Author Topic: Ice  (Read 782 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Ice
« on: February 25, 2022, 07:50:11 PM »
The small hill in front of my house is HIGHLY polished.

My van was trying to go sideways. Finally got it stopped. In park. I got out. And it started sliding.

Luckily it missed a Cadillac and a Ford Fungus...

Gotta check with one of my neighbors, see if it got too close with his truck. I can't see, and I can't walk on the street.

The skinny jeans Not Toshiro neighbor who was kind enough to move the Fungus so I could get the van straightened into a parking spot was astonished that I am going to do that.
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Ice
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 08:28:54 PM »
Yeah, the 2 days of sleet and freezing rain was not bad. But it sure froze good and hard this morning. Wasn't really expecting that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 08:30:24 PM »
This is what I keep a pair of Yaktrax for.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 08:55:31 PM »
What are Yaktrax, and can you apply them when the vehicle starts sliding the moment you exit it?
Blog under construction

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 08:59:30 PM »
Screw the van my ass ain't going to hit the ground.

https://www.amazon.com/Yaktrax-Traction-Cleats-Walking-Large/dp/B0094GO8Q8/
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 09:41:40 PM »
My two wheels with studded tires on them are 180 miles away...
Blog under construction

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2022, 09:54:37 PM »
What are Yaktrax, and can you apply them when the vehicle starts sliding the moment you exit it?

crampons with a fun name.  I've used those and a few other styles,  and wouldn't recommend yaktrax.  I can't find a link for the ones I use for general running around,  but they're a rubber web with little carbide spikes.  They add traction without being annoying on dry pavement.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2022, 10:14:24 PM »
Sort of considering going out to the workshop and modifying some tacks... I've got a pair of Docs that I got while trying to find comfy boots, and they didn't make the cut. But I bet I can turn 'em into hobnailed...

The van finally got sort of paralled and off the street. Fun part is going to be going to work tomorrow. I don't have any salt, or at least not enough for the street. But I have about 50# of kitty litter oil dry...
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2022, 11:02:23 PM »
Oh, and by the way... The whole time it was sliding about 20 yards until the front wheels went over the curb and stopped on a small rise... I was hanging onto the drivers' inside door handle and the steering wheel, boots sliding on the shiny ice... Steering wheel did NOTHING and it was sort of moving at an angle... Probably yelled "Oh BLEEP!" about 15 or 20 times in that slow motion dance...
Blog under construction

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2022, 11:05:01 PM »
I wear these ice fishing, I wear out a pair every season on the ice, but I hole hop, walk miles on the ice and I don't pull them off until I get home.

https://www.sportsmans.com/fishing-gear-supplies/ice-fishing/ice-fishing-footwear/ice-cleats/ht-enterprises-sure-grip-safety-tread-ice-cleats/p/p1369039
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2022, 12:31:50 AM »
The sidewalks in this neighborhood are like glass right now.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2022, 06:19:10 AM »
I keep some kitty litter mixed with a little table salt in my car.

Been retired for a decade+ now, no need to venture out in most cases.  I'm in a valley in three directions, fourth one, I have no need to go that way, But the salted kitty litter came in handy once or twice when I was commuting.\

I was interested in those tire socks just out of curiosity. 
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2022, 07:45:26 AM »
I keep a set of tire socks in both vehicles just for emergencies.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2022, 10:19:27 AM »
I am SO hurting today... That surfing next to it took a toll... And looking back, I was on the downhill side of it... If I had lost my grip, I probably would have gone under it. Or if it had slid into the Fungus, I would have had a good chance of being smashed by the door...
Blog under construction

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2022, 12:54:16 PM »
Pure ice is nasty - I remember one time when I was still in MN we got ice during the day, and my driveway was glazed when I got home. About 50 feet long and with a little over a 2 foot rise, I had a hell of a hard time making it all the way up, even with my 4x4 Bronco. (Which had positrac differentials front and rear.)

A colleague had video he took from his apartment balcony of the hilly parking lot where a guy came out, went to his vehicle (walking on the grass because the pavement was too slippery), got in, pulled out of his parking space - and immediately went into an uncontrolled slide until he crashed into a retaining wall.

This was bad enough, but THREE MORE PEOPLE came out over the next 10 minutes and did EXACTLY the same thing - with nearly the same results; the only difference was they crashed not into the retaining wall, but into the vehicle(s) already there.   :facepalm:   :rofl:

I am SO hurting today... That surfing next to it took a toll... And looking back, I was on the downhill side of it... If I had lost my grip, I probably would have gone under it. Or if it had slid into the Fungus, I would have had a good chance of being smashed by the door...
Be glad you're hurting - it means you're alive. Could have been much, MUCH worse.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2022, 04:11:49 PM »
crampons with a fun name.  I've used those and a few other styles,  and wouldn't recommend yaktrax.  I can't find a link for the ones I use for general running around,  but they're a rubber web with little carbide spikes.  They add traction without being annoying on dry pavement.

You might have Kahtoolas. I recently researched traction devices after getting sick and tired of sliding around on icy trails. I ended up getting the basic Yaktrax since they were available locally and on clearance for 30% off. They make a huge difference and allow one to walk on sheer ice without slipping.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2022, 07:48:37 PM »
You might have Kahtoolas. I recently researched traction devices after getting sick and tired of sliding around on icy trails. I ended up getting the basic Yaktrax since they were available locally and on clearance for 30% off. They make a huge difference and allow one to walk on sheer ice without slipping.

That's them.  Nanospikes.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2022, 09:56:59 PM »
My two wheels with studded tires on them are 180 miles away...

IIRC, studded tires are illegal in IL-ANNOY.  Too much "highway damage".  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2022, 11:44:55 PM »
Be glad you're hurting - it means you're alive. Could have been much, MUCH worse.

Yeah - I woke up about 0330 yesterday morning, legs cramping like a bad word, and damn near screaming... A little delay, I guess...

Today? I wish I had video...
Blog under construction