Author Topic: Have a Green Fourth!  (Read 7183 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Have a Green Fourth!
« on: July 01, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
I'm wanting to come up with whatever the opposite is of what this jackass wants me to do. I have the day off today and already grilled up bacon this morning for me and the dog, and steaks for lunch. I have three more days of food related global warming activities to come up with. Red meat is on the menu at least once every day though :)

Also, forsake the potato salad? He'd better not say that around my 83 year old German mom. She'll end him.

On a more serious note, can these guys please leave me alone about the whole "barbecuing is bad for the environment" thing at least on the holidays? They just don't know when to quit with the nagging. Debbie Downers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/30/opinion/30palmer.html?_r=4
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Have a Green Fourth!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 06:48:26 PM »
I was prompted to log in to read the article. I'm not a member of the NY Times site.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 07:03:39 PM »
Weird. I'm not registered either, but I went right to it. I got there via Michelle Malkin's site. I'll post that link and see if it lets you in thataway without registering.

http://michellemalkin.com/2011/07/01/4th-of-july/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 07:42:13 PM »
But pre-historic man cooked with fire.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 07:58:03 PM »
The author and the NYT can KMA. I'm burning piles of wooden pallets. Grilling dead animals and burning lostsa gounpowder and low explosives.

They can feel free to come up and do something about it.  
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 08:00:45 PM »
FOOD is responsible for 10 to 30 percent of global greenhouse gas emissions.

Oh, for crying out loud. What would this idiot have us do? Starve to save the planet?

I don't like grilling, but I'll do some this weekend just to tick off an environmentalist.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 08:01:44 PM »
One of my favorite reader comments regarding the author's assault on red meat was, "Don't blame me -- I'm eating the cows as fast as I can!"   :lol:

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 08:18:14 PM »
Just sat down to my grilled cow. This story goes with it almost perfect.

I'll keep doing my part.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 08:46:55 PM »
 :laugh: and now i know why my new barber laughed when i said "you need to grill something, and blow something up" when he said he wasn't doing anything that day. =)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 09:30:15 PM »
I think I might fire off some "green" rifle rounds to celebrate the Fourth  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 10:24:50 PM »
Charcoal briquettes, however, are a different story. The compressed round briquettes are made from scrap wood that would otherwise go to waste. The better manufacturers build their plants near construction centers and use recycled heat from those centers to power their briquette kilns.

Can anyone tell me what "construction centers" he's talking about, and how they recycle heat?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 11:33:50 PM »
Can anyone tell me what "construction centers" he's talking about, and how they recycle heat?

My trash goes in the black bin, my plastic/metal/paper goes in the blue bin, and my used-up-heat goes in the red bin.

They my used heat to the heat recycling gnomes, and they use it in construction centers.

Why aren't you recycling your heat, Fistful?  Why do you hate Erf?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 12:42:03 AM »
At least I don't sort my segregate my refuse, you trash-racist.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 10:11:05 AM »

http://www.edf.org/article.cfm?contentID=6870

They co-locate plants and use the captured heat that powers one plant to produce whatever they need it to at the secondary plant.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 10:35:38 AM »
at lake norman they've put in a what looks like a big heat exchanger. [tinfoil] think they are adding/have added a new turbine/s across the lake/inlet. odd, can't find a current pic. and it's not showing up on google maps. i'm done looking for that. [tinfoil]

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 10:40:50 AM »
http://www.edf.org/article.cfm?contentID=6870
They co-locate plants and use the captured heat that powers one plant to produce whatever they need it to at the secondary plant.

Cool, thanks.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 05:07:38 PM »
I don't eat grilled cow meat.  Ick.  I eat charred, segmented musculature of bovine.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 05:16:49 PM »
Oh, for crying out loud. What would this idiot have us do? Starve to save the planet?
That would suit many of the radical enviroweenies.  Seriously.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 05:28:23 PM »
I don't eat grilled cow meat.  Ick.  I eat charred, segmented musculature of bovine.
230RN, you're getting PC about grilling, that is sad.   :P

That would suit many of the radical enviroweenies.  Seriously.

I say let them prove their point first.  If they do that and succeed, then I might (not in a *expletive deleted*ing million years) consider following their example.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2011, 07:28:08 PM »
That would suit many of the radical enviroweenies.  Seriously.

Tell them to lead by example.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

birdman

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2011, 08:03:23 PM »
My anti-green 4th weekend:
Day 1: ride 200hp motorcycle at supralegal speeds to go grilling (propane, not my house), cow, pork, and chicken with engineers, scientists, navy loadmaster, and green beret's, current and past.
Day 2: relax with GF in 66deg a/c, load some ammo, clean weapons, and see transformers
Day 3: observe fireworks from balcony at work, less than 100m from the USMC war memorial.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2011, 08:33:38 PM »
That does it.  I am going to smoke a large fatty brisket Monday.  It will take about 10 hours of burning charcoal and mesquite wood....chris3

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2011, 09:58:57 PM »
No Green 4th for me, I only have red tracers to launch out over the 'hood. The commies can pretend it's their kind of red if they like.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2011, 10:15:08 PM »
wish i could say the 6 hour drive, round trip on the 5th was because of this. but that's for something more important. [popcorn] so i'll just have to make the trip in 3rd gear. :laugh:

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2011, 10:26:22 PM »
I was planning to burn a tire Monday, but maybe I should splurge and throw on an old truck battery too.  >:D
"It's good, though..."