Author Topic: Crash for Clunkers  (Read 6909 times)

Myself

• friend
Crash for Clunkers
« on: August 04, 2009, 11:33:10 AM »
I was thinking back a few hundred years ago when I purchased my first car.  It was a 1952 Chevy Deluxe that I paid 95 dollars for and needed 3 installment payments to swing.

A few weeks after my purchase I was horrified to learn that I needed auto insurance to own a car, (no one in the family had ever had a car before).  I went to my local broker and learned it would cost me $350 for insurance on a $ 95.00 car.

So what happens to all the people who just traded their clunkers in on new cars?  Did they get quotes on what the insurance difference would be?  Did we just create another time bomb for the economically challenged?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Crash for Clunkers
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 11:36:10 AM »
I was thinking back a few hundred years ago when I purchased my first car.  It was a 1952 Chevy Deluxe that I paid 95 dollars for and needed 3 installment payments to swing.

A few weeks after my purchase I was horrified to learn that I needed auto insurance to own a car, (no one in the family had ever had a car before).  I went to my local broker and learned it would cost me $350 for insurance on a $ 95.00 car.

So what happens to all the people who just traded their clunkers in on new cars?  Did they get quotes on what the insurance difference would be?  Did we just create another time bomb for the economically challenged?

These people are purchasing NEW cars. Although $4500 helps a lot towards a new car, it is extremely unlikely someone who is that economically challenged can purchase a new car even with the rebate. I doubt that is the time bomb we created.

We did, however, remove a number of perfectly good used cars from the market. As such, we will be raising the price of all used cars, especially those whose value was less than $4500.

Yep, just another way for the government to hurt the poor by claiming to help them.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 11:36:50 AM »
Auto insurance is a human right.  We will create a government-mandated insurance system where everybody HAS to have insurance:  If they don't then we will financially penalize them.

Drivers that have more money drive newer cars, so we will subsidize the poor among us by driving up the rates on new cars.

Oh... wait. =D  We just screwed that one up with the cash for clunkers deal.

Hmm.  

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Myself

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 11:56:15 AM »
These people are purchasing NEW cars. Although $4500 helps a lot towards a new car, it is extremely unlikely someone who is that economically challenged can purchase a new car even with the rebate. I doubt that is the time bomb we created.

Auto dealers can structure auto payment plans over many years to suck up all possible cash from those who can only marginally afford it.  I just wander what the added impact of vastly higher insurance premiums will be on top of that.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 12:03:54 PM »
Here is what happens to the trade ins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0IcIxhd8ks

=|

Seems so needlessly destructive.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 12:50:43 PM »

It depends on how you define "destructive".  I would guess their definition is vastly different from ours.

Rudy Kohn

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 01:05:05 PM »
I... can't watch that video.  Not because the link doesn't work, but because I feel immense dread watching them pour that stuff into a perfectly good engine.   :mad:

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 01:15:05 PM »

We did, however, remove a number of perfectly good used cars from the market. As such, we will be raising the price of all used cars, especially those whose value was less than $4500.

Yep, just another way for the government to hurt the poor by claiming to help them.

Here's a kicker for ya.  Neighbor in our complex is on section 8, food stamps, disability, and Oregon Health Plan (State run healthcare).  They just went out, traded in significant other's perfectly functional older SUV type vehicle (don't exactly remember what it was) under the cash for clunkers program for a brand spanking new Pontiac.  But then, to make matters worse.......   They traded the brand spanking new Pontiac in on a slightly used Ford F-150 pickup that, since it's not a new vehicle, doesn't qualifiy for the rebate on the cash for clunkers.....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 01:17:09 PM »
Here's a kicker for ya.  Neighbor in our complex is on section 8, food stamps, disability, and Oregon Health Plan (State run healthcare).  They just went out, traded in significant other's perfectly functional older SUV type vehicle (don't exactly remember what it was) under the cash for clunkers program for a brand spanking new Pontiac.  But then, to make matters worse.......   They traded the brand spanking new Pontiac in on a slightly used Ford F-150 pickup that would likely NOT have qualified for the rebate on the cash for clunkers.....

/clap

BRAVO. Way to work the system. (Judging by your description, they are quite adept at that already).

Unintended consequences are often amusing.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 01:29:37 PM »
I recently looked at replacing a 12 year old Subaru with a new one, or a 3 year old one.

The change in my insurance wouldn't have been all that much.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 01:35:42 PM »
I recently looked at replacing a 12 year old Subaru with a new one, or a 3 year old one.

The change in my insurance wouldn't have been all that much.

I did the same with my 98 GMC Jimmy with a newer vehicle (F-150, Suburban and Outback) the price difference was negligible.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 01:44:09 PM »
Here is what happens to the trade ins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0IcIxhd8ks

=|

You've just defined leftism in general.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Reifen

Satire: Cash for Clunkers - Obamacare Edition
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 02:37:11 PM »
Sorry, wasn't sure if this belonged here or in the Politics section as it's satire and not an actual news story.  If I posted in the wrong place please feel free to move it.

Anyway...thought it was funny.

"In the cold-hearted, uncaring capitalist society of the past, where every man was for himself, people often reached advanced age without any government help. It is a shame that in the richest country in the world, old people were abandoned by society and survived on their own, sometimes until they were 117 years old. No one knew or cared about how long they lived because everyone paid their own medical bills. But those dog-eat-dog days are over. In the caring, collectivist America, no one will be allowed to live without government care. And since we are paying for you, we decide how long you can be a drain on the collective wallet.

The full entry

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
Re: Satire: Cash for Clunkers - Obamacare Edition
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 06:02:30 PM »
Looks like a prequel to Logan's run.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend