Author Topic: Read It and Weep: Gov't School Funding vs Results  (Read 8029 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Read It and Weep: Gov't School Funding vs Results
« on: May 09, 2013, 02:01:55 PM »

3X the cost per student (adjusted for inflation), with no improvement. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Read It and Weep: Gov't School Funding vs Results
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 06:09:45 PM »
How much of that is inflation  ???

My personal observation is that prices have gone up ~10x in the last 40 years.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 06:19:52 PM »
Chart sez adjusted for inflation.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 06:24:41 PM »
The .gov response is to throw more money at the problem.   However, history has proven time and time again that that "solution" fails everytime it is tried, in every circumstance.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 06:45:36 PM »
Chart sez adjusted for inflation.

Fine print  :facepalm:

So in 1970 they only spent $5-6K per student  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 09:01:56 PM »
Fine print  :facepalm:

So in 1970 they only spent $5-6K per student  ???

No, $56000 over 12 years, in 2010 dollars.  Or about $4667/year/student in 1970.  A little over $13000/year/student in 2010.

But look at the huge increase in math, reading, and science scores!

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 10:33:27 PM »
No, $56000 over 12 years, in 2010 dollars.  Or about $4667/year/student in 1970.  A little over $13000/year/student in 2010.

But look at the huge increase in math, reading, and science scores!

So what are the numbers based on 1970 dollars or 2010 dollars  ???

Are we spending $1.6 million now, or $5,600 back then ....?

All I know is that a 1970 dollar is only worth about a dime today.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 10:36:49 PM »
A couple of years ago I got into an argument with DeSelby about the cost of education, and found stats on a site for teachers in the midwest. It broke down the cost in each state in a variety of ways: class size; cost per pupil; cost per teacher, etc. Wisconsin led the pack in costs, but lagged the other states in results.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 11:07:02 PM »
So what are the numbers based on 1970 dollars or 2010 dollars  ???

Are we spending $1.6 million now, or $5,600 back then ....?

All I know is that a 1970 dollar is only worth about a dime today.

Looks like 2010 dollars.  And you have the1970 vs 2010 dollar thing backwards, given inflation since 1970.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Read It and Weep: Gov't School Funding vs Results
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 08:21:59 AM »
heres a peak at some of the forces at play
http://news.fredericksburg.com/newsdesk/2013/05/10/budget-options-discussed-for-stafford-schools/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 08:29:17 AM »
A couple of years ago I got into an argument with DeSelby about the cost of education, and found stats on a site for teachers in the midwest. It broke down the cost in each state in a variety of ways: class size; cost per pupil; cost per teacher, etc. Wisconsin led the pack in costs, but lagged the other states in results.

Well at least in WI, the money paid for a big propaganda machine to tell us otherwise.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 10:56:47 AM »
I wonder how much this set of statistics is really worth.  Reason I'm asking is that the technology used in teaching today is a lot different than it was in the 1970's, when I was in school.  back then, we watched film strips and movies, used actual text books, and used chalk boards.  Some teachers would use an overhead projector and "slides."  My sons now have no text books.  Everything is done electronically, or with photocopies.  The classrooms have smartboards, wireless printers, computer projectors, and other tech that ain't coming in for free.  the "base" level is costing a ton more now than it used to.

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 11:14:49 AM »

I don't believe it.  Illinois isn't Midwest Number One for this?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 11:16:18 AM »
Don't forget y'all.  Since 1970 we've had a whole new technology arise, to throw education money at.  Personal Computers, notworking and associated stuff.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 11:36:14 AM »
I wonder how much this set of statistics is really worth.  Reason I'm asking is that the technology used in teaching today is a lot different than it was in the 1970's, when I was in school.  back then, we watched film strips and movies, used actual text books, and used chalk boards.  Some teachers would use an overhead projector and "slides."  My sons now have no text books.  Everything is done electronically, or with photocopies.  The classrooms have smartboards, wireless printers, computer projectors, and other tech that ain't coming in for free.  the "base" level is costing a ton more now than it used to.

