Author Topic: Ever purchase a firearm "for the wife" though it really wasn't?  (Read 843 times)

Snowdog

• friend
Ever purchase a firearm "for the wife" though it really wasn't?
« on: November 23, 2018, 06:26:22 AM »
I recently purchased a Taurus Spectrum because of the colors... and that my wife might like it.
Then I purchased some "Tiffany Blue" powder coat, that the wife might like to use with her new gun.

Then I purchase a pistol for myself since it's my turn to have a new pistol (a Sarsilmaz SAR 9).

The thing is, I haven't told my wife about the Spectrum and might never.  

Is this weird?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Ever purchase a firearm "for the wife" though it really wasn't?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 08:03:10 AM »
No, never have.   :lol:

My wife picked one of my guns to keep as hers after she shot it a few times.  I think she would be disappointed if I bought her a "girl's gun."

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 08:47:11 AM »
You've bought yourself a powerful ugly handgun there.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 09:00:15 AM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 10:39:19 AM »
I guess I fail to understand the colored ammo.  Is that suppose to match the target it hits? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 11:35:32 AM »
I'm a bit confused by the teal ammo, but I like the composition and wouldn't mind owning the pistol at all.  It looks pleasingly unconventional.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 05:12:31 PM »
You've bought yourself a powerful ugly handgun there.

"Powerful ugly", I like that.  It's very Firefly-esque, like someone Mal might say.  I'm stealing it.   =D

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 05:13:36 PM »
Does the ammo come teal powder-coated or did you do that?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 05:28:34 PM »
You actually can't give it to her, because that might be a straw purchase.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 05:56:15 PM »

Eh?

Unless he lives in a weird state, gifts usually don't count as straw purchases. He might need to do the transfer through an FFL if he lives in a state with universal background checks, though I think even most of those states don't require them for transfers between family members...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 06:11:57 PM »

Only if she gave him the money to purchase it, and/or if she is prohibited from purchasing a firearm herself.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 06:39:13 PM »
"Powerful ugly", I like that.  It's very Firefly-esque, like someone Mal might say.  I'm stealing it.   =D

I can't claim the credit. It's from the opening scene of episode 6. :D

https://youtu.be/jEqt0mWviwg

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 07:20:32 PM »
So it was from Firefly!  That's awesome.

As for the straw purchase, I'm not worried about in the least.  We live at the same address (and married, of course) and her record is as clean as mine.  
She has access to all my firearms anyway. Fortunately, she doesn't take inventory and is oblivious to any new ones.

Of course, the same can be said about me and her purses/handbags/shoes.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 09:47:29 PM »
So it was from Firefly!  That's awesome.

As for the straw purchase, I'm not worried about in the least.  We live at the same address (and married, of course) and her record is as clean as mine.  
She has access to all my firearms anyway. Fortunately, she doesn't take inventory and is oblivious to any new ones.

Of course, the same can be said about me and her purses/handbags/shoes.

A great fear of mine is that were I to pass before she does that she might sell them for what I told her I paid for them  =D*

I keep several copies of an inventory sheet with make, model and serial# in various locations.
2 copies have the approximate "retail" value at the date of printing, I update it from time to time, usually when I add a new gun to the inventory.

*actually, neither of us will spend that kind of money spend that kind of money on "toys" without at least mentioning it to the other.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2018, 11:12:10 PM »
I keep several copies of an inventory sheet with make, model and serial# in various locations.

I have such a thing on several USB devices in an Excel spreadsheet (except for the estimated values, which I admit is a good idea).  On those devices, including the one on my keychain, I keep photos of each one along with a picture of the serial number. The image description also has the serial number included. 

However, I keep them for identification in case of theft; my wife doesn't know about them.   I'll have to figure a plan to make that available to her (with approximate values) if something were to happen to me... but perhaps not before. 

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2018, 11:14:46 PM »
I keep a copy with estimated value in the safe, so far as I know she has never opened it on her own though I did get here to show the ability.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2018, 10:14:26 AM »
Yes and no. I've bought a gun for the , now ex, wife before. Even painted the stock a nice color for her and what not since her favorite color was red.

Ended up being my gun anyway as she liked it but her interest quickly waned.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 01:34:04 PM »
I'd probably shoot you if you bought me a Taurus...

And as far as gifts go, Dad and I went through this when he bought me the XDS for Christmas. I knew about it when he ordered it because A.) when he's excited about buying a gun, he can't keep his mouth shut and B.) he didn't know if I needed to go down, get a background check and pick it up.
Turns out you can buy someone a gun and just give it to them, but if you buy someone a gun and they go get it, even with a background check, it's a straw purchase somehow. Even our FFL, who had to explain it to Dad, couldn't make heads or tails about how this is logical, but that's the way it works.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 03:01:25 PM »
For a couple of years now, we have had the universal background check in Washington state.  I see that gifting or loaning a firearm between spouses does not require a background check.  https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.113

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.