Author Topic: British and French Subs Collide in Atlantic  (Read 6031 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: British and French Subs Collide in Atlantic
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2009, 05:57:21 PM »
That makes sense, because we use the same wingtip light color scheme on USAF planes, too.   =D

I'll be darned if I know why somebody would want to pee in a head, though.   =|
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2009, 08:50:57 PM »
Oh, we only surrender to ennemies of the USA, afterwards you'll have to bail us out and
we won't be thankfull !  :lol:

That's an over-generalization. When I visited France in 1994 for the anniversary of the D-Day invasion, your countrymen in Normandy were very friendly, and even pretended to understand my thoroughly atrocious, dimly-recalled high school French.

The Parisians, on the other hand, were their usual, totally obnoxious selves. (Which, of course, is probably exactly what they were saying about us Americans.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Lee

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2009, 09:09:03 PM »
Damn chunnel!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2009, 10:05:03 PM »
USS Sandlance - SSN-660 was a sturgeon class boat. It's razor blades now.

I liked La Maddelana. Easy access to Sardinia's emerald coast. An airport about 30 miles south and we could fly to just about anywhere in Italy for $30 or so. Very provincial, good food, cheap lodging, nice beaches and friendly people. And Palau, the town on Sardinia right across from LaMaddelana was a pretty decent place to hang out too considering it's small size.

Fond memories for me. If I were a rich man I'd give serious thought to having a summer home there.

USS Flying Fish SSN-673, I think the Sturgeon calss was the best of the Fast Attack boats, I also did a tour on the USS Haddo, SSN-604. When they cut up the Flying Fish they used the sail and planes for some kind of "Peace Monument" around Seatle somewhere :rolleyes:
We didn't spend much time in port at La Mad and we were there in the winter. I did like Palau, I had enough seniority that when my section had the duty I got to pull SP and got to spend it watching my shipmates get "plowed in Palau". The base always seemed to be on water rationing, couldn't do laundry underway 'casue the 8K was always down and couldn't do laundry in port becasue the water barge was late. The exchange was always out of basics (toothpaste, deodorant) and essentials(tobacco) and the beer at the club wasn't ever really cold.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2009, 10:06:36 PM »
Damn, that sounds a lot like Midway, Kwajalein, and Diego Garcia!

Water rationing on Okinawa sucked, too.  =(

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2009, 12:49:12 PM »
got dry on wake island too  flying water in is a trip
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2009, 01:15:30 PM »
so why don't the subs have rear view mirrors?
 ;/
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2009, 01:25:29 PM »
Psshh, bumper cams are all the rage now, didn't you hear?
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2009, 03:24:36 PM »
On a Polish sub someone could have just opened the screen door to have a look around.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2009, 03:27:44 PM »
At least a Canadian sub was not involved. It would have pre-emptively sunk before arriving.

Or the government would have ordered it scrapped before launching if there was a change of parties!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2009, 04:48:18 PM »
one does wonder if a sub can drop a delayed ping crybaby
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2009, 10:25:08 PM »
so why don't the subs have rear view mirrors?
 ;/

Closest thing to that is a towed array SONAR. we lost one once in the SOJ. It wasn't pretty.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2009, 10:34:12 PM »
Closest thing to that is a towed array SONAR. we lost one once in the SOJ. It wasn't pretty.

You could have used sonar to find it.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2009, 10:53:23 PM »
And promptly revealed their position in the process of pinging around for the lost cable w/hydrophones. 

Towed array sonars are passive, for a good reason.