If it's not working, why do they need all that then?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

• friends
Re: Re: Read It and Weep: Gov't School Funding vs Results
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 11:38:42 AM »
and we feed and provide before and afterschool care.alomg with a host of mandated special services

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 11:39:40 AM »
I wonder how much this set of statistics is really worth.  Reason I'm asking is that the technology used in teaching today is a lot different than it was in the 1970's, when I was in school.  back then, we watched film strips and movies, used actual text books, and used chalk boards.  Some teachers would use an overhead projector and "slides."  My sons now have no text books.  Everything is done electronically, or with photocopies.  The classrooms have smartboards, wireless printers, computer projectors, and other tech that ain't coming in for free.  the "base" level is costing a ton more now than it used to.

Look at the second line in the graph: "Employees". All that "Technology" you are talking about is capital equipment that allows fewer workers to accomplish the same amount of work.

Yet, there are far more people on staff PLUS the new technology.

In other words: it ain't the technology driving the costs.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Read It and Weep: Gov't School Funding vs Results
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 11:41:14 AM »
If it's not working, why do they need all that then?
it works some places quite well. much to my surprise

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 11:42:26 AM »
and we feed and provide before and afterschool care.alomg with a host of mandated special services

This is one question I have: how much of the increased cost per student is due to special education requirements?

My sense is they do add a to the cost, but I doubt they are responsible for a significant portion of the cost.

My guess is administrators, counselors, and the like. (Gee, I thought having larger districts was supposed to cut administrative bloat. Yet somehow there are more administrators per student at the large districts than the small ones...)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 11:43:11 AM »
it works some places quite well. much to my surprise

But could it work as well for less? My guess is yes.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 12:22:17 PM »
This is one question I have: how much of the increased cost per student is due to special education requirements?

My sense is they do add a to the cost, but I doubt they are responsible for a significant portion of the cost.

My guess is administrators, counselors, and the like. (Gee, I thought having larger districts was supposed to cut administrative bloat. Yet somehow there are more administrators per student at the large districts than the small ones...)

I do know that locally they hire one adult (not a teacher) to aid each of certain special ed kids. 

They can't put them in their own special class now with 1 teacher and 1 aide, so each special kid has to have his or her own aide.  :facepalm:

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 12:29:43 PM »
I do know that locally they hire one adult (not a teacher) to aid each of certain special ed kids. 

They can't put them in their own special class now with 1 teacher and 1 aide, so each special kid has to have his or her own aide.  :facepalm:

LAdy I know used to teach special ed kids, who actually did have significant issues. I think the limit there was 2 kids per teacher, but that was based on the legitimate "When the kids get violent the teacher needs to be able to physically be able to control them." But the number of actually retarded/Down's/etc kids is low enough that I doubt the extra effort much affects budgets.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 12:53:06 PM »
LAdy I know used to teach special ed kids, who actually did have significant issues. I think the limit there was 2 kids per teacher, but that was based on the legitimate "When the kids get violent the teacher needs to be able to physically be able to control them." But the number of actually retarded/Down's/etc kids is low enough that I doubt the extra effort much affects budgets.

I think that there are or were 2 or 3 in our little district which has <50 students K-12. 

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 01:14:02 PM »

Meh, most places don;t have all that and those that do don;t need it.  My kids' private school has one teacher and one common access PC per room.  They are entry-level business class PCs, no more than several hundred dollars/ea.  Get replaced every 5 years, for a capital cost of roughly $100/year.

The computer lab has 20 such critters.

Look at the second line in the graph: "Employees". All that "Technology" you are talking about is capital equipment that allows fewer workers to accomplish the same amount of work.

Yet, there are far more people on staff PLUS the new technology.

In other words: it ain't the technology driving the costs.

A jobs program.  Every left program is a "jobs" program in that it gives jobs to political allies.

FTR, the U Cali system has more administrators than professors.  I reckon large school districts are similar.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 02:31:26 PM »
here is a pretty good explanation of a school district budget

http://www.lsc.state.oh.us/fiscal/ohiofacts/jan2001/ohiosk-12schools.pdf