Author Topic: "The Ocean is Broken"  (Read 7669 times)

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
"The Ocean is Broken"
« on: October 23, 2013, 11:26:28 AM »
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1848433/the-ocean-is-broken/?cs=2452

No wonder the sea was dead. No wonder his baited lines caught nothing. There was nothing to catch.

Ivan's brother, Glenn, who boarded at Hawaii for the run into the United States, marvelled at the "thousands on thousands" of yellow plastic buoys. The huge tangles of synthetic rope, fishing lines and nets. Pieces of polystyrene foam by the million. And slicks of oil and petrol, everywhere.

Countless hundreds of wooden power poles are out there, snapped off by the killer wave and still trailing their wires in the middle of the sea.

The fish problem doesn't bother me as much. With proper management (by whom I don't know) I have no doubt fish stocks could be resurrected in a decade or so.

The garbage problem is an engineering problem that needs an American solution, I think.

What does the APS hive say?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: "The Ocean is Broken"
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 11:29:29 AM »

The fish problem doesn't bother me as much. With proper management (by whom I don't know) I have no doubt fish stocks could be resurrected in a decade or so.

The garbage problem is an engineering problem that needs an American solution, I think.

What does the APS hive say?

Welfare to work.  Send out trash collection vessels staffed with welfare kings and queens.  Other welfare kings and queens placed on child care duty. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 11:38:15 AM »
The raw volume in metric tons of debris out there is beyond comprehension.

It cannot be solved by surface vessels doing garbage collection.  At least, not before the next tsunami rolls in somewhere else and does the same thing.  The Fukushima debris is only a fraction of what's out there.  There's a giant floating garbage dump in the Pacific, and the Fukushima stuff will merge with it as it all decomposes.

Eventually, all this material will sink to the bottom of the ocean and decompose.  It's buoyant right now, but it won't remain buoyant forever.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 12:00:54 PM »

Eventually, all this material will sink to the bottom of the ocean and decompose.  It's buoyant right now, but it won't remain buoyant forever.

I think you are right to a degree. But there is also the fact that there is a constant stream of the chemicals and garbage being dumped. So while one big wave of it will eventually dissipate, there is a stream of it coming in to replace what is being broken down.

The question is, does it get broken down fast enough to keep up?
And if not, what can we possibly do about it while balancing humanity's needs as well.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 12:09:49 PM »
There's a large amount of plastics (up to 90%) and fishnets in these things that don't break down very fast, and further, entrap stuff that might otherwise sink while decomposing. So they can actually grow quite a bit versus shrinking over time. I'm actually slated to go to Midway for a few weeks this Summer to drone map some of them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 12:28:31 PM »
There's a large amount of plastics (up to 90%) and fishnets in these things that don't break down very fast, and further, entrap stuff that might otherwise sink while decomposing. So they can actually grow quite a bit versus shrinking over time. I'm actually slated to go to Midway for a few weeks this Summer to drone map some of them.

Prepping the floating FEMA camps are we?  [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil]
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 12:30:44 PM »
Prepping the floating FEMA camps are we?  [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil]

That's what they think they're getting me to do, but being fifth column and all, I'm actually gathering intel on where to put all the progressives and hippies.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 01:02:42 PM »
That's what they think they're getting me to do, but being fifth column and all, I'm actually gathering intel on where to put all the progressives and hippies.

The deepest part?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 04:58:15 PM »

We created bacteria to eat spilled oil.  We ought to be able to create bacteria to eat nylon and other plastics, that when starved for, say 72 hours, start to die off.  (If the stuff lives forever it would just be a scifi movie come to life.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 05:26:31 PM »
Are those the same nylon and plastics that rot in a few months out in the sun?   =|

If not, I wish they would start making tents and car seats etc out of the stuff floating around the ocean that lasts forever.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 05:34:31 PM »
Are those the same nylon and plastics that rot in a few months out in the sun?   =|

Not all the garbage in the ocean is American. Not everyone uses biodegradable formulas.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 05:38:05 PM »
Not all the garbage in the ocean is American. Not everyone uses biodegradable formulas.

