Author Topic: Yet Another Car Question -- Noisy Lifters  (Read 6640 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Yet Another Car Question -- Noisy Lifters
« on: December 30, 2007, 08:35:53 AM »
So my Trooper has for the last six months been doing what Troopers of my vintage are known for, making clackety valve / lifter noises. Apparently something with the tolerances of this particular engine and carbon deposits blocking lubrication to the valve train. I'm at 65,000 miles with it, so it seems a likely cause. Anyways, to the question:

I'm not a big fan of additives, but doing research I've come across two reasonable sounding suggestions for getting rid of noise / deposits without removing engine parts.

The first is to substitute a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil for a quart of oil about 500-1000 miles before the next oil change. The solvent properties are supposed to clean things up and you then do your regular oil change and noise is reduced or gone.

The second is using something called SeaFoam, which I'd not heard of before. Same basic steps as above, except you put it in and drive for no more than 30 minutes, then immediately do an oil change (apparently this stuff is really thin and solventy (if that's a word)).

Has anyone used either of these, or something else entirely with positive results? Whatever I try, I want something that I just try once as a "flush". I'm not convinced regular use of additives is beneficial to any engine condition.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grislyatoms

• friends
Re: Yet Another Car Question -- Noisy Lifters
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 09:10:35 AM »
I have never heard of Seafoam, and only second-hand experience with Marvel Mystery Oil.

Worst case being in my Grandma's car; she hadn't changed the oil in years. They added some MMO, it did well for a couple of days but then the oil light started flickering and then came on solid.

The MMO broke down such a volume of grime and deposits that the oil became so viscous the oil pump couldn't pump it! IIRC, they had to flush the block with kerosene several times to get all the gunk out.

I have heard other stories about it doing wonders, and some stories about it just being ATF suspended (or emulsified, or whatever) with oil. ATF being, as I understand it, just a detergent.

Personally, the only additives I use are STP oil treatment every oil change and a yearly bottle of injector cleaner. I dislike putting stuff in there that doesn't belong.     

"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 09:22:44 AM »
I dislike putting stuff in there that doesn't belong.     

I agree.The reason I wouldn't be too worried (I think) about Marvel, is that I've always been meticulous about changing oil by the 3K mile mark and using good filters. I think the carbon deposits on the Isuzu 3.5L are supposed to be partially due to extremely small lube pathways. That indicates to me it wouldn't take much to block stuff, but there also wouldn't be a lot of gunk loosening up and floating around in the oil.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 09:44:30 AM »
Sounds like you would be alright then. Still, caveat emptor and all that jazz. Might want to change your oil filter, maybe the oil too, frequently if you go ahead with it.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 09:53:23 AM »
Seafoam is good stuff. It has been around awhile, I believe it was originally developed for boat engines. It has a decent following on Totalmotorcycle.com, the bike board I frequent. I'd give it a try.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 10:28:25 AM »
Whichever product I end up using, I definitely plan on doing a second oil/filter change at around 1000 miles just in case.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 11:38:50 AM »
If you'll look in the BITOG forums (bunch of guys that are waaay too much into engine oils Smiley ) there is a product they like that's made specifically to clean inside engines. It should be noted these things DO work but may cause the build-ups to release in chunks that can clog or restrict an oil pickup screen and cause even worse problems. I don't recommend trying to clean inside an engine with solvents for that very reason.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 02:02:39 PM »
Are they hydraulic lifters?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 02:39:51 PM »
Used a can of sea foam today.  Nasty stuff, don't drink it.  I pour it into the intake to clean injectors.  I wouldn't hesitate pouring a can in the crankcase.  I've also used straight kerosene.  Did no harm.

My test is to get a heavily deposited engine part (oil filler cap, dipstick, drain plug) and dip it into the snake oil in question.  Kerosene doesn't do much.  Sea foam works quicker than MMO.

I have a number of well used, low cost, low tech vehicles.  One thing I do to keep the lower end shiny is occasionally run a quart of transmission fluid along with the balance of crankcase oil.  (I read your post, I do it anyway)  No trailering or heavy loads, just an hour of easy highway speeds.  Disperses the gunk and grit.  Then do a regular oil change.  This is regular procedure, so if you've got serious rattles, try the following.

If the trooper is really grungy (or if you're not the original owner)  remove the oil pan and clean it out.  Look at (remove?) the oil pump pickup and clean out any screens.  A clogged intake screen can starve the pump and top end of oil, leading to death rattle.  Be sure to have a new pan gasket on hand, and gently clean the mating surfaces. (I like Brake Cleaner, but it gets $$$)

ALSO, my Rover is really finicky when it comes to filters.  It hates the popular orange filters, but runs great on with a Wix.  Some motors develop different pressures.

