Author Topic: Fast, cheap, easy. Guy food. Part 2......  (Read 6692 times)

DrAmazon

• friend
Fast, cheap, easy. Guy food. Part 2......
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2005, 05:41:52 AM »
Hungry Jack Casserole

1 lb ground beef, browned
1 onion-cook it with the beef
1 can beans (I've used anywhere from 16 oz to the huge can)
1 cup bbq sauce (bottled, or if you've got a from scratch even better)
2 tbs. brown sugar

Brown the beef and onions.  Stir in everything else until it's bubbly.  Pour into a casserole dish

Take a cylinder of refrigerator biscuts, cut them along their diameter (in half) and put the little half circles around the edge of the dish, making a ring.  Sprinkle on cheese and bake for about 30 mins-until the biscuits get toasty.

Great on the first night.  Even better as leftovers.  Serve cautiously, the bean mixture is like lava after the baking.  Burned my darned mouth more times than I can count.
Experiment with a chemist!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2005, 02:20:14 PM »
I thought I'd bring this one back from the dead.
These are some of my staples.

Burrito's, tacos, enchilads, oh my!
1lb meat, 1 packet burrito or taco mix.  Brown meat, follow instructions on taco mix
1 cup rice, cooked (dump in canned tomatos and chilis while cooking)
1 can diced tomatoes and chilis
1 small can of Frejoles Refritoes (pardon my bad spelling)
1 cup shredded cheese
Diced onions, green and red peppers, (sauteed if desired)

Mix burrito mix, rice, and refried beans in a medium saucepot.  Add shredded cheese and anything else you want in it (like sauteed onions).  Serve as desired in enchiladas, burritos, or tacos!

Crock pot chicken
In a large crock put thawed chicken thighs and drumsticks, several diced red potatoes, diced vidalia or sweet onion, several diced carrots, one small can diced chilis.  Cover with BBQ sauce, preferably something with some bite.  Two bottles usually does it, plus a little water to cover the ingredients.  Cook on low for about 5 hours, or high for about 2.  Also works in a dutch oven.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2005, 02:51:23 PM »
Bachelor Pico de Gallo (tex-mex style)
Everything is canned or dried and can be stored forever. And there are lots of "abouts" and "kinda's" to leave plenty of room for experimenting.

-1 large (or two small) cans Rotel toms & chilis - your choice of heat level, but mild seems to work best
-1 palm full of diced dried onion (about a heaping tablespoon)
-a big pinch of comino (about half a teaspoon)
-a big pinch of salt (same half teaspoon)
-a small pinch of pepper (quarter teaspoon)
-a three fingered pinch of cilantro (about a rounded teaspoon)
-two fingers of lime juice (about a quarter cup)

Put everything together in a closed container and let sit in the fridge overnight so the onions and cilantro will reconstitute. Enjoy with anything you would use picante sauce on.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2005, 10:34:54 AM »
A table is known by the condiments it keeps.  

A southern essential is pepper vinegar (aka pepper sauce, hot sauce etc) for use on greens, blackeye peas etc.  The simplest (and best) form of this I know of is used in one of my favorite restaurants.

Take a clean shaker top bottle (I use Pompeian Red Wine Vinegar bottles, I like red wine vinegar on tossed salads) and fill it 1/4 to 1/3 full of crushed red pepper.  Finish filling with apple cider vinegar, snap on the shaker top and screw on the cap.  Shake it up a bit and let it stand at room temperature for 2-3 days before using.  In eastern North Carolina, this makes a perfectly serviceable barbeque sauce as well.

When prepared in a clear glass bottle, there is no need to warn guests what is in the bottle.  The quantity of perfectly visible red pepper in the bottle and the malevolent color of the liquid contents make it quite obvious this is nothing to be trifled with by culinary amateurs.  You can refill the bottle with cider vinegar several times before it will need to be cleaned out and recharged with a fresh load of crushed red pepper.  Never let the bottle stand without enough vinegar in it to cover the pepper, unless you want to keep it in the refrigerator (heresy...).

Enjoy!

lpl/nc

LawDog

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2005, 02:32:31 PM »
Condiments for the table.

Pepper sauce.  Oh, God, yes.  Either crushed red pepper flakes or whole chilis.

Ranch dressing -- it ain't just for salads anymore!

Picante sauce/pico de gallo.

I haven't used ketchup in ages.

LawDog

grampster

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2005, 05:30:31 PM »
It's not bad enough that I didn't go downstairs and work out on the bowflex this evening.  Now I gotta read this and go into the kitchen and grab a jar of salsa, some
pepperjack cheese and a bag of Tostitos.  Aaaarrggghh.  I need a beer to wash it down.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2005, 01:52:14 AM »
I just remembered another one from the bachelor house days. Some of the other gys would make the Kraft Mac and Cheese, stir in a can of chili and call it "Chili Mac". I believe that one also required beer to wash it down. Never tried it myself, I figured the canned chili was gross enough.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Chris

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2005, 04:44:57 AM »
Here's an easy one:

Quick and easy meatballs.