Okay - well, it would sure be nice to have some of that furrin' non-biodegradable for stuff like tents and snowmobile seats, etc  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 05:52:34 PM »

How much is potentially recoverable metals?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 05:55:27 PM »
How much is potentially recoverable metals?

Funny thing about metal on water... unless shaped very specially, it tends to fall. ;)

I'm amazed that power poles are floating, actually.  I'd expect a year or two to rot, plus the amount of steel or copper transmission line attached to them, would cause them to sink pretty quickly.  I'd think submarines might have trouble with them before shipping traffic would be affected.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 06:01:58 PM »
Okay - well, it would sure be nice to have some of that furrin' non-biodegradable for stuff like tents and snowmobile seats, etc  :lol:

Can't disagree with that. I always used to reuse plastic milk and juice jugs and plastic bags from the store for other stuff. I can still do it a little bit now, but they don't last nearly as long as the old formulations did, so I'm throwing them out that much sooner.

It's all part of, IMO, the whole environmental movement only caring about one of the three R's in "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle". Recycling is showy and something you can talk about at wine and cheese get togethers that you drove to in your Prius after driving to the recycling center to show how much crap you're getting rid of. Keeping cars longer and reusing old containers doesn't let anyone recognize you as being environmentally aware.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 06:14:46 PM »
The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is indeed impressive in size. 

It's fair to assume that the typhoon debris from Japan will find its way into that collection at some point in the future.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 10:10:12 PM »
The Ocean is Broken

A sea clamp will fix it.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 10:37:13 PM »
What about sea bond?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 11:10:34 PM »
How about a $1 per shipping container surtax. We use it to pay for big trawlers that can drag it all to the coast of Somalia, and we can reef in the pirates with it.
I promise not to duck.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 11:20:25 PM »
How about a $1 per shipping container surtax. We use it [to implement collectivist idea here].

...And the coercion and collectivism rears its head.

Taxes, regardless of legitimacy of the taxing authority, are illegitimate when they are coming from a group that is impotent to resolve the justification of the tax.  It's like taxing power over globular warming.  Or taxing cigarettes over unhealthy side effects.

And $1 per container wouldn't raise what it would take to resolve this.  $1000 per container wouldn't do it.
--Lysander Spooner

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 02:26:18 AM »

It cannot be solved by surface vessels doing garbage collection.  At least, not before the next tsunami rolls in somewhere else and does the same thing.  The Fukushima debris is only a fraction of what's out there.  There's a giant floating garbage dump in the Pacific, and the Fukushima stuff will merge with it as it all decomposes.

This. 
It's been rolling around out there for so long that the plastic has eroded down into tiny, tiny bits. 

Unless a way to filter out tiny plastic particles while not filtering out the good ocean-y particles exists  it'll eventually be too far gone.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 11:28:47 AM »
...And the coercion and collectivism rears its head.

Taxes, regardless of legitimacy of the taxing authority, are illegitimate when they are coming from a group that is impotent to resolve the justification of the tax.  It's like taxing power over globular warming.  Or taxing cigarettes over unhealthy side effects.

And $1 per container wouldn't raise what it would take to resolve this.  $1000 per container wouldn't do it.

prices are high enough that i'm surprised that no one has created a scrapping ship that uses a conveyer to lift garbage out of the ocean directly into a crusher.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 11:55:52 AM »
prices are high enough that i'm surprised that no one has created a scrapping ship that uses a conveyer to lift garbage out of the ocean directly into a crusher.

Ya think the Alliance would frown on "unauthorized salvage" ...?   =|

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 01:00:51 PM »
Where would they put it after it is crushed?  Sink it to the bottom?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 01:01:55 PM »
Where would they put it after it is crushed?  Sink it to the bottom?

Send it to Lagos or other places trying to extend the habitable land area of their settlements?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.