Speaking of pressures, check and clean all the breathers, vents and valves (e.g. Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve).

Finally, in the Grey cold north, I go to a thinner oil in the winter (5W-30).  I've also heard that synthetics are easier to pump.

User a good filter (try a Mobil-One, and don't feel bad about running through two changes [8000 miles]) Clean your sump and intake (after running the snake oil) and let's hear what happens.
7-11 was a part time job.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 05:50:40 PM »
SeaFoam is good stuff. So is Marvel Mystery Oil. I would try the Marvel first, and move on to SeaFoam of the MMO doesn't work. But ...

A Trooper with valve lifters? The Trooper isn't overhead cam? (I'm asking -- don't know anything about foreign iron.) Even if you really have lifters, how many miles are on the engine? And are you certain the clicking is really the lifters and not worn rocker arms or something up at or near the top of the head? If you have hydraulic lifters, they're buried down inside the block. It's not common to hear lifters ticking.

{EDIT} Just re-read the original post. 65,000 miles and you have lifter noise? Hardly plausible. I once worked with a female engineer type who ran her company car for 80,000+ miles with NO oil changes, and amazingly it didn't seem to have done much damage. If you have been at all conscientious about regular oil changes, it's difficult to think there's a lifter problem at 65,000 miles.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 06:26:45 PM »
Well there is a DEFINITE ticking / tapping noise coming from the passenger side (V6), especially when cold. When I did some Google searches there were reports of this being a known issue with carbon build up being the most likely culprit. Plus I have two acquaintances who have the same noise in their Troopers. One of them is just letting it go, the other one let Jiffy Lube put some kind of gunk in his and he said it reduced the noise, but I won't take any Jiffy Lube additive recommendation.

If somebody here has other ideas of what this might be, I'm by no means a mechanical expert -- this just sounds like valve tapping and the search info seemed to bear it out.

Edited to add: Just as an example of what I'm seeing on the interweb (l think lash adjusters are tied into lifters -- or not?):

Engine noise: Ticking noise from the top of 3.2L V6 engine may be due to hydraulic lash adjuster failure caused by varnish deposits and using 0W-30 Mobil I synthetic oil has been successful in cleaning them. (1997-earlier)

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 12:24:19 AM »
Hydraulic lifters are easy to clean, you just need to take them out, take them apart, scrub the insides so they slide again, and out them back in.

Never saw any type of chemistry take care of them.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 04:29:34 AM »
I had a stuck lifter on my 1978 Ford van a few years ago. I put a quart of MMO in the engine and drove around for about 45 minutes. Then I drained the oil and replaced it with diesel engine oil. The diesel engine oil is supposed to have  more detergent type additives than gas engine oil. I don't know if that is true or not, but it didn't cost that much more. I ran that oil for 3000 miles, changed it out and didn't have any lifter problems with the engine for the next 3 years. It was still noise free when I changed the cam and lifters during an engine performance upgrade.

bob

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 11:37:52 AM »
A cracked exhaust manifold will go...
ptft pft ptft pft ptft pft ptft pft ptft pft
and can sound like a lifter.

Run the snake oil.  It won't hurt, 'tis cheap - won't help cracked exhaust manifolds.
7-11 was a part time job.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 11:43:28 AM »
A cracked exhaust manifold will go...
ptft pft ptft pft ptft pft ptft pft ptft pft
and can sound like a lifter.

Come to think of it ... so can a leaking "doughnut" on one side between the manifold and exhaust pipe (I'm thinking older GM design here, so forgive me if it doesn't apply to a Zoo-Sue)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 12:09:08 PM »
SeaFoam is mostly alcohol (methyl).  It softens carbon deposits and allows them to be burned out of the combustion chamber.  It was originally used to decarbon 2-cycle marine engines.  Does a pretty fair job of getting the gunk out of most cylinders, presuming you can find a decently efficient way of getting it in there.

Marvel Myster Oil is okay, though I'm not a big fan of using more than a few ounces.  It, ATF, and machine oil are all equally effective.  A lot of people swear by replacing one quart of oil with ATF or MMO to clean up a gunky engine.  It works, but I'm not so sure of the side-effects.  Given the small tolerances and extreme pressures involved, not to mention the large repair bills should the cure be worse than the disease, make me leery of pouring anything but engine oil in the fill tube.

