Author Topic: The Hunt for the Death Valley Germans  (Read 8817 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
The Hunt for the Death Valley Germans
« on: May 30, 2013, 10:34:48 PM »
Some of you folks may remember a while back a German family disappeared into Death Valley.

A friend of mine sent me a link to a blog by one of the volunteer SAR guys who helped solve the mystery of the empty van and missing family.

It is a long read but I found it captivating.

http://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans/

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: The Hunt for the Death Valley Germans
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 12:02:45 AM »
Stupid people doing dumb stuff was the cause of every SAR mission I have gone on. People are amazingly stupid when it comes to going out into the wilderness. Start a 12 mile hike an our before darkness with no water, equipment, or flashlights? Sure why not! Go hiking in the middle of a violent tstorm? Yeah sounds fun!

And that was in a place that is much more hospitable to life than the desert. I can only imagine the stupid human tricks that people pull in places like death valley and the Grand Canyon.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 12:34:47 AM »
Yes. Death by dumbness...

Although I think part of it is that some Europeans just don't "get" how large countries like America, Canada, Russia are. Can't swing a bratwurst without hitting another country over there.

Most of our states west of the Mississippi are larger than any one European nation. Without checking, I'm pretty sure we have parks bigger than some of those countries. And those Western states, they're big and square, with very low population density.  And all that population density brings with it, like roads, towns, services...  Water.
I promise not to duck.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 12:55:14 AM »
Wow! What a read.

It's also enlightening that it took ten+ years for someone to figure out that the best place to look for what you haven't found is where you haven't already searched. Sheesh.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 01:18:39 AM »

Although I think part of it is that some Europeans just don't "get" how large countries like America, Canada, Russia are.

Or how large our military bases are.

I'm assuming you weren't crazy enough to read all of those pages. Turns out, our intrepid hero picked up the Krauts' trail by guessing that they headed to China Lake. Being Germans, they presumably presumed a military base would be surrounded by a fence, and patrols. This was not so...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 01:39:07 AM »
Or how large our military bases are.

No joke. The China Lake base is the size of Rhode Island. Just a bit difficult to maintain a 24/7 patrol on something that big...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 07:00:54 AM »
I do feel a bit sorry for them. It seems they made some bad choices based on experiences that are completely valid and reasonable in Europe, but that do not necessarily apply in the more rugged parts of the US. I mean, here, military base = fences & patrols = help to be found. Logical to go in that direction, right? Nothing was done by wilful stupidity, like the guy mentioned on the forum a while ago who was going to survive in the bush by eating berries...in the middle of the winter.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:04:15 AM by Viking »
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 08:05:43 AM »
You would think with the huge vastness and inhospitable nature of the place it would be named so as to warn the unknowing.

If it went down as he reconstructed they made some bad assumptions about what a road really is out there. Not unlike that family that tried to take a shortcut through the mountains on a fire road and got caught in a snowstorm in Utah(?) a couple years back.

Like Viking I feel a lot of empathy myself. Mostly because they had small children with them.

They chose one of the worse places on the planet to get lost.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 09:12:16 AM »
If it went down as he reconstructed they made some bad assumptions about what a road really is out there. Not unlike that family that tried to take a shortcut through the mountains on a fire road and got caught in a snowstorm in Utah(?) a couple years back.

Part of the problem could have been whatever they had for maps. I have seen (in fact, I have) maps that show "roads" that I know are impassable for normal, passenger automobiles. The maps don't in any way warn about that. A good many years ago, when working at my first office job for a small company in New Haven, Connecticut, I was assigned to deliver some papers to the home of a client who lived in one of the New Haven suburbs. The boss looked up the address, pulled out a map, and gave me a route. Yes, the route led straight to the guy's house. What the map didn't show was that a five-mile stretch of the road on which the guy lived had been abandoned by the town years prior and was completely unmaintained. I actually made it through, but in the process I ripped off the brand-new exhaust system I had just installed on my pony car.

I found out after the fact that the road in question was a haven for local kids to test their off-road modified Jeeps.

I've encountered the same thing all across the country. Apparently technology hasn't helped. It's not uncommon to read stories about people who follow GPS instructions and drive right into lakes and rivers.

The author of the story alluded to a factor that many of you may not be old enough to remember: the "roadless wilderness" initiative of the Clinton administration. I ranted against it at the time, but for other reasons. During the Clinton days, the enviroweenies played a game of "creating" large tracts of national park and national forest land that were off limits to vehicular traffic because they were "roadless." The problem was, there were roads in there. Some of the roads had been there for a hundred to two hundred years. The administration solved that by simply printing new maps that didn't show the roads, but they were there. My problem with this was that the sudden cessation of road maintenance made for worse environmental damage than would have resulted from keeping the roads (and drainage) maintained. A side effect obviously was that if you had an old map that showed a road, the road could easily have become impassable due to lack of maintenance. That seems to have been part of the equation for the unfortunate Germans.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 09:17:41 AM »

Although I think part of it is that some Europeans just don't "get" how large countries like America, Canada, Russia are. Can't swing a bratwurst without hitting another country over there.

