Author Topic: So How is this any Different from what the Mullahs Do?  (Read 6641 times)

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
So How is this any Different from what the Mullahs Do?
« on: August 23, 2005, 06:37:23 AM »
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson called on Monday for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, calling him a terrific danger to the United States.

Robertson, founder of the Christian Coalition of America and a former presidential candidate, said on The 700 Club it was the United States duty to stop Chavez from making Venezuela a launching pad for communist infiltration and Muslim extremism.
Televangelist calls Venezuelan president a terrific danger to U.S.

So how is this nut job any different from Islamic mullahs calling for Jihad and the killing of infidels? Wonder when the Pat Robertson Schools for Christian Supremacy and World Domination will start springing up?

This kind of  crap spewing forth from a so called religious leader makes me sick - and to think its coming out of the USA is even worse. But then I guess the 1st Amendment gives him the right to spew his crap the same as it gives the mullahs the right to spew theirs.

[shakes head] Makes me wonder if in 20 years if civilization will still be around...
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 07:27:37 AM »
The difference is that this guy's assine remarks are not considered to be binding theology for millions of people.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 08:17:34 AM »
+1, yeager

Additionally, Robertson doesn't have any real influence in his government, other than as a well-known person, probably with some influential friends.  So, what Robertson says is only the viewpoint of a private citizen.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 09:21:12 AM »
And the fact that Chavez is a brutal dictator in the Castro mold who will cause the US no end of trouble.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 09:56:26 AM »
Perhaps he could hire Tinky-Winky as a contracted hitman to go in and take Chavez out.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 12:46:37 PM »
Hmmm.  Religious Fundamentalist Leader calls for murder of the President.  

This sounds like a job for the Patriot Act.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 12:56:55 PM »
Pat can say whatever he wants-because he's Forgiven!  rolleyes
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Glock Glockler

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 12:57:07 PM »

The Jihadist Mullahs want Muslims to kill people because they're infidels (non-muslims).

Robinson is advocating taking out an oppressive communist dictator because of his actions, not because of his beliefs.

Robinson is 100% correct.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 01:55:57 PM »
>So How Is This Any Different From What The Mullahs Do?<

It isn't any different. Just another religious fanatic by another name.
It looks like Taliban Pat has exposed himself and his ilk for what I believe they have been all along.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 05:52:57 PM »
Religious fanatic?  Whatever you may think of Pat Robertson, this alone does not make him a "religious fanatic."  He suggested something a non-religious person might suggest, and for political rather than religious reasons.  If he said, "We must assasinate this man because he opposes the will of God;" then you'd have a religious fanatic.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 06:51:33 PM »
Fistful,

No that comment alone dosen't make him a religious fanatic. It just confirms he's an idiot with a knack for making money off ancient Hebrew mythology.
What makes him a fanatic is that he and his ilk have been trying their best to turn this country into a theocracy.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 06:54:40 PM »
The only difference I see, is that the clerics are not calling for the death of only Bush, but of any Westerners. This guy isn't calling for the death of all Venezualians.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 07:06:19 PM »
FWIW, I'm not a big Robertson fan.  I am quite cool on televangelists.

What he said was of a secular nature regarding Chavez, who has let no opportunity pass to voice his hatred and opposition to the USA.  Chavez & his buddy Castro are doing their best to muck up both US policy & interests, but also the other countries in Latin America.  I would not regret reading of their demise.

As gov't policy, having him whacked has some negatives.  

If you read his words in context, Robertson essentially says that Chavez accuses the US of trying to whack him and that if we're going to get hte blame, we might as well do the deed.  It does make sense, though I think I'd prefer to hear it from a hard-boiled policy type like Zbignew "I'd like to buy a vowel" Brzynski*.

* No guarantee of spelling accuracy is given or implied in the case of slavic names with too few vowels.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Glock Glockler

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 03:48:23 AM »
What makes him a fanatic is that he and his ilk have been trying their best to turn this country into a theocracy

Yeah, wasting those communist dictators will take us right down the path of the Taliban.

matis

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 06:41:49 AM »
Quote:
"... It just confirms he's an idiot with a knack for making money off ancient Hebrew mythology."

Right Stevelyn.