You can run Redline synthetic oil.  Being a group V synthetic it has solvent properties that dino-based and Group IV synthetics don't have.  And it's ALL engine oil, not something you just mix in and that might have questionable effects on the lubricity of your engine oil.  It will slowly, but certainly, clean up the innards of your Trooper.  Do a full oil change, then change the filter and top it off every 1K for five or six thou.  That should have the indside of your engine all sparkly clean again.  Plus, it will be easier to crank in the cold.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 09:33:48 AM »
I have heard tales of people who had pretty good success switching to a synthetic oil to clean out their engine.

I have also heard good stories from people who allow the quick lube places to use engine cleaning stuff, and even good stories from people who drain the oil from their engines, replace it with diesel, run it for a while, drain, replace filter, and put in regular oil.

My guess is all these things will remove at least some gunk from the innards of your engine. I have also heard that some people with severe gunk problems have made it worse by loosening up the stuff that is sitting on the inside of their valve covers or settled in the bottom of their oil pan, and some people have advocated taking these off to check for deposits before trying these kind of things.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
Given how paranoid I am about changing oil and filters (all the fluids actually), I can't see my engine having a lot of gunk in it and I'm more inclined to see this as an engineering design flaw re: lubrication pathways.

I really like Brad's idea about trying the synthetic oil. I might try that first and if I don't hear any difference, I can work my way up to MMO, SeaFoam, and if all else fails, taking things apart. Or maybe just leaving them -- my one buddy has been driving around with the ticking for over 3 years and has 120,000 miles on his. Seems to run fine except for the annoying noise. I'm just a worry wart that if there's noise, it means something needs some lubrication.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 10:59:10 AM »
Years back, Oldsmobiles were notorious for sticky lifters.  For some reason there would be a buildup of varnish and they'd stick in the compressed position while parked.

"Rislone" was a frequently used answer for that particular problem.  Do an oil/filter change, and put in one quart of Rislone in with the other oil.
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 12:12:40 PM »
Or maybe just leaving them -- my one buddy has been driving around with the ticking for over 3 years and has 120,000 miles on his.

Actually, I was going to recommend ear plugs but decided maybe I shouldn't be such a smart-*expletive deleted*ss  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2008, 01:03:28 PM »
Rislone is still around and it works pretty well for quieting the things afflicting noisy hydraulic lifters. In fact, I just put a quart in Ol' Hulsey, my grandfather's old '69 Ford pickup. He'd done that from time to time ever since it was new and I see no reason to part with tradition.  I run it in my imported 4 cylinder truck engine and it keeps those little ticky lifters on all 16 valves quiet, too.

Marvel Oil seems to be a little heavier viscosity than Rislone but works just as well from my vantage point. Used to dose my rotary engined Mazda with it every now and again.  Both are pretty good at de-sticking sticky things, such as small engines that have been sitting too long.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

mfree

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2008, 05:04:36 PM »
MMO, IIRC, has wintergreen oil in it. Also IIRC, it was top end lube for the big aircraft radials back when they were hunting for something that'd actually burn, unlike castor oil.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 09:23:44 AM »
I really like Brad's idea about trying the synthetic oil.

Just make sure it's Redline.  Royal Purple, as well as most other recognizeable "full" synthetic, are Group IV oils and don't have the solvent properties of Redline.

Also, beware that most retail-ready oils labeled synthetic are actually Group III (dino) based with a synthetic additive package.  Castrol was the first to do it.  Mobil sued them, claiming that a sythetic additive package in dino oil does not a true synthetic make.  Castrol won and has continued the practice.  Interestingly enough, Mobil, who was all hot and bothered about Castrol's little end-around, is now pulling the same stunt with many of their "sythetic" oils (including their most popular, Mobil 1 10w-30).  Many manufacturers have come full circle and again have a Group IV based oil they are labeling "Full Synthetic".

If you'd like to learn more head over to www.bobistheoilguy.com

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2008, 01:19:09 PM »
Resurrected my old thread because after waiting for enough oil to burn off to add an additive, I finally tried a remedy and thought the info might be helpful.

I ended up topping off the oil with around 3/4 quart of Marvel Mystery Oil and driving it like I stole it for about 400 miles. Now I can only barely hear any noise with my hood up and my head in the engine compartment. Before, I could easily hear it from inside with my window down. 

I just drained the old oil and switched from dino to 5-30WT synthetic, so I'm gonna monitor the situation and see if the ticking stays away now. 

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
Never used MMO in the oil, but I've heard it works great in the gas tank for solving your problems.....

Anyone here ever try RxP?......Is it any better than the B12 Chemtool that I put in my gas every oil change?...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.