Author Topic: Post-Apocalyptica  (Read 8141 times)

mgdavis

• friend
Post-Apocalyptica
« on: December 05, 2010, 03:51:26 PM »
Reading "Bury my heart at Kent State" right now and really enjoying it. I feel like it has been way too long since I read any new novels of the genre, and I'm going to have to knock back a few of them to satisfy my sweet tooth.

What are your favorites? Bonus points if I can get 'em for my Nook.

I might get kicked off with MHI: Vendetta, which is undoubtedly going to be worth buying a paper copy of. It's not quite the same genre, but the first one was a really fun read for me.

mgdavis

• friend
Re: Post-Apocalyptica
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 05:07:52 PM »
Is "On the Beach" good?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 05:42:07 PM »
It's an old one, but Thor's Lucifer's Hammer.  Very neat read.

For some reason, its stuck in my head as Thor's hammer.   :facepalm:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 07:47:22 PM by JamisJockey »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
A Canticle for Leibowitz

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 06:20:18 PM »
What genre?  Post-apocalyptic?

Earth Abides, by George R. Stewart.  Yes, there's a kindle version.  There's a few nits that could be picked, but it holds up pretty well after 60 years.

All the bad stuff happens offstage in the first chapter.  Then what?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 06:22:24 PM »
Yes, post-apocalyptic.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 06:23:33 PM »
"Alas, Babylon" was pretty good.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 06:41:18 PM »
Lucifer's Hammer
The Stand
Earth Abides
The Road

Chris

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 07:18:51 PM »

Sure was. I actually have a copy that I perma-borrowed from my Dad several years back.

I've read Lucifer's Hammer and The Road, taking note of the rest of the titles. Thanks guys.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 07:25:05 PM »
Another one that I really enjoyed was "Lights Out", by Half-fast. An amateur effort, to be sure, but still an enjoyable and thought-provoking book.

I have also read "Patriots", which was less of a novel and more of a manual. Definitely interesting.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 07:50:41 PM »
Lucifer's Hammer
The Stand
Earth Abides
The Road

Chris

The Stand is very good.  Very much written as a good v. evil deal, though.  However, one thing of note is how some of the players are totally off their rockers.  Not like how in alot of other books/movies, everyone is buff and kicks ass all the time. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 08:45:53 PM »
Lucifer's Hammer is teh awesome.
The Road is good, but full of stupid at times, too.  At least to the prepper-oriented community.
I've read Lights Out by Halffast.  That was pretty good.  A bit gear-queer (which most amateur efforts tend to do).
The Stand isn't that great, IMO.  It's a fantastic book... but not from a study of the Apocalyptica genre.
Patriots (by Rawles) is very gear-queer, also.  Idyllic.  Over the top, IMO.
I really liked the Enemies Foreign and Domestic, Domestic Enemies: The Reconquista and Foreign Enemies series by Matthew Bracken.  I feel bad for Ranya and I'm glad she only had to make it through 2 out of the 3 books!
I also really like Unintended Consequences as a candidate for this genre.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 08:46:04 PM »
I have also read "Patriots", which was less of a novel and more of a manual. Definitely interesting.

If you're into that, dig up Dean Ing's Pulling Through.  He novelized Cresson Kearny's expedient nuke shelter stuff.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 10:53:42 PM »
Is "On the Beach" good?

No.  :P

I get that it's fiction, but the whole premise of worldwide fallout killing everyone is so flawed it just makes it impossible for me to get past it.

Should have made it an asteroid or something else.
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 02:16:12 AM »
No.  :P

I get that it's fiction, but the whole premise of worldwide fallout killing everyone is so flawed it just makes it impossible for me to get past it.

Should have made it an asteroid or something else.

It's not even the specifics, it's the entire vibe of LET US ALL DIE SLOWLY that fails.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 05:24:27 AM »
The Postman. The book, not the movie. But, I did like the movie. That doesn't say much 'cause I like Waterworld also.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 06:38:52 AM »
"Dies the Fire"- S.M.Stirling.   The premise is an "event" happens which shuts off our ability to use electricity and chemical energy-  good read , he has written a bunch of excellent sci fi.  There are some sequels which follow the event some years in the future.

BMacklem

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 09:58:59 AM »
If you really want to see what it would be like for a shtf scenario.... try
ONE SECOND AFTER   by WILLIAM R. FORSTCHEN.
Basic premise is that a couple (only a couple) of nukes go off high in the atmosphere above the US, and the resulting EMP wave knocks out most everything.
This was done as a "what if" excersize, and he really did some research into the possible outcomes of how it could happen, and what would be the likely results.
I listened to it (unabridged audiobook) and I was chilled to the bone thinking about it for a few weeks after.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 10:06:49 AM »

That was a required read as a sophomore in High School, interestingly the Berlin Wall fell about six months after I finished reading the book.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 10:18:22 AM »
The Postman. The book, not the movie. But, I did like the movie. That doesn't say much 'cause I like Waterworld also.
I have to say that the Postman was a pretty good read.  It had some crazy stuff, but some of it made more sense than the movie.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 10:18:40 AM »
I read a series in the 80's. It was called The Guardians by Richard Austin.

It wasn't great but it gave me something to do in the winter.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 03:41:13 PM »
The Postman. The book, not the movie.

Make sure you get the original book (David Brinman, or something like that) and not the book based on the screen play.  Somebody else mentioned Earth Abides.  I started out liking the book but by the end was annoyed by the main character.  He seemed content to sit and do nothing.  I'd like to sit and do nothing all day but it seems that the main character of a book ought to have a little more amibition that I do! =D  Not to mention that I would drink up most of the gin in my neighborhood pretty darn quick!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2010, 04:06:04 PM »

Make sure you get the original book (David Brinman, or something like that) and not the book based on the screen play.  Somebody else mentioned Earth Abides.  I started out liking the book but by the end was annoyed by the main character.  He seemed content to sit and do nothing.  I'd like to sit and do nothing all day but it seems that the main character of a book ought to have a little more amibition that I do! =D  Not to mention that I would drink up most of the gin in my neighborhood pretty darn quick!

You mean this one? http://www.amazon.com/Postman-Bantam-Classics-David-Brin/dp/0553278746/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1291669241&sr=1-1
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2010, 04:28:48 PM »
That was a required read as a sophomore in High School, interestingly the Berlin Wall fell about six months after I finished reading the book.

I also read it High School (but, it wasn't required), and 6 years later when I was stationed over there was when The Wall came down.   :cool:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Heinlein's Farnham's Freehold ...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.