penalty.

Come to think of it, abolishing the death penalty only adds to the injustice already in our system. Think about it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 07:30:01 PM by fistful »

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2018, 08:25:21 AM »
"Giving them the power"? That may hold in some states, but in many states, they already have that power. Historically, most polities have had it. You're framing this as if something new were being proposed, but even in Illinois, it would just be a return to the normal state of affairs.

Yes, obviously, we have some unjust rulers, and some "insane" legal situations. The death penalty is hardly the only area where that has tragic, life-or-death consequences. The answer is a general reform of the culture and government; not doing away with the death penalty.

Come to think of it, abolishing the death penalty only adds to the injustice already in our system. Think about it.

Not being a Catholic I just looked into their reasoning for not supporting the death penalty. Pretty weak sauce indeed. A person doesn’t lose his human dignity even after committing a heinous crime? They’re nuts.

My stance against abortion is due to it being evil, it is a wrong. The incredibly rare circumstance where it has to take place, where it is the mother or babies life or maybe both at risk is a question of the lesser of two evils. It should carry little to no weight in the argument about elective abortion. If an abortion is performed under that incredibly rare needful circumstance it is always a tragedy, not justice nor even a good. Everyone suffers and loses.

My stance against the death penalty is more a stance against the current system. Not the actual act itself. Putting to death a murder is in fact justice, a good. Our justice system is increasingly becoming less just and the death of innocent individuals is a real possibility/probability.