Author Topic: Post-Apocalyptica  (Read 8143 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Post-Apocalyptica
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2010, 06:05:44 PM »
You can buy a great collection of leatherbound PA books buy a company called Easton Press here http://www.eastonpressbooks.com/leather/product.asp?code=2194 Collection includes Earth Abides, I Am Legend, On The Beach, Alas Babylon, and Lucifer's Hammer. A little pricey but I believe they are worth it, I have that and I'm subscribed to a few of there other series.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2010, 07:04:50 PM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Heinlein's Farnham's Freehold ...

I just assumed that it was required reading to me a member here. :lol:

I got through the first four books of the Dies the Fire series. I need to finish them up, now that the last two have been published.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2010, 07:45:17 PM »
You can buy a great collection of leatherbound PA books buy a company called Easton Press here http://www.eastonpressbooks.com/leather/product.asp?code=2194 Collection includes Earth Abides, I Am Legend, On The Beach, Alas Babylon, and Lucifer's Hammer. A little pricey but I believe they are worth it, I have that and I'm subscribed to a few of there other series.

They're smoking crack at those prices. :o

Chris

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2010, 11:04:03 PM »
I also read it High School (but, it wasn't required), and 6 years later when I was stationed over there was when The Wall came down.   :cool:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Heinlein's Farnham's Freehold ...

A good story, but I don't know if it's really an apocalyptic story in the traditional sense.

I saw the use of WWIII and the subsequent time travel to the far future by being ground zero of an H-bomb blast as more of a McGuffin to make a scenario for his role-reversal slavery story because of Henlien's detest for the institution. (presumably how he decided to do it for a 1964 reader...) His anti-slavery opinions are a theme in some of his other stories as well.
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 10:14:47 AM »
They're smoking crack at those prices. :o

Chris

Crack spiked with PCP.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2010, 11:45:50 AM »
Crack spiked with PCP.

Oh, but they're Leather Bound!

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2010, 01:00:52 PM »
Oh, but they're Leather Bound!

At those prices, they could be bound in unicorn leather and it'd still be highway robbery. 

5x$75.  I keep trying to do the math and my brain locks up.  At first, I saw $75, and think "Five books for $75?  Not unreasonable, but expensive but cheap leather does take a bit to work with.  Wait, WHAT?"
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2010, 01:22:51 PM »
That set is actually the most expensive ones I've seen. Most are around $50. All are leather bound, 22kt designs and gilded edges, acid neutral paper, and a lot have moire-fabric end-sheets. Also come with a front piece picture, and often a lot of inside pictures. Very nice, high quality stuff.  =D For those interested in learning more, there is a book group website and a specific group for easton press book lovers here http://www.librarything.com/groups/eastonpresscollecto
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2010, 01:46:10 PM »
At those prices, they could be bound in unicorn leather and it'd still be highway robbery. 

5x$75.  I keep trying to do the math and my brain locks up.  At first, I saw $75, and think "Five books for $75?  Not unreasonable, but expensive but cheap leather does take a bit to work with.  Wait, WHAT?"

I did the same dang thing. 

FTR, I am not against nice hardbound books.  I just find that a dog-eared paperback reads about the same and is easier to take places.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2010, 02:14:47 PM »
That set is actually the most expensive ones I've seen. Most are around $50. All are leather bound, 22kt designs and gilded edges, acid neutral paper, and a lot have moire-fabric end-sheets. Also come with a front piece picture, and often a lot of inside pictures. Very nice, high quality stuff.  =D For those interested in learning more, there is a book group website and a specific group for easton press book lovers here http://www.librarything.com/groups/eastonpresscollecto

Sewn binding or glued?

Real leather or "bonded leather" (an artificial glue and leather fiber product)?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2010, 05:40:27 PM »
Sewn binding or glued?

Real leather or "bonded leather" (an artificial glue and leather fiber product)?

Sewn and real.

I can't believe the Walking Dead hasn't been mentioned, GREAT series.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2010, 06:00:19 PM »

Have you priced college textbooks lately?

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2010, 07:03:20 PM »

It was highway robbery and extortion most foul, in my day. 

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2010, 08:20:37 PM »

That's different.  That's honest, simple collusion and corruption. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.