Author Topic: Powers out in india  (Read 5889 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Powers out in india
« on: July 30, 2012, 02:59:31 PM »
More people lost power in India then the entire population of the US.
Makes you think.
There distribution system has looses over 50%, average in the US is 7%.
And 30% of the country does not have electricity normally.
I wonder if the residents of the US would be quite as calm if the country went dark?

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/07/30/370-million-swelter-in-darkness-after-power-fails-in-india/?test=latestnews
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

HankB

• friend
Re: Powers out in india
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 03:17:16 PM »
With their DIY wiring practices, why in the world would India have more electrical problems than we do?

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 03:18:54 PM »

I wonder if the residents of the US would be quite as calm if the country went dark?

Quite likely yes.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 03:22:23 PM »
Quite likely yes.

history indicates not
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 03:37:02 PM »
history indicates not

Have you never heard of the many cases of people self-organizing reasonably after disasters, duch as the orderly evacuation of the citizenry of Dauphin County after Three Mile Island?

The tale wherein "everyone starts murdering each other for their gold fillings after the power goes out" is a media myth. The closest thing to that is the New York blackouts of 1977 (not a single man was killed in the blackouts of 1977)- but then again, there were multiple incidents of major, multi-state blackouts that ended peacefully. On the other hand, the blackout of 1965, leaving 30 million people without power, constituted the lowest-crime night in the entire history of New York City.

There are far more incidents of major blackouts that ended peacefully in the US than vice versa.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 03:44:33 PM »
The blackout occurred when the city was facing a severe financial crisis and its residents were fretting over the Son of Sam murders. The nation as a whole was suffering from a protracted economic downturn and commentators have contrasted the event with the good-natured "Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?" atmosphere of 1965. Some pointed to the financial crisis as a root cause of the disorder, others noted the hot July weather. (The city at the time was in the middle of a brutal heat wave). Still others pointed out that the 1977 blackout came after businesses had closed and their owners went home, while in 1965 the blackout occurred during the day and owners stayed to protect their property. However, the 1977 looters continued their damage into the daylight hours, with police on alert.[1]

Looting and vandalism were widespread, hitting 31 neighborhoods, including most poor neighborhoods in the city. Possibly the hardest hit were Crown Heights, where 75 stores on a five-block stretch were looted, and Bushwick where arson was rampant with some 25 fires still burning the next morning. At one point two blocks of Broadway, which separates Bushwick from Bedford-Stuyvesant in Brooklyn, were on fire. Thirty-five blocks of Broadway were destroyed: 134 stores looted, 45 of them set ablaze. Thieves stole 50 new Pontiacs from a Bronx car dealership.[1] In Brooklyn, youths were seen backing up cars to targeted stores, tying ropes around the stores' grates, and using their cars to pull the grates away before looting the store.[1] While 550 police officers were injured in the mayhem, 4,500 looters were arrested.[1]

Mayor Abe Beame spoke during the blackout about what citizens were up against during the blackout and what the costs would be.

"We've seen our citizens subjected to violence, vandalism, theft and discomfort. The Blackout has threatened our safety and has seriously impacted our economy. We've been needlessly subjected to a night of terror in many communities that have been wantonly looted and burned. The costs when finally tallied will be enormous."[3]

Because of the power failure, LaGuardia and Kennedy airports were closed down for about eight hours, automobile tunnels were closed because of lack of ventilation, and 4,000 people had to be evacuated from the subway system. ConEd called the shutdown an "act of God", enraging Mayor Beame, who charged that the utility was guilty of "gross negligence." In many neighborhoods, veterans of the 1965 blackout headed to the streets at the first sign of darkness. But many of them did not find the same spirit. In poor neighborhoods across the city, looting and arson erupted. On streets like Brooklyn's Broadway the rumble of iron store gates being forced up and the shattering of glass preceded scenes of couches, televisions, and heaps of clothing being paraded through the streets by looters at once defiant, furtive and gleeful. "The looters were looting other looters, and the fists and the knives were coming out," Carl St. Martin, a neurologist in Forest Hills, Queens, recalled years later. A third-year medical student living in Bushwick when the blackout hit, recalled he spent the night suturing a succession of angry wounds at Wyckoff Heights Hospital. Before the lights came back on, even Brooks Brothers on Madison Avenue was looted. On July 17, the first Sunday after the blackout, a priest named Gabriel Santacruz looked out at the congregation in St. Barbara's Church in Bushwick and jokingly referred to the "act of God", declared by ConEd when he said, "We are without God now." [4]

In all, 1,616 stores were damaged in looting and rioting. 1,037 fires were responded to, including 14 multiple-alarm fires. In the largest mass arrest in city history, 3,776 people were arrested. Many had to be stuffed into overcrowded cells, precinct basements and other makeshift holding pens. A Congressional study estimated that the cost of damages amounted to a little over US$300 million

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 03:57:20 PM »
Yes, I can read. What of all the other incidents, which ended peacefully?