The size perception is spot on. Every relative I've ever had visit, even though they "know" America is big, don't perceive the vastness until they get here and start driving. Even when they've been told by previous visitors, they don't get it until they get here and experience it. I don't think I've had a single relative who didn't think they could do Sequoia, Yosemite, and San Francisco all in one day, until they start driving and two hours into it, "are we there yet?". After all, they're all in just one state.

It's much easier for us to go to continental Europe, where we can equate countries to our states. Going big to small, your only surprise is, "Oh hey, we're here already!".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 09:32:03 AM »
I guess I had that burned into my brain at a young age.  We lived in Houston and went to visit grandparents each summer in Tucson.  It takes pretty much an entire day just to get to El Paso and the Western border of Texas.  My Dad and I found later that it goes easier to just leave at 8 PM at night and drive through the night.  It isn't as hot and you can sleep when not driving.  Even as overpopulated as we seem to be sometimes, there are still a lot of wide open spaces out there. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 09:44:16 AM »
hitch hiked cross texas in the 70's  i was pretty sure i was gonna die.  my bones be bleached by the sun. took me 3 days
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 09:56:26 AM »
I guess I had that burned into my brain at a young age.  We lived in Houston and went to visit grandparents each summer in Tucson.  It takes pretty much an entire day just to get to El Paso and the Western border of Texas.  My Dad and I found later that it goes easier to just leave at 8 PM at night and drive through the night.  It isn't as hot and you can sleep when not driving.  Even as overpopulated as we seem to be sometimes, there are still a lot of wide open spaces out there. 

We did that stretch in 18 hours (Houston to Tus) the first summer we lived here. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 11:12:57 AM »
We did that stretch in 18 hours (Houston to Tus) the first summer we lived here. 

Back in the 1960s the roads were a lot narrower and slower than today, and very few cars had a/c.

We moved from Austin to Phoenix in 1961 in a 1959 6 cylinder Belair pulling a You-Haul trailer.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 01:40:52 PM »
That was fascinating and depressing.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 02:33:14 PM »
That was fascinating and depressing.

Agreed.  I just finished reading it.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 02:37:29 PM »
AJ and Ben nailed it together IMO - tourists from Europe sure as hell know that the US or Canada is big. But most of them don't actually get it. It takes time to take something like that in - the place you're from will color your perceptions. Take for example someone from the Netherlands. Tiny country. Like someone said, probably national parks that are bigger. But to a Dutchman, a country is something that you can pass through in a couple of hours. This has been true throughout their lives - hop in the car, and a relatively short drive in either direction of your choice will get you to another country.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 03:23:33 PM »
You see it in the US too.  Folks form the NE think a drive of 3 hours is a big deal.  I'm from TX, a 3 hr drive won't get me from DFW area to Houston.  I've run into it in MI.  15 min drive time form where I am to Troy.  Friend out there thought it might be too tough for me to drive that far 'just to have lunch'.   

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 03:57:57 PM »

Regarding relative sizes of countries, I recently (months ago) saw one of those superimposed maps that shows Australia laid over the US.

Something like this:  

Similar map showing Australia on Europe:  

I reckon that, for people who think of Australia as an "island" (which it is -- The Island Continent), it would be easy to misunderestimate the hazards of hiking into the Outback.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 04:40:12 PM »
Those maps are cool. Did you ever see the one with most of the world superimposed over Africa?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 06:56:33 PM »
Well, that took up an afternoon ...  ;/

Interesting comments about the Inyo Sheriff dept.  I'm not sure you would find it much different anywhere.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 09:22:58 PM »
I didn't have time to read it, did they ever find the bodies?  If not check in the bottom of the death valley hot springs.  We had some people take a dip in the Black Rock desert hot springs.  They died, them waters give off some nasty gases.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 09:41:38 PM »
Interesting story. Sounds like a bitch of a country to do much walking in. 

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2013, 09:50:44 PM »
Back in the 1960s the roads were a lot narrower and slower than today, and very few cars had a/c.

We moved from Austin to Phoenix in 1961 in a 1959 6 cylinder Belair pulling a You-Haul trailer.

I bet that drive sucked even more back then. 
Houston to Tucson barely covers three states and it takes damn near a full day of driving.  I think it's about 1/4 of the mileage of a coast to coast trip. 
I agree that I just don't think most Europeans get that kind of vastness off hand.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2013, 09:53:35 PM »
I didn't have time to read it, did they ever find the bodies?  If not check in the bottom of the death valley hot springs.  We had some people take a dip in the Black Rock desert hot springs.  They died, them waters give off some nasty gases.

Found some bones and the id and credit cards of the lady.

DNA established to be of the gentleman. 

Other bones said to be of an adult female but no DNA recoverable.

No remains of the children established.

Apparently they tried to walk cross country to what they thought was an occupied military base.