As opposed to current mythology:

-multiculturalism
-diversity
-deconstructionism
-radical feminism
-"war/violence never solved anything"
-victimology
-gobal warming (used to be global freezing -- but -- come back in ten years)
-fairness
-mindless egalitarianism
-moral equivalence
-competiton is bad
-the rich exploit the poor
-rich nations cause poor nations' poverty
-government schooling
-guns and gun people are evil
-feelings trump free-speech
-(I can come up with more if I put my mind to it)

Much horror has been perpetrated in the name of religion.

Yet, somehow, modern, secular methods seem always to end in concentration camps and gulags.

I'll stick to ancient Hebrew mythology, thank you very much.

At least they knew what human nature is and had methods for refining and directing it.

If you're honest about it, you will admit that YOUR values come from this "ancient Hebrew mythology".  Western civilization rests upon it.

quote:
FWIW, I'm not a big Robertson fan.  I am quite cool on televangelists.

Me, too, Jfruser.  But I agree with Pat Robertson on this.
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2005, 01:16:08 PM »
matis, you are right on,

except that I have misgivings about the strategic desirability of Robertson's suggestion.

Ron

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2005, 05:02:47 PM »
All the outrage you guys are showing towards Robertson should be directed towards Chavez and those of his ilk.

You guys are pathetic,  just waiting for some has been "Christian" leader to make some inflammatory statement to "prove" your point.

I don't even get exercised over the anti-christian rhetoric anymore.  

The fruit of the seculurists speaks for itself.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2005, 05:33:33 PM »
The fruit of the seculurists speaks for itself.
As do the fruits of organized religion.
Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

-Denis Diderot
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2005, 05:46:19 PM »
Organized religion generally opposes fruits.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2005, 05:52:57 PM »
Yeppers.  Must have a strong liking for mutton stew, since organized religion tends to favor mindless vegetables and sheep.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Ron

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2005, 06:10:47 PM »
Yeppers.  Must have a strong liking for mutton stew, since organized religion tends to favor mindless vegetables and sheep.
Your hubris and condescension tell me all I need to know about your belief system. Smiley

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2005, 06:28:07 PM »
Your hubris and condescension tell me all I need to know about your belief system.
Which is one that does not advocate going out and killing people simply because they believe in the "Wrong" tribal god image.  Or the "wrong flavor" of the shared god image. Smiley

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2005, 02:25:08 AM »
Well well.  He's apologizing and waffling.  "Oh, I never said we should *kill* him.  'Take him out' could be a lot of things ..."

Hee.  What a maroon.  I've never liked that hypocritical twit or any of his cohorts.

Sindawe, bashing religion itself is about as useful as the whackos like Robertson blasting people for their beliefs or lack thereof.  There are good and decent people involved in organized religion helping people and doing good works.  They're just not the ones we see on television.

Not that I'm above baiting hypocrites.  I just about gave some of them apoplexy once when they were arguing about whether people of various faiths could go to heaven or if only specific Christians or just Christians AND Jews or what not could get in.  They were not doing this in a nice way - it was obvious they were justifying saying that only a specific subset of Christians could be "saved" and everyone else was doomed to Hellfire. rolleyes  They asked my opinion and I said "Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Aztecs or Hottentots, it all amounts to a bunch of people arguing about who has the coolest imaginary friend."   They suddenly had a new target for their ire.  Whether I believed what I just said to them wasn't the point.  The eye-bulging rage on their faces was worth it. Cheesy
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2005, 03:37:44 AM »
fundamentalist fistful says:  That is pretty funny, Bryan.  I wonder if they put you on their prayer list.  Just so you know, though, it's not who's God is coolest, it's who's God is real.

Sindawe and GoRon are both partly right and partly wrong.  Religion, fundamentalism, secularism; none of these things lead directly to the inquisition or the pogrom.  Sadly, human beings can turn the most beautiful and compassionate of philosophies into a reason for cruelty.

some has-been "Christian" leader
Pretty much.  He's not exactly on the cutting edge of the Christian sub-culture.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2005, 04:55:38 AM »
Quote from: Sindawe
What planet are you from again?  You must have missed the millions of people killed by those religious fanatics Adolph Hitler, Joe Stalin, Mao Tze Tung, Pol Pot, Fidel Catro, etc etc.  Secularism has killed more people than religion in a shorter time.