Author Topic: Don't stop in tall grass after a high speed run...  (Read 1383 times)

Calumus

• friend

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Don't stop in tall grass after a high speed run...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 08:36:53 AM »
Stupid cop for driving like that and for stopping in the tall grass.  And the other driver is also an idiot for stopping on the median instead of the shoulder.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 08:54:15 AM »
Yeah, I thought passing on the shoulder at 120+ was a bit absurd for a speeding ticket. Plus, I'm not sure when pulling over to the left became a thing. I never saw it until a couple years ago, now it's fairly regular in my area.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 09:59:06 AM »
Seems to me he should have pulled forward behind the other car to get away from the burning grass.  Too late a minute or two later.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 10:27:47 AM »
Plus, I'm not sure when pulling over to the left became a thing. I never saw it until a couple years ago, now it's fairly regular in my area.

I'm seeing it more around here and every time I see it happen the driver is young.  I'm guessing that today's driver's education class isn't working too well.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 11:04:14 AM »
I'm seeing it more around here and every time I see it happen the driver is young.  I'm guessing that today's driver's education class isn't working too well.
If the road is a divided highway and the median is large, I can see it working just fine.  In this case, I think the right side was better. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 11:15:58 AM »
Once again the phrase "Don't go into the long grass" proves to be sound advice.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 11:16:48 AM »
If the road is a divided highway and the median is large, I can see it working just fine.  In this case, I think the right side was better. 

I see a couple of problems with using the grassy median.

1.  It is grass/dirt/mud.  Traction is reduced, which affects deceleration as well as acceleration after the stop is finished.
2.  Grass/dirt/mud is harder to drive on.
3.  The median is often slopped away from the road.
4.  Fire hazard as seen in the video.
5.  Generally, traffic in the lane closest to the median is travelling faster than the right-hand lane.  Makes getting back on the highway harder.
6.  Many states have laws that require other drivers to slow and/or move over one lane when passing an emergency vehicle.  "Fast lane" traffic moving into the "slow lane" is unusual and may cause problems.
7.  If the car needs to be towed after the traffic stop, now the heavy tow truck needs to drive on the soft surface of the median.
8.  Most states require a driver to move to the right when an emergency vehicle is behind them.  The median is not to the right.
9.  The grass might hide obstacles that could damage the car or cause loss of control.

The first time I saw someone move to the grassy median when being pulled over was on I-95 in MA.  I think I posted about it here.  His actions almost caused a multi-car crash, because he pulled onto the median without slowing down first.  He damn near lost control of his car.  The state trooper that was following him had to move hard to the right to avoid hitting the idiot, which caused many other cars to have to slow or move in reaction.  This happened at busy time of day on a four lane portion of the northbound side of I-95.  It would have been a big crashy mess.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 12:00:06 PM »
No crap, I thought everyone was aware of this danger since cat converters became common.  Don't all "off road" vehicles have guards on the converters nowadays?

I'm not up to snuff on all the modern details, but it sure was a well-publicized danger years ago.  I seem to recall a joke about the pollution from the fires being worse than the pollution from the cars.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 12:57:00 PM »
Lots of stupid displayed by that trooper, and not just with the grass fire torching his cruiser.
He should be driving a desk permanently.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 01:43:38 PM »
The audio of the cop before and as he pulled the speeder over brought to my mind the saying "What he lacked in competence he made up for in confidence."
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 02:27:33 PM »
... Plus, I'm not sure when pulling over to the left became a thing. I never saw it until a couple years ago, now it's fairly regular in my area.
I've always considered it a form of passive resistance by members of the lower socio-economic groups by trying to make things as difficult as possible for the officer without actually doing anything technically wrong.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 02:28:29 PM »
I see a couple of problems with using the grassy median.

1.  It is grass/dirt/mud.  Traction is reduced, which affects deceleration as well as acceleration after the stop is finished.
2.  Grass/dirt/mud is harder to drive on.
3.  The median is often slopped away from the road.
4.  Fire hazard as seen in the video.
5.  Generally, traffic in the lane closest to the median is travelling faster than the right-hand lane.  Makes getting back on the highway harder.
6.  Many states have laws that require other drivers to slow and/or move over one lane when passing an emergency vehicle.  "Fast lane" traffic moving into the "slow lane" is unusual and may cause problems.
7.  If the car needs to be towed after the traffic stop, now the heavy tow truck needs to drive on the soft surface of the median.
8.  Most states require a driver to move to the right when an emergency vehicle is behind them.  The median is not to the right.
9.  The grass might hide obstacles that could damage the car or cause loss of control.

The first time I saw someone move to the grassy median when being pulled over was on I-95 in MA.  I think I posted about it here.  His actions almost caused a multi-car crash, because he pulled onto the median without slowing down first.  He damn near lost control of his car.  The state trooper that was following him had to move hard to the right to avoid hitting the idiot, which caused many other cars to have to slow or move in reaction.  This happened at busy time of day on a four lane portion of the northbound side of I-95.  It would have been a big crashy mess.
All good reasons, but I have seen medians on the left all in concrete that were wider than the lanes.  Certainly not everywhere.  

As far as tall grass, that isn't the best idea no matter where it is.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 02:49:39 PM »
If there's room on the left, it could be safer for the officer to enter/exit his vehicle.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 04:34:37 PM »
Once again the phrase "Don't go into the long grass" proves to be sound advice.

That's the bottom line. Catalytic converters are HOT. The high speed chase didn't help any, but it also probably didn't make much difference. The converter would have been hot enough to light dry grass anyway.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 10:15:23 PM »
A few years ago one of the company installers pulled off the road to check directions to his next service call.
We were in the midst of a Summer drought after a wet spring, lots of dead/dry grass.
He lit off the grass and torched his service rig, a Ford Transit with less than 5K miles on it.
oopsie
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 10:49:20 PM »
"I'm the only one in this room on this road professional enough..."
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 11:04:16 PM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2018, 09:30:54 AM »
What is that?  Lightning strike?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2018, 10:11:25 AM »
The officer did say something about "I don't recommend doing that... but ( I, he ) just did...." as he pulled off the road.  ~1:55.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2018, 12:17:24 PM »
The officer did say something about "I don't recommend doing that... but ( I, he ) just did...." as he pulled off the road.  ~1:55.

I think he was talking about passing on the shoulder at 100+ mph, but he could be talking about the entire episode.