Author Topic: Fiber-based internet is goooood  (Read 1591 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Fiber-based internet is goooood
« on: November 21, 2018, 12:45:52 PM »
AT&T just upgraded my 'hood to fiber service. I signed up the day they announced availability and the install was this morning.

Ohhhh... yeahhhhhh....

Old service was AT&T broadband over legacy copper. Regularly tested at 16/3 (down/up) with 40-45ms ping. Also prone to regular slowdowns, especially on weekends when everyone was home and service was saturated. New service? Point-to-point fiber, new line and all. Test 120/120 with 20ms ping and I'm on the the slowest service option available with fiber. Bandwidth is unreal. Best part? It's $20 less a month than the old service, and that's after the intro rate expires.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Fiber-based internet is goooood
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 12:49:56 PM »
Hi Brad,

Just wanted to leave you a quick note to let you know how much I hate you.

Hugs,

Amy
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 12:52:17 PM »
AT&T sent their sales folks around in September trying to get me to sign up for fiber-to-the-home.  They promised we would see the trucks in the neighborhood putting down fiber in October.  I told them that as soon as FTH was in the neighborhood, I would sign up.
Here it is November, never saw any trucks, and no FTH in the neighborhood.
I think the real reason for their visit was to get me to buy DirectTV from them.  They were pushing that hard along with the FTH, and the FTH was just a smokescreen for DirectTV sales.  Told them I wasn't interested in tying the cord again after we cut it a couple of years ago.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 12:57:59 PM »
I did not go with fiber when it came around to our neighborhood about six years ago.  I stayed with analog service over copper. When we moved to our current house, Xfinity/Comcast ran copper coax to all the homes.  I have a modem connected directly to the copper coax and an Ethernet running to the router.  My Dell desktop is connected via Ethernet to the router.  Xfinity recently did some sort of service upgrade.  I was formerly getting 175 MBps down and 24 Mbps up on the desktop and 90 Mbps down and 24 Mbps up on the wireless network.  After the upgrade, and with no additional cost, I am getting 300 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up on the desktop and 160 or so Mbps down and 12 Mbps up on the wireless network.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 01:08:31 PM »
FU Brad.

=D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 07:25:03 PM »
100/100 Mbps over fiber to the home here. NOT AT&T.
Best i could get from AT&T was 3000/500 PTM DSL for my employee discounted rate of $39 a month. I got the fiber service from my electric Co-op for $48 a month.
Direct TV and 5G will solve all of your broadband problems, really.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 09:58:30 PM »
Jeez, took you long enough.  We've had gigabit fiber here in kansas city for years.  :-*

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 10:09:00 PM »

Direct TV and 5G will solve all of your broadband problems, really.

DirecTV?

I have a friend in rural Montana who has satellite internet (not DirecTV -- Hughes, I think). She says it's VERY slow. How is DirecTV significantly faster than any other satellite link?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 10:11:36 PM »
It has electrolytes
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 11:54:15 PM »
I would KILL for fiber like we had in Bentonville, AR. The drop from fiber to copper was IN our back yard and we were early adopters. OMG at the SPEED and throughput!

My best here to date?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 09:36:46 AM »
I wish you guys would all shut up.  :mad:

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 01:08:37 PM »
5.94 down/ .54 up.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 01:19:17 PM »
AT&T stopped it's high-speed link ONE street down from mine - and despite repeated efforts on my part to get an answer to when they'd be extending the lines, I've never gotten a response.

So . . . I dropped AT&T's DSL and got Spectrum instead.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

CypherNinja

• friend
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2018, 08:59:35 PM »
GFY.

46.5/3.4.  But that is when it works at all.  It is super unreliable.  I think we've had techs out a couple dozen times over the last couple years.  And it's always something different they find to fix.
Formerly sumpnz