Author Topic: The Ten Most Useless Pickups Ever  (Read 3284 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Ten Most Useless Pickups Ever
« on: September 07, 2014, 03:24:59 PM »
I can't really argue with their list, especially #1, which bugs the crap out of me. I'm surprised the Avalanche wasn't listed.

http://jalopnik.com/the-ten-most-useless-trucks-ever-built-1631003122?utm_source=recirculation&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=fridayPM
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: The Ten Most Useless Pickups Ever
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 03:47:18 PM »
They missed Honda Ridgeline. Looks like a truck, built like a car.  i can't argue with the list, but now I want a rotary powered Mazda. I got my mother to buy a Subaru Baja 10 years ago when she thought she wanted a truck. No doubt she is still alive due to this. She has no business in RWD and high Cg vehicles. And they are good at one thing, cult following. That stupid Baja will sell within a week for way more than a comparable Outback.  Like as much as you paid for it if you got a good deal.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 04:32:57 PM »
I have never thought of the Chevy SSR as a "retro styled pickup." It's more of a roadster wannabe ... not a pickup.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 05:03:44 PM »
I hate brodozers.

The class I'm in here at the tech college has several people with them. Daddy's money jacked it up for them, they love to "roll coal", and these things are the very definition of highly polished turd.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 06:11:58 PM »
No one who ever bought a GMC Syclone did so thinking they were buying a work truck. 

I was disappointed with #1.  Went from specific models to a generic modified show truck. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

birdman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
I can't really argue with their list, especially #1, which bugs the crap out of me. I'm surprised the Avalanche wasn't listed.

http://jalopnik.com/the-ten-most-useless-trucks-ever-built-1631003122?utm_source=recirculation&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=fridayPM

I had a 3/4 ton avalanche, it was actually quite useful.  Why do you think they aren't?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 07:10:40 PM »
I had a 3/4 ton avalanche, it was actually quite useful.  Why do you think they aren't?

As a pickup? Cargo area carrying capacity and length for stuff like lumber and larger items. For sports use, like carrying camping equipment, or SCUBA equipment without getting saltwater and sand inside your car or SUV, I'm sure they're fine. I was reading the article as rating trucks based on utilitarian function for "work" type stuff.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 07:49:36 PM »
I guess my question about the Avalanche is...why? What real advantage does it offer over a standard pickup truck?

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 07:56:59 PM »
I guess my question about the Avalanche is...why? What real advantage does it offer over a standard pickup truck?

GM can charge more for them?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 10:09:50 PM »
No one who ever bought a GMC Syclone did so thinking they were buying a work truck. 

I was disappointed with #1.  Went from specific models to a generic modified show truck. 

Yeah, the whole purpose of the syclone was to build a hotrod, wuthout having to deal with cafe standards placed on cars :cool:

I like the quip about the c/k with the olds deisel- the olds deisel wasn't meant to be a diesel engine, it was meant to be a race engibe fir the oldsmobile racing program, they made them into deisels and sold them to the passenger vehicle market in order that the engine could could meet certain 'production car' rules for racing organization.
Converted to gasoline, they can take 1000+hp with no modifications, sonthing that would tear a chevy small block to pieces.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 01:01:10 AM »
Have to disagree with them on including the Syclone and Ram.  These were no-apologies hot rods with only vestigial nods to their utilitarian roots. Anyone to use them as a truck deserved every bit of misery they were bound to suffer. The SSR? I actually kinda liked it for it's new-retro styling and decent performance. Same thing with it as with the other two muscle trucks. They are hot rods wrapped in truck-shaped sheetmetal. Putting them on a "most useless trucks" list is akin to the same mentality you get with Fudds talking down SBRs. 

The rest? Meh. Most had a use somewhere, though I will agree wholeheartedly with their comments on the Olds-based 5.7 diesel. The only good to come of that turd was it had a damned strong lower end. Junkyard blocks were excellent starting point for a budget gas-burner.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 01:29:11 AM »
The SSR is kind of a neat-looking vehicle.

Obviously, no one is going to make it their farm truck, or the prime mover for their landscaping side jobs.  ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 01:40:33 AM »
The SSR is kind of a neat-looking vehicle.

Obviously, no one is going to make it their farm truck, or the prime mover for their landscaping side jobs.  ;/

Herectic!

This is APS, where the only acceptable trucks have vinyl bench seats (with only lap belts!), a carbureted straight six engine, hand crank windows, rubber floormats, unboosted steering and brakes, and a column manual shifter. Also no A/C!

Anything more is "not a truck"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 01:54:22 AM »
I 've got power steering in one truck...... And shoulder belts. But I don't wear em

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 01:59:28 AM »
I 've got power steering in one truck...... And shoulder belts. But I don't wear em

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I forgot the mostly metal, thinly covered dash for the occupant's head to slam against in a crash...

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 02:10:59 AM »
*cough* gastankinthecab *cough*

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 03:20:55 AM »
*cough* gastankinthecab *cough*

Brad

Reminds me, I've got a 69 C20 with my name on it too, just need some serious resto work.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 06:32:40 AM »
As a pickup? Cargo area carrying capacity and length for stuff like lumber and larger items. For sports use, like carrying camping equipment, or SCUBA equipment without getting saltwater and sand inside your car or SUV, I'm sure they're fine. I was reading the article as rating trucks based on utilitarian function for "work" type stuff.

Same bed length/width as a short bed pickup (without opening the mid-gate, 8' with, same or more space as a quad-cab, fully lockable bed cover stock, access to the bed from the inside of the truck, tows >10,000lbs.
I used mine for work.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 01:03:09 PM »
Herectic!

This is APS, where the only acceptable trucks have vinyl bench seats (with only lap belts!), a carbureted straight six engine, hand crank windows, rubber floormats, unboosted steering and brakes, and a column manual shifter. Also no A/C!

Anything more is "not a truck"

I don't remember what my dad's criteria are, for an actual truck, but pick-ups do not meet them.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 01:48:32 PM »

I don't remember what my dad's criteria are, for an actual truck, but pick-ups do not meet them.

My criteria for a truck are: its not a truck until it has a dent in it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 03:08:49 PM »
Trucks are made to haul things and people.  If you are worried about scratching it up and denting it you don't have a truck.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 05:33:02 PM »
I'm just surprised I've never seen this around town:

It's funny how many vehicles there are here that have to avoid the main drag because they'll high center on the railroad tracks.  I've driven here for over 20 years and I still can't remember all the places my southern-engineered exhaust will drag, and I can't imagine most of them wouldn't actually get stuck in those spots.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 11:55:57 PM »
"Slammed show trucks..."

What kind of asshattery is this?  You can ruin a useful truck by slamming it.

Useless as teats on a boar hog:
Ridgeline
Avalanche
By skipping those models, the authors proved they are imbeciles.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2014, 09:29:50 AM »
a buddy had an avalanche
it was fun, if the item you needed in the bed, rolled to the front

the high fashion bed pillar thing prevented you from reaching in from the side
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 09:47:27 AM »
Subaru Baja; making the Brat the pinnacle of Subaru's truck-building achievements.