Author Topic: "The Ocean is Broken"  (Read 7670 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: "The Ocean is Broken"
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 01:12:42 PM »
prices are high enough that i'm surprised that no one has created a scrapping ship that uses a conveyer to lift garbage out of the ocean directly into a crusher.

A ship like that would need to completely offload its payload of garbage multiple times a day.

So, it either needs to come to port (several days voyage) or have an elaborate loose waste transfer system to migrate its contents to another ship.  Or more likely a fleet of ships, that ferry the waste back somewhere.

Then when those ferries arrive in port, you'll need customized equipment to remove the loose waste from its holds and divide it up for ground transport to take it to a landfill.  

Then you need a landfill that is willing to take the entire Pacific Ocean's flotsam pile.  Or, you need multiple port facilities willing to take portions of it at each location.

After all that, all you are doing is taking decomposing waste out of the water (where it will eventually settle to the bottom of the ocean and be buried by mud, coral or magma flows) and putting it into the land (where it will be buried by dirt, trees, golf courses or urban renewal projects).

How many ships like that do you think it would take to even draw even with the rate of waste deposited into the Pacific Ocean?  That waste isn't coming from the US and Japan (with the rare exception of Fukushima-type events).  It's coming every day from Thailand, Malaysia, India, Indonesia and their neighbors.

Studied by the pros, they determine it can't be stopped unless you tackle the 3rd world waste that generates it faster than we can clean it up.

http://www.boyanslat.com/plastic/

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 02:25:23 PM »

Studied by the pros, they determine it can't be stopped unless you tackle the 3rd world waste that generates it faster than we can clean it up.

http://www.boyanslat.com/plastic/

Much like the toxic waste plot device in the movie "Sahara" - the 2008 one, not the 1943 masterpice with Humphrey Bogart?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2013, 02:32:59 PM »
If there's that big of a garbage collection out in the middle of the Pacific (The Garbago Sea), then there ought to be some good stuff to "high grade."   =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2013, 03:24:35 PM »
Are you some of the same people that hate the EPA? Did aliens invade and take over people's minds?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
So, it either needs to come to port (several days voyage) or have an elaborate loose waste transfer system to migrate its contents to another ship.  Or more likely a fleet of ships, that ferry the waste back somewhere.

Well, it would give Taiwan something to do with that ship they were parading around back during the Deepwater Horizon mess.  Should be perfect for scooping up bits of floaty stuff in the ocean.

Really, anything that's flammable, dry it and burn it, using the heat to dry the next load.  That should clear up a lot of volume, and the air pollution can't be much worse than what's happening in a lot of places these days.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2013, 04:12:23 PM »
Are you some of the same people that hate the EPA? Did aliens invade and take over people's minds?

Only if you take silly and illogical position that opposing the EPA's insane and impractical regulations is the same as not wanting any environmental controls at all.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2013, 04:48:01 PM »
My idea.

Send out some sort of massive floating facility that can collect, melt/process/condense and either turn it into something marketable or sinkable.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2013, 05:01:10 PM »
Build houses on it and turn it into Anarchotopia.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2013, 05:22:45 PM »
Build houses on it and turn it into Anarchotopia.

Now that would be cool... start forming plastic filament from the detritus, then have a large format 3d printer print buoys and pontoons and interconnecting shafts, start building floating platforms from it.

If there was some sort of biological process using algae or bacteria to convert some of the plastics to a burnable hydrocarbon fuel, that would be cool.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2013, 10:08:07 PM »
Really, anything that's flammable, dry it and burn it, using the heat to dry the next load.  That should clear up a lot of volume, and the air pollution can't be much worse than what's happening in a lot of places these days.

BURN THE FLOPPIES !!!!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2013, 06:41:36 AM »
That's what they think they're getting me to do, but being fifth column and all, I'm actually gathering intel on where to put all the progressives and hippies.

So, you're saying you are part of a government plot to finally kill off the oceans with stinky hippy and progressive pollution.  Nice going, Ben.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2013, 08:40:21 AM »
So, you're saying you are part of a government plot to finally kill off the oceans with stinky hippy and progressive pollution.  Nice going, Ben.

I live to serve sir. I live to serve.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2013, 11:31:14 AM »
BURN THE FLOPPIES !!!!!

I do have to say I'm impressed by the flammability of some types of plastics.  If you're bored and feeling a bit pyro-oriented, go find yourself a Fender brand guitar pick, one of the ones where the plastic of the pick consists of several different colors combined.  Light that on fire.   >:D

And just to warm the cockles...

http://s124.photobucket.com/user/azredhawk44/media/100_0480.mp4.html

--Lysander Spooner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2013, 11:47:11 AM »
I do have to say I'm impressed by the flammability of some types of plastics.  If you're bored and feeling a bit pyro-oriented, go find yourself a Fender brand guitar pick, one of the ones where the plastic of the pick consists of several different colors combined.  Light that on fire.   >:D

Which is why if a modern car catches on fire, the procedure is just to stand back and watch it completely burn, and try to keep it from igniting anything else.

Not to mention multiples "guns" (collision bumpers, and those hood and tailgate lift cylinders) which will go off from the heat.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2013, 12:11:21 PM »
Guitar picks are cellulose, aren' tthey?

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2013, 03:37:05 PM »
Guitar picks are cellulose, aren' tthey?

That's what I was thinking. That would be a real good reason for them to light up so handily, kinda like old movie film.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2013, 09:54:27 PM »
"Nitro" cellulose to be correct.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2013, 10:21:10 PM »
Gotta be careful with them hot licks  ;)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2013, 10:52:35 PM »
Ping pong balls, too.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2013, 02:46:05 AM »
Which is why if a modern car catches on fire, the procedure is just to stand back and watch it completely burn, and try to keep it from igniting anything else.

Not to mention multiples "guns" (collision bumpers, and those hood and tailgate lift cylinders) which will go off from the heat.

We still try to put out the car fires but it ain't easy. Between all the plastics and such and metals like magnesium it can be real challenging to put out a good roaring carbecue. Its going to be a total loss anyway by the time it does get put out. Personally I do not like to be showered with burning magnesium...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU6arBcC8nQ

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2013, 04:50:20 AM »

Discovered that about 20 years ago while trying to make a smaller pick.

Ended up burning every cellulose pick we could find in the practice shed.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2013, 09:55:34 AM »
I do have to say I'm impressed by the flammability of some types of plastics.  If you're bored and feeling a bit pyro-oriented
Keep in mind, though, that some plastics (especially polyethylene) melt before they burn, which makes them sticky. They are impossible to shake off and can be hard to put out. Which is why I still have a couple of interesting scars on my hand from 30 years ago.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2013, 10:35:44 AM »
We still try to put out the car fires but it ain't easy. Between all the plastics and such and metals like magnesium it can be real challenging to put out a good roaring carbecue. Its going to be a total loss anyway by the time it does get put out. Personally I do not like to be showered with burning magnesium...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU6arBcC8nQ

We are still basically a wildland department.  We got some bunker gear and just enough training to know how dangerous it can be.  They guys from town always come out for structures and vehicles, so we just basically put out the grass fire and haul water.

Most of us are pretty old, but there are some younger guys signed on this past year so we may have a real FD yet.  I'm "retired" and on reserve now.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2013, 02:54:28 PM »
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.