Author Topic: Home speakers  (Read 621 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Home speakers
« on: March 02, 2022, 05:38:30 PM »
If you have the room, and a moderate budget, these are probably the best under $1k speakers I have ever heard... I had them in my house, and while the room wasn't really big enough for them, they were still pretty damn good.

https://youtu.be/4N6vZ6CoSeM
Blog under construction

HankB

• friend
Re: Home speakers
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 09:34:48 AM »
Interesting - with things like earbuds, sub/sat systems, and MP3 audio the current rage, I haven't seen discussions of high end speakers for quite a while.

I used to live pretty close (1/2 hour drive) from Magnepan, the speaker manufacturer you mentioned. Around 35 or so years ago (THAT long ago? I'm feeling old!) I was upgrading my stereo system and I think I remember auditioning Magneplanar speakers at a local retailer. I ended up buying Polk SDA-2a speakers instead, because they just flat out sounded better. I still have them and they still sound great.

Of course, what Magnepan and Polk were manufacturing back then has little or nothing to do with today's offerings from either manufacturer. If I were in the market for new speakers (I'm not) I would definitely try to audition the ones you mention. I don't have any emotional tie to make me loyal to a particular manufacturer - I just want what sounds best within my budget.

I'll close this post on a related topic - from what I know of the world of high end audio - and speakers - I think the people who spend ten bucks an inch for super-duper speaker wire are idiots.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 10:38:19 AM »
The "Bass Ultraflex"

I built these which served really well:

http://espacenomeutente.altervista.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/onkenfig1small.gif

With 16" woofers with umpteen pound magnets, the bass would make you fart.

(Something earbuds won't do.)

Hello, 1812 Overture.

The first one I cut the lumber myself.  When stereo got popular, I built another one but had the lumber yard do the cutting.

There are several variations of this nowadays which have a smaller footprint.  You can also stand the one(s) shown in the link on their sides.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 10:54:38 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 11:25:45 AM »
My paradigm speakers are over 25 years old and are getting buzzy at times. I would like to replace them and update some of my audio system.  I have a large great room with 13’ vaulted ceiling and bigger speaks would probably do well there.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 06:22:18 PM »
I have a recording of the Cincy 1812, with real cannons... It _will_ destroy speakers if you let it.
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 06:32:06 PM »
The subwoofer I had in my basement had a pair of 15" drivers with the box ported to about 21hz... When the dinosaur stomped, you knew it. When the helicopters took off in Blackhawk Down, you knew it (8hz sustained bass...). That was in the basement, mostly for movies and rock... The living room  upstairs had the maggies, and was mostly jazz, bluegrass and Grateful Dead.
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2022, 07:28:07 PM »
^
"
The living room  upstairs had the maggies...
"

Newslang?  Bogiespeak?  Midranges?

Even the whzbang auto-editor didn't have that one.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2022, 10:14:43 PM »
Slang for magneplanar speakers...
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2022, 01:52:39 AM »
Ah !  OK ! Now I are smarter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnepan

More or less same setup as electrostatic speakers but magnetic, kinda-sorta.

I would guess they would have to bias the conductors to prevent doubling the frequencies, no?  Like the need to bias the electrostatic speakers?

I haven't been "into" high end audio for a couple of decades.  Gunshots, nagwifes, politicians...

You know how it goes.

Mucho Danke

Terry

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2022, 02:06:41 AM »

I haven't been "into" high end audio for a couple of decades.  Gunshots, nagwifes, politicians...

You know how it goes.

Mucho Danke

Terry

Magnepans were around in the '70s.  (That's about 5 decades.)  ;)
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2022, 09:32:07 AM »
Always thought Mags were super cool. Never had an opportunity to hear them.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2022, 09:38:39 AM »
The only time I heard them they were good but I thought a little overhyped. I was mostly a rocker back then and not as into classical as I am now.

Incredibly transparent and amazing soundstage, but they didn't have "punch" or a lot on the bottom end. This was back in the 90's so I'm sure they have gotten even better.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2022, 02:29:05 PM »
I Just happen to have some higher end speakers for sale from my nephew's estate:
https://www.orbaudio.com/collections/surround-sound-speakers
(click images to see in original size)

ORB Audio Super Eight 200 watt  Powered Subwoofer with crossover: $125

ORB Audio Copper Surround Sound Speakers (7) and Stands (4): $350
https://www.orbaudio.com/collections/mounts-stands

As you can see, this is a STEAL.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 02:22:44 AM by HeroHog »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2022, 02:54:16 PM »
Magnepans were around in the '70s.  (That's about 5 decades.)  ;)

I had investigated some kind of "planar"
 speakers at a iocal "hi fi" shop and wasn't impressed. I'm pretty sure they were electrostatic, not magnetic.

By then I had settled in with my two bass ultraflex speakers (as above) and was dinking around with reel-to reel tape decks.  I had a Sony TC-560, I believe it was*.  The trouble with deep bass speakers was I could not find or afford a record turntable where the turntable rumble didn't come through, so I was moving to tape. At one point I was getting pretty sure much of the turntable rumble was from the original record cutting lathes since it seemed to vary from record to record.

I had my own rifle range at that point in life and I began to drift away from achieving audio perfection since my own hearing was drifting away from perfection --muffs and plugs notwithstanding.

Terry

*ETA Yes it was.  Best "portable" (ha!) tape recorder of the time:

"Sony TC-560 Reel to Reel Tape Recorder Four track stereo and mono recorder 7 1/2 ips (19 cm/s), 3 3/4 ips (9,5 cm/s), 1 7/8 ips (4,8 cm/s) 20-21.000Hz at 7 1/2 ips 20-15.000Hz at 3 3/4 ips 20-8.000Hz at 1 7/8 ips Power output 5W per channel 56 transistors and 26 diodes."

They averred they had some kind of super dooper oober doober technique for keeping the recording head gaps extremely small which allowed the great high end response. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 03:40:35 PM by 230RN »

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2022, 11:08:56 PM »
The maggies were great with jazz, bluegrass, classical, and so on... Damn, but the remaster of Take Five or Dire Straits Brothers in Arms... They'd cause goosebumps...

Metal? Not so much.

Huge soundstage... Sit in a chair with your eyes closed, and you could tell where the different instruments were with a good recording.
Blog under construction