Author Topic: Linux people, sound off  (Read 2735 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Linux people, sound off
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2007, 04:39:27 PM »

Question for everyone.  I got a laptop from work to use as a security and troubleshooting spare.  I'll be dual booting XP and Linux.  Does anyone know of anything better than GRUB, or is it still the best?  Anyone who says LILO will be shot. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2007, 04:44:40 PM »
I still use grub.  It does the job.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2007, 10:15:33 AM »
I would advise against dual-booting.  It was always a pain.

With VMware giving away their server product free (as in free beer), dual-booting is much less attractive.

We set up some linux laptops running VMware & WinXP running on top of the VMware.  Work pretty well.

Anyway, that's my $0.02.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2007, 10:32:41 AM »
Also check out VirtualBox, if you go the VM route.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2007, 05:20:20 PM »
Well, if I could get Ubuntu to recognize my network printer, I'd be a happy camper. Seems nobody knows how to help me solve my problem. Sad I like the simplicity of Ubuntu overall.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

JimMarch

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2007, 05:48:08 PM »
What kind of printer is it?

Iain

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2007, 06:15:29 AM »
Very limited experience here, but it matches jfrusers. Boot times were horrendous, booting up XP after running Ubuntu would take upwards of five minutes. My (admittedly new and more powerful) machine will boot Ubuntu in under 45s.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2007, 06:32:16 AM »
What kind of printer is it?
It's an HP 7410, all in one printer that has it's own IP. I can ping the printer, but the OS doesn't see it. I installed HPux(?) and some other stuff that I could find in the FAQs. Still no joy.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

JimMarch

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2007, 07:45:06 PM »
Huh.

You know...the print subsystem has been rebuilt from the ground up in Gutsy Gibbon.  Esp. where IP address printers are concerned - it will seek out the right driver.  It goes officially live in a couple of weeks but the beta is pretty good.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2007, 07:47:35 PM »
Is the beta stable enough for everyday use?  I almost installed it tonight, but stopped short.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2007, 09:00:11 PM »

Really?  I never had problems with it, although I use swappable hard drive cartridges in my machines, a separate hard drive for WinXP Pro, and another one for whatever flavor of Linux I'm playing with at the moment. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

JimMarch

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2007, 10:08:09 PM »
They just issued a "release candidate".  I've been on the beta for two weeks.  It works.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2007, 04:44:10 AM »

Really?  I never had problems with it, although I use swappable hard drive cartridges in my machines, a separate hard drive for WinXP Pro, and another one for whatever flavor of Linux I'm playing with at the moment. 
G98:

What you describe is not the typical dual-boot situation, where there is one (or more) hard drives with one boot sector, and multiple OSes.  Your method is much cleaner & less trouble-prone than the usual DB.

Thee are a couple of reasons I am not a big fan of dual-booting:

1. Boot loader woes.
2. blasting the original OS when installing the second (not as likely as it used to be)
3. (The biggie, to me) sharing data between the two OSes:

MS does not play nice with other OSes and makes it difficult for non-MS folks to properly deal with NTFS.  There are linux tools that can tap into & manipulate NTFS, but if used regularly, you WILL corrupt your NTFS data.  It is a matter of time and/or read/writes.

So, that leaves one with the not-so-wonderful option of having (at least) three file formats & partitions: ext3 for linux, NTFS for Windows, and FAT for data partitions you'd like to access form both.  FAT may be fine for flash memory sticks, but I don't want to put it to hard use in mission-critical applications.

The virtual machine route is much cleaner, especially nowadays with dual-core processors and relatively cheap RAM.  I usually choose for the installed-on-hardware OS to be the one that has the apps with the greatest performance demands.  If it is a toss-up, I install linux on the hardware.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2007, 05:21:12 AM »
+1 to virtualization.

My home system is a Windows XPx64 box, running an AMD 3800-X2 64-bit processor and currently stoked with 3GB of RAM.  I've got two 300GB HD's, one is for my core OS and the other holds any virtual machines I need.

Right now I have detached and turned off my linux Virtual Machine (Running on Microsoft's perfectly fine Virtual Server software) and I am running 4 VM instances of Windows Server 2008 Longhorn:  1 Domain box, 1 Web Server, 1 Term Server and 1 SQL Server.  Trying to find a way to replace my current Windows 2000/2003 Citrix ASP farm with a lower cost alternative.

Once I'm done with that, my SuSE instance will be turned back on.  My home box is pretty strong, but it ain't THAT strong that I can run unlimited VM's on it.

Must... get... 6GB... of... RAM... grin
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!