Author Topic: I absolutely loathe Windows Vista.  (Read 6633 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
I absolutely loathe Windows Vista.
« on: July 07, 2009, 01:19:46 AM »
I absolutely loathe Windows Vista.
That is all.

eta: I'm just blowing off steam.
I am working on a client's laptop, trying to fix an IE 8 problem.  Vista makes every task, even the ones most simple in XP, quadruply redundantly difficult.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 01:26:22 AM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: I absolutely loathe Windows Vista.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 01:26:16 AM »
As do I.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 01:26:24 AM »
I heard it doesn't like you, either.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 01:27:53 AM »
I heard it doesn't like you, either.

It's a personality clash, or so I've been told.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 01:27:55 AM »
Mandatory "use Linux" comment incoming in 5 4 3 2 1....
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 01:30:08 AM »
Mandatory "use Linux" comment incoming in 5 4 3 2 1....

Ah, hell, I didn't think of that.  Where's my Linux uber alles comment deflector...?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 01:42:02 AM »
Use linux.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 01:45:46 AM »
Well, that didn't take very darned long, did it?  =|

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 02:26:51 AM »
You know, I've still yet to use vista for anything.  Well, okay, I think I opened powerpoint on a vista machine once.   =D  Vista is my one lesson learned from the mistakes of others.
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 02:30:20 AM »
I've got Vista on my laptop.  Not as bad as I feared, but not that great, either.  The only reason I haven't replaced it with XP is that I only have one license that is already in use on this computer, and I'm too cheap to buy another one. 

One of these days I might put Ubuntu on it.  Maybe.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

taurusowner

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 02:33:40 AM »
I have Vista on one of my laptops, and honestly, it works great.  I don't know what the hubbub is about.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 02:37:27 AM »
I have a brand-new Gateway Core2Duo desktop machine with factory installed Vista.

The computer is surplus to me, and I've even entertained the idea of wiping the hard drive and installing XP Pro for whoever wants it. 

Iain

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 05:06:50 AM »
What's Vista doing that makes it more difficult?

I've used it, don't dislike it. In fact found one or two things useful enough to seek out their compiz equivalents. I've not tinkered with it though.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 08:04:10 AM »
I have been runing PCs since 1984 or so and Vista seems quite good at hiding the bits that I want to noodle.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 10:14:35 AM »
Pfft.  Lightweight sissy girly man.  I still run Windows ME and I'm proud of it!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 11:09:35 AM »
Am I the only person on the face of the planet who hasn't had any troubles with Vista? I've been using it for years, and I've had fewer problems than I've had with XP. I must not be doing something right...
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 11:12:40 AM »
Hmmm, Nightfall must be in league with the daemon OS. Get yer pitchforks and torches boys.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 11:17:09 AM »

I have a brand-new Gateway Core2Duo desktop machine with factory installed Vista.

The computer is surplus to me, and I've even entertained the idea of wiping the hard drive and installing XP Pro for whoever wants it. 

That's probably what I'm going to do with the 'puter my mother bought. Vista hogs up the memory and I have to keep cleaning things up to keep it running.

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

One of Many

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 11:22:21 AM »
I started using VISTA after my previous PC died. At first, there was a problem with hardware compatibility, because drivers were not available. That problem went away after a few months. The next biggest problem was software incompatibility. Some software companies decided they would not support VISTA, and made no attempt to correct malfunctions caused by the programs making use of unsupported "features" of the old XP system. The third issue was the heavy handed "protection" that MicroSoft decided to cram down the throat of the users. Far to many security related pop up boxes. Most of the security stuff could be bypassed with a bit of snooping and setting some parameters in the system.

VISTA does have some very good features that are user oriented, but the aggravation that most people have with the system counteracts the benefits. It has a steeper learning curve than most people are comfortable with. At first I hated it, but after a couple of years I would not want to go back to XP.

I will take a wait and see approach to the new operating system they are developing. It normally takes about a year after release to the public before MicroSoft gets the worst of the bugs out.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 12:22:59 PM »
Vista worked alright for me, but Windows 7 is what Vista should have been. I've been running 7 since the release candidate came out, and it's a vast improvement in speed and stability for me. The annoying UAC messages are much less frequent, and can be easily tuned to rarely or not come up at all if that's what one wishes.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 02:31:57 PM »
Marnoot, I'll definitely agree with you there.  Windows 7 (at least the beta version I'm using) is nowhere near the resource hog that Vista has become.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 02:59:01 PM »
I rather like it myself.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2009, 05:40:01 PM »
I don't know what the hubbub is about.

Having no experience with Vista, my theory is that it failed to offer the Windows Classic theme, which made a lot of geeks very cranky.  Windows 7 then, should prove to be just Vista with the Classic theme available. 

« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 08:03:15 PM by fistful »

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 07:50:44 PM »
Having no experience with Vista, my theory is that it failed to offer the Windows Classic theme, which made a lot of geeks very cranky.  Windows 7 then, should prove to be just Vista with the Classic theme available. 

Why don't the size tags work? 

Vista does have a "windows classic" theme. ;)
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 08:02:31 PM »
My beautiful theory in tatters!