Author Topic: Man Saves Own Life, Uses Steak Knife for At-Home Tracheotomy  (Read 6652 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Man Saves Own Life, Uses Steak Knife for At-Home Tracheotomy
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 09:01:44 PM »
But the guy with the tracheotomy would very likely get winded a LOT earlier than the guy with one arm. Once that happens, the one-armed hiker could dance circles around him and pummel him.

Trachs increase O2 access to the lungs. Sorry Mike, the guy with the Trach would likely last longer.

Medical tracheotomies do.

I sincerely doubt that that would be the case with someone using a steak knife and the nearest available tube.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

SomeKid

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2008, 09:04:17 PM »
But the guy with the tracheotomy would very likely get winded a LOT earlier than the guy with one arm. Once that happens, the one-armed hiker could dance circles around him and pummel him.

Trachs increase O2 access to the lungs. Sorry Mike, the guy with the Trach would likely last longer.

Medical tracheotomies do.

I sincerely doubt that that would be the case with someone using a steak knife and the nearest available tube.

If his tubing worked to save his life, it was good enough. If you ever get to watch trach care performed (hang around me for a while, I did it a few months ago on one of my patients. I am sure I will get another one day) you will be underwhelmed at the sophistication.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2008, 01:19:07 AM »
Until I hear of a DIY vasectomy then these two guys are not that tough.
Been done IIRC. Some guy who lived in former East Germany, where it was illegal to sterilize oneself at that time. He figured he had all the kids he wanted, so he got it done with the help of a scalpel and a book on anatomy.
Later on he went even further and split his entire penis. Only he and God knows why...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2008, 07:49:12 AM »
Yes, the tubing worked to save his life.

That's not the point of the sub exercise, which is who would win in a fight -- one arm or hole neck.

I have see an emergency trach done. I was holding the woman's head still while the paramedic did the cutting.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2008, 09:08:14 AM »
Eesh
Gives me the heebers.
But I'm going to supplement my daily gear with a small straw, just in case...
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2008, 09:10:45 AM »
Hmm, I used to be a paramedic, and I was not trained to do a trach.  I was trained, and did do a few cricothyrotomies in the field.  Perhaps contemporary paramedic training in some locales does include a trach.  It is much faster and easier to do a crico, though.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2008, 09:18:53 AM »
My money's on "lefty". All he really needs is one finger to stick into "wheezy's" hole.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2008, 10:31:43 AM »
You need something more durable than a straw, something that won't compress easily. In the episode of MASH they used the stem off a plastic eye dropper (I wonder if they were using plastic commonly back then in medicine bottles?)...

The tracheal cartilage reinforce the trachea and keep it open. If you stick your finger in the notch at the top of your breast bone and feel there up to your Adam's Apple (either the cricoid or thyroid cartilage, it's been a long time since anatomy class), you'll feel several distinct rings. That's the tracheal cartilage. They're spaced fairly close together, and if the tube you use isn't durable enough, it will crush.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2008, 01:32:42 PM »
Good question.

Both are nuts....I'd think the arm guy....took longer to do....

With a dull swiss army knife.  He had to break the bone with a rock.  Hands down winner.

Yea, I remember that.  That dude must clang when he walks.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2008, 01:55:11 PM »
pharmicists mate on a russian sub did the appendectomy bit 30 years ago
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2008, 07:19:13 PM »
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2008, 08:11:13 PM »
Actually on the MASH episode it was a pen tube not an eye dropper if I remember correctly.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!