1lb of ground beef
1lb of bulk italian sausages
1 egg
1 cup of breadcrumbs
1 small onion, chopped finely
3 cloves of garlic, minced
Italian seasonings

options:
red pepper flakes
1 or two hot peppers of your choice

In a large mixing bowl, mix the ground beef and sausage until well blended.  Use your hands.  Trust me, the texture of the meatballs is much better this way.  Add the egg, onion, garlic, and spices.  Mix some more.  Add the bread crumbs last.

Make balsl out of the mix.  Just like snowballs.  Try to keep them about 2 inches in diameter.  They cook better.  NOw, here comes the cooking options:

1.  Easy (no skills required).  Places 4-6 meatballs into a microwave safe dish.  A bowl works better, and keeps you from having to clean greas out of the microwave.  Cook 2 minutes, turn the balls.  Cook 2 minutes, turn the balls.  Cook 2 minutes, turn the balls.  Done.  If you like it well done, cook another 1 or 2 minutes.

2.  If skilled, brown all sides in a frying pan on the stove, reduce heat, and add a cup of red wine to the pan.  Cover the pan, and let them simmer in the wine for 5-10 minutes.  Remove the lid, and cook a minute or two more.  Done.  (Tip:  if the plan is to serve with pasta and sauce, or on a bun with sauce, dump a jar/can of sauce right into the pan, and let the wine and juices flavor the sauce.)

Serving options:  Of course, you can serve with pasta and sauce.  Or on a long bun, coverd in sauce and shredded cheese.  Recently, I tried a sandwich of several cold sliced meatballs on a bun with creamy horseradish sauce.  Very good.

Remember, when you make these, or anything else, adjust the ingrediants to your tastes.  Like more garlic?  Add more.  Like it hot, chop up a jalepeno or two and add to the mix.  You're eating it, so make it how you like it.

Smoke

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2005, 05:23:43 AM »
y'all cook to complicated for me.

When I'm batching with the kids they always want my specialty.....

Brown hamburger meat.  Dump in a can of ranch style beans.
Eat out of the pan with toast.

Smoke - simpler is better.

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2005, 12:22:43 PM »
Smoke-- what are "ranch style beans"?
Fig

Smoke

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2005, 04:32:41 PM »
It's a brand name.  Ranch Style Beans.  I forgot the caps.  Staple around here.  Pinto beans in a ranch style sauce.  They eat good right out of the can with a few slices of ready made bread too.

by the way.....I hate Triscuits.

Smoke

280plus

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2005, 02:33:07 AM »
by the way.....I hate Triscuits.
LOL...

Cheesy

LawDog

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2005, 10:57:21 AM »
1 leftover turkey
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can chicken a la king
1/2 can of water
shredded cheese
noodles.

Boil yourself a packet of noodles -- your choice.

Dump the canned stuff and water into a saucepan and heat.  While it is heating, pick the meat off of the turkey carcass and drop it into the saucepan with the canned stuff.

Once the canned stuff is heated (and the carcass is picked clean) dump the suacepan into a baking dish.  Dump the noodles in on top of the canned stuff and mix thoroughly.  Cover with shreddy cheese and bung into a 350 degree oven until the cheese is all gooey and there are bubbles coming up from the noodle stuff.

Serve!

LawDog

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2005, 11:41:05 AM »
Y'all keep this up and I'm gonna have to go buy some pots, pans, 'n stuff.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2005, 01:21:56 PM »
In adendum to my previous post:

Add a chopped up onion, bell pepper, and red bell pepper to the mix.  MMMMMMMM
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2005, 03:39:17 AM »
Speaking of leftover turkey...

Take a good amout of shredded leftover turkey and brown it and some chopped onion in a little butter. Salt and pepper to taste. Then add about a cup of cooking sherry, maybe  a teaspoon of thyme and a small container of sour cream. Simmer for a while. Spoon over cooked egg noodles or any other pasta and you now have Turkey Stroganoff!

Yummy!

Chris

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2005, 05:56:23 AM »
Here's a new one I served at the neighborhood Christmas party and was the easiest "fancy" food I've made in a long time.

Fettucini Alfredo

1 lb. Fettucini
1 stick butter
1 cup cream
2 cups grated parmesan cheese (yes, you can use the stuff in the green can)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small shallot, chopped
salt and pepper

boil water.  Put in the pasta, and cook according to directions.  Meanwhile, in a large skillet (non-stick if available) melt the stick of butter.  When melter, add the garlic and shallot to the butter, sprinkle some salt and pepper, and cook for 2-3 minutes.  Add the cream and stir until well mixed.  Heat to boiling, and boil for a minute or two.  Then slowly add 1-1.5 cups of cheese, a bit at a time, until it is all melted and wll mixed.  By this point, the pasta should be done.  Drain well, then add to the skillet, tossing until well mixed.  Top with the remaining cheese.  If you really want to get fancy, sprinkle some parley on top.

