Author Topic: I absolutely loathe Windows Vista.  (Read 6634 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: I absolutely loathe Windows Vista.
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2009, 09:44:11 PM »
Pfft.  Lightweight sissy girly man.  I still run Windows ME and I'm proud of it!

Brad

I declare Brad the winner of my thread.   =D

Oh, by the way, I'm not so lightweight anymore.  I had to take my belt out a notch the other day.   =|
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2009, 10:18:25 PM »
I'm still learning to live with XP.  W7 is next up IF forced upon me.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

crt360

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 05:44:15 PM »
Am I the only person on the face of the planet who hasn't had any troubles with Vista? I've been using it for years, and I've had fewer problems than I've had with XP. I must not be doing something right...

Nope.  Same here.

We have a mix of Vista and XP Pro.  We had a couple of older programs that took a little effort to get running under Vista, but on reasonably current hardware with enough memory, I prefer it.  I still use XP on some of my older home PCs, but don't plan on sticking with it when I replace them.

I've tried to use Linux a number of times over the past 10 years, but never been satisfied with it.  My brother and others I know say they like it, but spend hours a day tinkering with it.  If I had that much free time to make it work like I wanted, I'd be doing something else.  Linux still seems like more of a hobby than an OS.
For entertainment purposes only.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 06:04:06 PM »
The problem is that too many Vista systems were shipped without the appropriate hardware support (driver and capability).  Now that you can get a Vista system appropriate for the OS, fewer complaints are being levied.  The damage was done, however.

Chris

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 08:02:38 PM »
I have heard good and bad about Vista. I use XP and Microsoft was really pushing the Vista as an upgrade. It would have barely worked on my computer memory wise. Many folks have had problems upgrading their XP to Vista as their machine running XP was inadequate.

I will wait at least a year before I get Windows 7 on a new computer. They can work the bugs out before I buy it.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 09:30:56 PM »
Ahhhh, Windows Vista... the Windows ME of the NT line....

Having quite a bit with Vista, I've found that the hardware support frankly sucks for anything more than a few years old, the software support reeks as well (No 16-bit VM support, so if you used any really old programs, you have virtually no options.

But that's not the problem most folks have with it.  The interface and how everything seems to work has changed drastically from XP/2000/etc, unless you set it to classic.

Search frankly sucks.

Microsoft's Virtual PC VM software (while free) is craptastic compared to VMWare, but if you use old apps or games, it's pretty much the only game in town.
(VMWare still isn't nearly as fast as it should be, but it allows old Windows apps to be run unlike DOSBox,)

And those gahdamn security popups "You're about to run xxx.exe.. Allow / Deny?"

Sure, you can turn most of that stuff off, but I've always been a firm believer in OSes that do their job and stay the hell out of the way of their users, not constantly bombard them with useless crap warnings (which in theory should help keep your machine more secure, but in practice don't seem to work that well,)

And like ME, I expect Vista will quietly fade away while Windows 7 becomes the OS Vista really should have been.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 09:32:03 PM »
Vista is a hardware hog, and that's probably the main reason why folks upgrading from XP to Vista have a bad experience.

You can mitigate the problem somewhat by turning off Vista's bells and whistles, and Microsoft addressed the issue by streamlining the Windows 7 code for better efficiency.  

I like Windows 7, but feel no need to migrate until XP is no longer viable.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 10:28:21 PM »
And those gahdamn security popups "You're about to run xxx.exe.. Allow / Deny?"

Sure, you can turn most of that stuff off, but I've always been a firm believer in OSes that do their job and stay the hell out of the way of their users, not constantly bombard them with useless crap warnings (which in theory should help keep your machine more secure, but in practice don't seem to work that well,)

Yeah, because Unix doesn't deny access or force you to use "sudo" when you try to access an application as a regular user. 

People complained because Windows wasn't secure enough.  Now that they're trying to make it secure, people complain because it's too secure. 

Chris

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2009, 10:40:10 PM »
Ahhhh, Windows Vista... the Windows ME of the NT line....

{snip}

And like ME, I expect Vista will quietly fade away while Windows 7 becomes the OS Vista really should have been.

Phyphor, I agree with you on both of the above statements, 100%.  I believe Microsoft was needing more money and the OS wasn't there yet so they released it as Vista and then finished it as Win 7.  I have heard Vista called Microsoft's Edsel.  Remember an even version number of an MS product is not as good as an odd version number.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2009, 11:07:10 PM »
Then what about XP?   =)  2000 was OK, wasn't it?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2009, 10:39:24 AM »
Then what about XP?   =)  2000 was OK, wasn't it?

Fistful,

Win XP is good as was W2K and if you look at the the version numbering derived from the upcoming release Windows 7.  Vista would be version 6 and XP would be version 5.1 and Windows 200 is version 5.

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2009, 12:24:25 PM »
True.

There is a lot more in common between Win2K and XP than XP and Vista. 

Often times, if I cannot find a given device or hardware driver in XP, the Win2K version works just fine.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"