Author Topic: Car value question  (Read 10463 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Car value question
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 07:05:38 PM »
I'd replace the cat last. If you can get into it, shatter the guts with a screwdriver and pour it out. Yes, it will throw a code, but It will work and allow you to diagnose any other problems without destroying your new cat.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 07:33:46 PM »
i use rebar to punch through a clogged cat
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 08:16:19 PM »
IF it's a failed cat don't just replace it and motor down the road.  Cats fail for a reason, usually an over-rich condition that overheats them and melts the ceramic.  If it truly is a failed cat that's a symtom of something else.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 08:35:24 PM »
Most simple things first. The code for the Cat is generated by your O2 sensor, I had a cat code for 50K miles with no issues. Eliminate the fuel filter as a possibility first, then move to the fuel pump, then the cat. Anything other that was major wrong with the engine would have popped a code.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 09:02:52 PM »
French is right, simple things first.  Failed cats are relatively rare.  There are a lot of other more common things that could easily be causing your problem.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2012, 10:12:24 PM »
I've gutted a cat before.
Problem is getting to it, it is part of the front manifold.
Also I had said earlier there is a reason for the demise of the cat to start with. She drove this thing with 2 dead coils for a long time.
Practically had gas coming out the pipe. I think they might finally have had it.

I'm going to try to get a vacuum gage a try to measure the pressure.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2012, 11:27:54 PM »
Just looked up your model (both in Mazda and Ford variants).  Looks like some brilliant engineer decided it would be better if the cats and exhaust manifolds were a one piece assembly.  Oh.  Friggin.  Joy.

Best price I can find is RockAuto.  $389 for the front bank, $393 for the rear.  Sure hope for your sake that it's something else.

Brad
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2012, 10:57:37 AM »
Just looked up your model (both in Mazda and Ford variants).  Looks like some brilliant engineer decided it would be better if the cats and exhaust manifolds were a one piece assembly.  Oh.  Friggin.  Joy.

Another Better Idea from Ford  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2012, 11:20:41 AM »
Eww what a mess of a design.

I wonder if a competent shop could use a generic cat and cut/weld to the existing manifold?  Exhaust work... isn't exactly percision.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2012, 12:37:57 PM »
Another Better Idea from Ford  ;/

It actually is better.  It's more efficient, lasts longer and develops fewer leaks.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2012, 01:44:55 PM »
It actually is better.  It's more efficient, lasts longer and develops fewer leaks.

Until you have to replace one or both, at $800 parts to start with plus pull the engine which means you might as well drop in a new or rebuilt motor/tranny in while you're at it ...

which leads us back to the original post. :(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2012, 02:51:57 PM »
Pardon the thread drift, I've had my fill of curmudgeonous this week.

Nope, no engine pulling. You have to pull an alternator, and move the AC compressor to one side, and then both manifolds come right off that engine.  It's a $400 manifold because it's a tubular header and cat in one piece.  They built it that way because customers demand ever increasing power and fuel economy in smaller packaging so they need an exhaust system that is relevantly free flowing and compact.  Because modern cats routinely last 150,000 or so miles the whole header is designed and built to last that long.  It's in one piece because if it wasn't it either wouldn't fit, or the added flange or ball and socket joint would add turns (lowering the efficiency) or leak over the service life (wouldn't pass emissions).

I apologize if I sound cranky, but cars don't have points ignitions and cast iron manifolds anymore.  And that's a good thing, it makes them lighter, faster, more powerful, more fuel efficient and longer lasting.  And big surprise, better technology costs more.  It's not some conspiracy by car company's to make you pay more for parts, or only hire lazy engineers. The only conspiracy is that of shade-tree mechanics that don't want to learn new techniques for working on cars.

[/rant]

All that said, it's probably not the cat.  It's actually pretty hard to kill those things, and if it were so clogged that it was killing your power that much, the manifolds would have been cherry red, and the engine would probably have overheated due to exhaust heat staying in the heads.  Pull the plugs and post pictures to see if it's running rich or lean.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2012, 04:07:02 PM »
Nope, no engine pulling. You have to pull an alternator, and move the AC compressor to one side, and then both manifolds come right off that engine.

