Author Topic: The Ten Most Useless Pickups Ever  (Read 3285 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: The Ten Most Useless Pickups Ever
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2014, 10:46:16 AM »
Subaru Baja; making the Brat the pinnacle of Subaru's truck-building achievements.

When I was a kid I thought the Brat was awesome.  I did not realize the seats in the bed were there to avoid the then 25% imported pickup tax.  And were supposedly deliberately easy to remove.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 11:20:46 AM »
When I was a kid I thought the Brat was awesome.  I did not realize the seats in the bed were there to avoid the then 25% imported pickup tax.  And were supposedly deliberately easy to remove.

I'd love to find one in reasonably restorable shape with the seats.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 11:36:21 AM »

There's apparently almost a cult regarding the Brats, at least in CA. A lot of guys, especially the surfer dudes, restore them or otherwise trick them out, and then do stuff like month long Baja excursions with them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 12:02:09 PM »
#1: anyone who does that to a beautiful old Chevy pickup should go to the Special Hell along with child molesters and people who talk in the theater  [ar15]

This is APS, where the only acceptable trucks have vinyl bench seats (with only lap belts!), a carbureted straight six engine, hand crank windows, rubber floormats, unboosted steering and brakes, and a column manual shifter. Also no A/C!
Well, for banging around in the forest and cutting firewood, that is really just the right thing.  ;)
I saw my old friend in Colorado a couple days ago, and found out that when he retired from the resort that he got to take the 1965 K-20 with the 292 straight six.  Somebody gave him one of those old slip-in dump beds from the 1980s and he put it on the white pickup and uses it to go get firewood  :cool: 
(that's the one vehicle in the world that I am actually tempted to steal  =D )
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 12:34:21 PM »
When this thread was initially posted I thought it was "The Ten Most Useless Pickups (i.e. Lines) Ever"

I was sorely disappointed . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2014, 01:06:29 PM »
My parents considered a Brat when they first came out.  No seat belts in the back seats stopped them from doing so.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 08:32:01 PM »
i'd have added every fullsize truck built since 2003.  they've made the beds too high to be useful.......
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 10:30:25 PM »
Herectic!

This is APS, where the only acceptable trucks have vinyl bench seats (with only lap belts!), a carbureted straight six engine, hand crank windows, rubber floormats, unboosted steering and brakes, and a column manual shifter. Also no A/C!

Anything more is "not a truck"

BULL FEATHERS!!
A granny low 4 speed on the floor beets a 3 speed column shift, and floor mats are for girls.
Don't make me post a pick of my real man's truck again. =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2014, 10:40:02 PM »

I thought the chevy Luv was awesome as a kid as a cheap beat around mini pickup.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2014, 11:52:47 PM »
*cough* gastankinthecab *cough*

Brad

You and Boomhauer are describing my dad's '65 GMC to a T, except it was a V6, with an oil-bath air cleaner.  I learned to drive in that truck.

(Learned a few other things as well ...)

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2014, 12:52:55 AM »
Gotta love a bench seat for that kinda education

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2014, 02:13:45 AM »
I thought the chevy Luv was awesome as a kid as a cheap beat around mini pickup.

Dad had one in the mid '80s that he shoehorned a Chevy 350 into.   I drove it a couple times while home on leave, kind of fun.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2014, 06:49:44 AM »
Saw on FB yesterday where there is a '53 Willies/Willys for sale in the KC area for $3500.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2014, 10:59:52 AM »
BULL FEATHERS!!
A granny low 4 speed on the floor beets a 3 speed column shift, and floor mats are for girls.
Don't make me post a pick of my real man's truck again. =D
I didn't catch the part about the 3 speed  =|  Those are close to useless.

I used to have a 1965 Chevy short stepside with 230 six and four speed.  It was just 2wd but it would go just about anywhere.  :cool:

After I got sick and went back to college, I got stupid and decided that we couldn't afford and didn't need two vehicles living in town, and so I sold it  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin