Author Topic: "His Name is Actually Smokey Bear"  (Read 1077 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"His Name is Actually Smokey Bear"
« on: November 21, 2018, 09:28:09 AM »
Where "real news" organization Buzzfeed is under the impression that Smokey the Bear is some guy.  :rofl:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018/11/21/ffs-buzzfeed-issues-correction-on-smokey-bear/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: "His Name is Actually Smokey Bear"
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 09:34:55 AM »

Just more of the lack of any sense of history.

For the left, it really seems that they believe nothing happened before yesterday.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 09:44:51 AM »
We’ve deleted this tweet. Smokey Bear fronts a campaign for wildfire prevention, not wildfire suppression.

I first read that as "wildlife prevention" which made me think it was worse.  I don't remember anything other than "Smokey the Bear" with no last name.  But that is a minor thing. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 09:50:47 AM »

For the left, it really seems that they believe nothing happened before yesterday.

Yup. On the more serious note, this is why we have things like "OMG Global Warming!!!!!!!!" because it's all about what happened in these people's lifetime, and nothing before 1990 or so ever happened. Let alone 10,000 or 10,000,000 years ago.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 10:03:52 AM »
Yup. On the more serious note, this is why we have things like "OMG Global Warming!!!!!!!!" because it's all about what happened in these people's lifetime, and nothing before 1990 or so ever happened. Let alone 10,000 or 10,000,000 years ago.

My mother has told me about blizzards that covered the fenceposts just before I was born. In my entire time in Illinois, I never experienced that.

I also know from my Grandmother that the 30s had consistent, oppressive heat (most of our high temperature records STILL come from the 30s.)

I guess the extreme I witnessed was the major flooding of the Mississippi, Illinois, and associated rivers.

If the beginning of this winter (which hasn't even started!) is any indication, we may be in for the Fencepost blizzards this year. (Or, I should say, THEY are in for it, as I'm now a good ways further south and can tell the difference in climate.)

The prevailing perspective on such things is seriously skewed.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 10:12:17 AM »
My mother has told me about blizzards that covered the fenceposts just before I was born. In my entire time in Illinois, I never experienced that.

I also know from my Grandmother that the 30s had consistent, oppressive heat (most of our high temperature records STILL come from the 30s.)

I guess the extreme I witnessed was the major flooding of the Mississippi, Illinois, and associated rivers.

If the beginning of this winter (which hasn't even started!) is any indication, we may be in for the Fencepost blizzards this year. (Or, I should say, THEY are in for it, as I'm now a good ways further south and can tell the difference in climate.)

The prevailing perspective on such things is seriously skewed.

I may misremember, but it seems that we reached 100 more when I was a kid, than now.  Ditto extremes of cold, prior to the last 5 years or so.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 10:19:20 AM »

Y' know, that definitely explains a lot.

Over the entrance to Norlin Library on the University of Colorado campus in Boulder:

WHO KNOWS ONLY HIS OWN GENERATION REMAINS ALWAYS A CHILD

Terry

REF:
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/university-colorado-boulder-22699885.jpg
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 10:38:14 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 10:22:21 AM »
I first read that as "wildlife prevention" which made me think it was worse.  I don't remember anything other than "Smokey the Bear" with no last name.  But that is a minor thing.

Correct. It was "Smokey the Bear" ...

[deep voice]"Remember, only YOU can prevent [not "suppress"] forest fires. Be sure it's out ... dead out."[/deep voice]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 10:24:51 AM »
I may misremember, but it seems that we reached 100 more when I was a kid, than now.  Ditto extremes of cold, prior to the last 5 years or so.

I always find it interesting to view the historical data from the various COOP stations, specifically the monthly extremes. Often you'll see something like a station hitting some record high last year, but then when you go back 50 years, you find a temp within 1 deg of it, but with many days at that temp, versus just the one off "record" day. Or several years in a row with some monthly extreme, then a dozen years of more moderate temps.

https://wrcc.dri.edu/Climate/west_coop_summaries.php

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 02:42:04 PM »
Over the entrance to Norlin Library on the University of Colorado campus in Boulder:

WHO KNOWS ONLY HIS OWN GENERATION REMAINS ALWAYS A CHILD

Ironic, given the location: in the middle of Snowflake Central (and I don't mean the weather).
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 10:47:43 PM »
(And yes, his name is actually Smokey Bear)
They REALLY had no idea about this whole thing. They post that like people are supposed to be surprised and shocked about this.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 12:09:18 AM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 05:55:35 PM »
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 06:56:46 PM »
"...be careful with matches, smokes, campfires, and burning letters from your ex husband in the forest, especially during a burn ban and you work for the U.S. Forest Service..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayman_Fire

A forestry technician with the U.S. Forest Service, Terry Barton, set the fire in a campfire ring during a total burn ban triggered by a National Weather Service red flag warning. Barton's claim that she was attempting to burn a letter from her estranged husband was disputed by one of her teenage daughters who testified that a psychology teacher had told Ms. Barton to write her feelings in a letter and burn it..

:facepalm:
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.