Well, then I guess you could change the back spark plugs while you're in there  :P

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2012, 04:19:33 PM »
Yep.  You gotta pop the upper intake. 8 bolts and 15 min.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2012, 09:33:18 PM »
I pop all the plugs on the front to check the compression. They were all even and  nice colored. They are at a .065 gap so well worn, I have a set of platinums here for the car I'll put them in at the same time.
I'm going to try the disassembly tomorrow.
I called a couple of shops they all are charging 3 hours of labor and between 700-1000 for the cat. No thanks I will at least try this my self to start. I have no problem paying for 3 hours of labor but not 2-3 times the price for the part.
I can get the cat for just under 400 bucks locally and I still have a NAPA to stop by and chat with. If I go in and a certain employee is there I get the shop rates on parts.

If this thing is that farged up I probably won't be able to blow through it once its off.

Its not like I don't have the tools but sometimes when I can't see the part I get a bit intimidated.

I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
A few months-mods

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2012, 09:36:21 PM »
I'd spend $35 on a fuel pressure test guage first.  Make absolutely sure that's not the prob before throwing a bunch of time at disassembly.

Brad
-HankB

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2012, 03:14:20 PM »
Well after spending and hour removing the intake to get to the fuel rail to check the pressure, it looks like for decided to omit the test port. bastards.
I pulled the o2 sensor that is just down stream of that cat and the car runs fine, put it back in and runs like crap.

I think either the down stream cat or muffler is the cause of the problem now.
Time for a quick lunch and I'm getting the blue tipped wrench out and removing some exhaust parts.
A few months-mods

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2012, 03:37:56 PM »
Time for a quick lunch and I'm getting the blue tipped wrench out and removing some exhaust parts.

Mmm, exhaust; the easy way.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2012, 04:29:05 PM »
Well after spending and hour removing the intake to get to the fuel rail to check the pressure, it looks like for decided to omit the test port. bastards.
I pulled the o2 sensor that is just down stream of that cat and the car runs fine, put it back in and runs like crap.

I think either the down stream cat or muffler is the cause of the problem now.

So you need a new O2 sensor. . .
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2012, 04:53:40 PM »
So you need a new O2 sensor. . .

No the o2 sensor was still plugged in I just removed it from the hole. Once removed the exhaust had somewhere to go.

I just tore everything out from the y pipe back, the rear cat is shot. Can't even blow air through it with the air gun.
I'm going to replace everything else since its all pretty rusted out. The whole exhaust is cheap and that cat is about 200 bucks.
A few months-mods

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2012, 04:56:55 PM »
No the o2 sensor was still plugged in I just removed it from the hole. Once removed the exhaust had somewhere to go.

I just tore everything out from the y pipe back, the rear cat is shot. Can't even blow air through it with the air gun.
I'm going to replace everything else since its all pretty rusted out. The whole exhaust is cheap and that cat is about 200 bucks.

Awesome.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »
If you removed the downstream sensor, that's AFTER the cat.  That tells me your muffler has collapsed internally or there is a huge pinch in the exgaust somewhere. If it was the cat it would still run like crap because it would still be stopped up.

Brad
-HankB

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2012, 08:01:33 PM »
If you removed the downstream sensor, that's AFTER the cat.  That tells me your muffler has collapsed internally or there is a huge pinch in the exgaust somewhere. If it was the cat it would still run like crap because it would still be stopped up.

Brad
You missed that a bit. There are 3 cats, one on each manifold and one back on the pipe. The o2 sensor was after one of the manifold cats. That was the one that I thought might be bad.
A few months-mods

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2012, 08:38:36 AM »
Oh, okay.  Well, that means that the pre-sensor cat is likely okay.  If it was the pre-sensor (manifold) cat then you should have seen no change when you opened up the sensor bung located between it an the post sensor cat.

I take it to mean that there is a single cat in the exhaust somewhere after the y-pipe.  That should mean there is a single connector at the y-pipe/cat junction.  Two bolts to drop it.  If you don't have ramps you can do it the redneck way by driving both wheels on one side up onto the curb.  That should give you enough room to wiggle under and drop that connection.

(*edit to add*
Just looked it up and it is indeed a single connection after the y-pipe.  See diagram below.)

If it's the rear converter then you just caught a HUGE break.  Rock auto shows two undercar direct-fit units available - Walker ($188) and Eastern ($149).  I looked under the Ford Escape parts list.  The same Walker part number, 53389, is also listed under the Maza Tribute parts list.  The Eastern part number, 30411, isn't list under Mazda, but if the Walker part works so should the eastern as both are direct-fit replacements for the same application.

*edit to add*
Found this vehicle-specific parts breakout over on RockAuto.
(Walker part numbers)

I'd still be careful and check the muffler and resonator.  It's still somewhat more likely for one of them to have collapsed internally than it is for the cat to have failed to the point of being clogged.

Brad
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:43:44 AM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB