Author Topic: Man sues Patrol detective Dan Nash and former Dallas County sheriff  (Read 856 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/ozarks/2018/08/17/brad-jennings-attorney-sues-patrol-detective-dallas-county-sheriff/1023056002/

It alleges that Nash and Rackley "fabricated evidence, suppressed evidence of Brad's innocence, lied to prosecutors and the courts to conceal their unconstitutional acts in order to have Brad Jennings wrongfully convicted of serious charges, despite their knowledge that he was innocent."

I read through this yesterday during Turkey recovery.  Man was released from prison after several years.  According to them, his wife committed suicide.  It was initially rules a suicide then officers began investigating this Bradley Jennings as a murderer.  One of the officers testified as a blood spatter expert that the wife couldn't have shot herself and convinced the jury to convict.  There is a good bit more to it than that. 

I am curious where the lawsuit will go.  It would be interesting if he was able to successful sue an expert witness for false testimony.  There is more to it than that so it may not fall on that issue. 
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Man sues Patrol detective Dan Nash and former Dallas County sheriff
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 06:34:56 PM »
Nice.

Jennings' conviction was set aside in February in large part because Nash did not reveal to prosecutors or defense attorneys key evidence that indicated it was unlikely Jennings fired a weapon the night his wife, Lisa, died of a gunshot to the head.

It was not until 2015 β€” seven years after Jennings' conviction β€” that defense attorneys discovered Nash had ordered a gunshot-residue test on the bathrobe Jennings wore that night and that the results were negative.

I hate it when cops (and often prosecutors, although not so in this case) are more interested in closing a case and getting a conviction than they are in justice.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 07:47:46 PM »
Nice.

I hate it when cops (and often prosecutors, although not so in this case) are more interested in closing a case and getting a conviction than they are in justice.

I'm  sure he would agree.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 11:26:03 AM »
I don't know for sure what happened in this particular case, but as a general rule, mistakes happen . . . and police and prosecutors ought not be punished for an honest mistake.

BUT! When a wrongful conviction comes about because of misconduct or malfeasance on the part of police or the prosecutor (such as with holding exculpatory evidence) then IMHO those responsible ought to go to prison for at least as long as the wrongfully convicted person did.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 10:46:53 PM »

BUT! When a wrongful conviction comes about because of misconduct or malfeasance on the part of police or the prosecutor (such as with holding exculpatory evidence) then IMHO those responsible ought to go to prison for at least as long as the wrongfully convicted person did.
[/quote]

No.  Execute them.  They swore to uphold the public trust.  In a very real sense, their offense is treason by way of betrayal.