For variations, you can also top with sauteed mushrooms, grilled chicken, grilled shrimp, etc.

Trust me guys, this will impress a lady and is very easy.

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2005, 02:07:44 PM »
This is a staple in my house..Even my 6yr old daughter asks for it...

1lb.ground beef/venison/sausage
 1 med. onion chopped
 1 small container(12-16oz.)french onion dip
 1can cream of mushroom soup
 1lb bag of wide egg noodles
 1 stick butter/margerine

Brown meat&onion in frypan(castirons the best)
 Boil water and  cook noodles in large pot
 Add cream of mush.and french oniondip to meat, let simmer for a few minits
 Drain noodles, add 1 stick butter or margerine
 Pour meat/sauce over noodles.
 Season with ground black pepper or youre favoite spices...

Serve with bread and butter and a large glass of milk..

ChopperKen

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2005, 11:11:42 AM »
Well, I have to cook properly now, being married again and such. When single I had some easy ones.

Everyone needs some bags of Lipton Noodles and Sauce, particularly the Alfredo or butter ones.

One bag of aforementioned, cook as per instructions. (Boil for 5 minutes with a little butter)
Add 1/2 box frozen peas as soon as you add the noodles. When nearly done, add one normal sized can of tuna. Stir until everything is hot, add cheese of your choice if desired. Grab saucepan, fork, and beer, proceed to eat.

Another Noodle and Sauce one. Cook the noodles and stir in one can of canned beef such as Hormel beef tips in sauce. 5 minute beef stroganoff.

Another one dish wonder.  Microwave two small baking potatos until nearly cooked. Split them in half, add a little butter and cover with grated cheddar. Toss two healthy sections of polish sausage on the plate. Microwave another two minutes. Grab fork, mustard for the sausage, and beer. Eat.

I've got more, most involve fire and of course beer. Guinnness widget bottles preferred. Look up a recipe for beerbutt chicken, it involves fire and beer in the cooking even and tastes like the best chicken you have ever had. I just can't recite the spice rub from memory.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2005, 11:39:52 AM »
Polish Sausage
onions
bell peppers
dry mustard
turmeric
cumin

Put a little olive oil in a skillet. Saute the onions for a little while, then add some mustard, some cumin, and some turmeric. As much as you feel like adding. Add the sausage, sliced, and keep cooking. After a while get bored and add some more mustard or maybe some paprika. Hell, add whatever you want; you can't mess this up. When the onions are good and soft just pour the whole thing over rice, or serve it on a bun with some mozzarella melted over the top.
D. R. ZINN

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2006, 09:26:36 AM »
Okay, time to resurrect this thread:

Quasi Reuben

Ingredients

Two slices of rye bread
Three slices of balony
1/4 cup sauerkraut
Three/four tablespoons of sauce (made by combining equal parts mayonnasie, ketchup, and pickle relish)
One slice of Swiss cheese

Cooking

Whip out the 'ole fry pan and toss 'er on the stove. Melt some butter in the pan over low/medium low heat. Flip a slice of the rye bread into the pan. Arrange the balony on the bread; cover balony with the sauerkraut. Pour the sauce over the sauerkraut; place the slice of Swiss cheese on the mound that you're building, and top with the last slice of rye bread. Fry four to six minutes per side, or until desired browning takes place. Be sure to flip occasionally.  

Toss out of pan onto plate; slice and enjoy!

I just made this last night and had to share it. It is reeaallly good. And I like using baloney instead of corned beef.
Andy

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2006, 07:48:49 AM »
Fake goulash:

Pasta. Elbow or the multi-colored kind that looks like a screw both work well, but use what you've got.
Tom. juice. Can be used sparingly to flavor pasta, or unabashedly for more of a thick soup.
Salt to taste.

Boil pasta, drain but don't rinse. Add cold t. juice, enjoy.

My family also likes to brown some hamburger meat w/ taco seasoning and add that.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2006, 12:10:36 PM »
Smushes

'Nilla wafers,
Peanut Butter
Mini sized marshmellows

Dab peanut butter onto vanilla wafer, stick a mini marshmello into peanut butter, "smush" the other wafer onto this mix.

Smushes +

Repeat above, add  any kind of chocolate in anyway , shape , from  or fashion...

Either recipe is great if warm chocolate syrup is used for dipping  Tongue

Barbara therefore is making  Umm-Pop!

That name comes from the sound of sticking finger in chocolate syrup, and removing finger from mouth.

Double Dipping encouraged - discourages folks from asking if they can have some...

Iain

• friend
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2006, 02:17:16 PM »
Spanish omelette.

If I had to cook my last meal for myself, I'd probably make that. If someone else is cooking...
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also