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 04:01:46 PM »
i m so sorry  i am handicapped by living in the usa and actually having experienced power outages where i can assure you folks were "not calm". that actual experience probably stops me from seeing the big picture as well as you. in the country?  folks are pretty good?  more urban? less well.  rich folks? zomg! lets sue

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 04:04:27 PM »
history indicates not

Things seemed pretty quite during the recent power outages from the super-dericho earlier this month.  Hell, I drove from Manassas to Fairfax, heading deeper into the affected area, without running into major issues or seeing looters running amok.

Chris

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 04:08:28 PM »
i m so sorry  i am handicapped by living in the usa and actually having experienced power outages where i can assure you folks were "not calm". that actual experience probably stops me from seeing the big picture as well as you. in the country?  folks are pretty good?  more urban? less well.  rich folks? zomg! lets sue

There's a bit of difference between suing (which is you know a legitimate response when people fail to provide a service they were paid to provide) and OMG RIOTING IN THE STREETS AND MURDERING PEOPLE END OF CIVILIZATION.

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 04:16:43 PM »
other than you
who mentioned "OMG RIOTING IN THE STREETS AND MURDERING PEOPLE END OF CIVILIZATION."

i have a higher standard than you apparently  i expect folks to act civilized in crisis  as in remain calm. not hoard price gouge or otherwise act poorly

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 04:28:36 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 04:29:04 PM »
What about the blackout that occurred across a good chunk of the eastern USA and Canada in 2003?

Eight states, one province up north, 45 million people without power.

I don't recall widespread looting during that 24 hour plus ordeal.

Most looting during blackouts happen in neighborhoods that have underlying crime problems to begin with, I suspect.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 04:41:07 PM »
Looting and murdering? Maybe not so much. Fretting and freaking out, and helpless confusion, yes there is a lot of that.

It also depends on the prevailing temperatures during the outage.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 05:05:48 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
Yes, I can read. What of all the other incidents, which ended peacefully?

Like New Orleans after Katrina?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 07:09:34 PM »
With their DIY wiring practices, why in the world would India have more electrical problems than we do?

And this is where they like to out source IT to... :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 07:24:07 PM »
Like New Orleans after Katrina?

You know that the looting/violence in Katrina was vastly exaggerated even by people who were there, right?

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 07:35:39 PM »
we can't see that from here   too close

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 07:49:44 PM »
we can't see that from here   too close

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/environment/natural-disasters/2315076

The only confirmed account of a weapon discharge occurred when Louisiana Guardsman Chris Watt was jumped by an assailant and, during the chaotic arrest, accidently shot himself in the leg with his own M-16.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 07:55:37 PM »
Expect overcrowding in maternity wards nine months from now  ;)

:lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 08:24:02 PM »

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/environment/natural-disasters/2315076

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/01/us/new-orleans-murder/index.html

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-11-30-orleans-crime-cover_x.htm
After a few virtually crime-free months following Katrina — when the city had just a handful of residents and was teeming with National Guard, state police and law enforcement from around the country — the usual suspects began returning, New Orleans Police Superintendent Warren Riley says. And while Riley reports that 70% of murders are drug-related, there's an upswing in a new kind of crime: brutal, domestic violence that he attributes to the stress of living in post-Katrina New Orleans.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 08:55:13 PM »
other than you
who mentioned "OMG RIOTING IN THE STREETS AND MURDERING PEOPLE END OF CIVILIZATION."

i have a higher standard than you apparently  i expect folks to act civilized in crisis  as in remain calm. not hoard price gouge or otherwise act poorly

Then quite possibly you do.

Frankly if my neighbors do not try to steal my crap during a crisis, panic quietly (that is to say, do not stampede over each other, which actually reduces chances of survival), and do not riot, I am completely satisfied.

And indeed this is the standard by which my neighbors acted when the rockets were falling here - sure people whined about being afraid and so on, but society functioned and the stores were open.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 09:03:47 PM »
If this power outage goes on much longer, I'm afraid Indian civilization might get set back a year our something.
I promise not to duck.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 10:52:28 PM »
Even if the were bombed back to the stone age that would still be a improvement in infrastructure.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 12:55:18 AM »
After seeing those pictures, I hope they don't have squirrels in India. :facepalm: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.