Author Topic: ISON Update  (Read 10330 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
ISON Update
« on: November 19, 2013, 10:28:55 AM »
The comet makes its closest approach to the sun next week. It had seemed hit or miss on how much of a show it will put on come December, but this story makes things look promising. I'm hoping it doesn't fizzle out after it passes the sun. :)

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/11/19/stunning-comet-ison-photographed-by-amateur-astronomer/?intcmp=features
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: ISON Update
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 10:46:01 AM »
If it's at all visible with suburban light pollution, I'm going to call it a win.
I promise not to duck.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 02:54:11 PM »
wish we could see that low on the horizon.  around here there are too many mountains.    =(
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 03:09:48 PM »
wish we could see that low on the horizon.  around here there are too many mountains.    =(

If it ends up being spectacular, I'm gonna camp in the desert or on one of the local islands for a weekend to check it out. Don't know how many more of these will pass through before I pass through. :)

I was on a backpacking trip in the mountains back when Hyakutake passed through. We were sleeping out in the open and it was pretty cool waking up throughout the night to check it out.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 03:25:12 PM »
If it ends up being spectacular, I'm gonna camp in the desert or on one of the local islands for a weekend to check it out. Don't know how many more of these will pass through before I pass through. :)

I was on a backpacking trip in the mountains back when Hyakutake passed through. We were sleeping out in the open and it was pretty cool waking up throughout the night to check it out.

I remember that as well. We drove out into the far Milwaukee exurbs to get away from the worst of the light. It was January and freezing. I recall Mrs. Dual was my then girlfriend, and having trouble pointing it out to her until she backed her eyes off a bit and she realized it was about 1/3rd the length of the visible sky.

Maybe that was Hale-Bopp.  ???
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 03:30:37 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 06:29:41 PM »
The funny part of this whole thing is I am reading Lucifer's Hammer.  Good book, by the way. =D
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 06:42:33 PM »
Looking forward to it, also.

Moonless night, D300 attached to 5" Dobsonian - maybe I'll get a decent image!

Or just slap the 50mm f1.8 lens on the camera, and set it on the tripod for a 30 second exposure...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 07:16:56 PM »
Looking forward to it, also.

Moonless night, D300 attached to 5" Dobsonian - maybe I'll get a decent image!

Or just slap the 50mm f1.8 lens on the camera, and set it on the tripod for a 30 second exposure...

That's awesome! I've never tried comet photography. Any tips? I have the same D300 with a choice of a 35mm, 18-200, 150-500.

I have one of those Meade tracking telescopes I bought used years ago, but no camera adapter for it. In fact I haven't had it out in years. I should play around with it over Tday.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 08:16:29 PM »
Ooohh... Mrs. Dual's got a 50mm for the D7000, I'm going to have to try that too.
I promise not to duck.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 08:42:21 PM »
I've been capturing the Milky Way from my front yard at night, using a tripod and exposures in ISO 1600 - 3200 range with a fast prime lens (50mm f1.8 D).

The trick is to keep your exposure down below 30 seconds duration, so that you don't get star tracks.  The faster the lens, then obviously less exposure time.

I was even able to do so with the relatively crappy Nikon 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 VR kit lens, but was pushing things a bit - using every bit of ISO 3200!

Longer than 30 seconds, and you'll need to have a motorized tracking mount to avoid blurs.    

The light pollution in SE Wisconsin is something I have to work around, too.

Light pollution map:

http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 08:55:25 PM »
Trying to figure out if there's a sodium filter that's compatible with Mrs. Dual's Nikkor 50mm...

A drive to a "dark"(ish) spot in Waukesha is do-able, but a drive to far NW Wisconsin for some sky photography is not going to happen.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1022920
I promise not to duck.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 09:08:33 PM »
That's awesome! I've never tried comet photography. Any tips?

Duck.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 09:28:18 PM »
The funny part of this whole thing is I am reading Lucifer's Hammer.  Good book, by the way. =D

I really enjoyed that book too!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 10:47:40 PM »
I'm thinking about going camping somewhere in Eastern Oregon next week so I can get away from the clouds. I don't know how far I'd going to have to drive, though...seems like every time something like this comes through there are clouds. :(

The trick is to keep your exposure down below 30 seconds duration, so that you don't get star tracks.

Sometimes that's a Good ThingTM.

That was six 5 minute exposures at ISO400 with a f/5.6 aperture. 

Also, one thing I've found with the Cannon Rebel T1i I use is that the mirror movement will cause a slight jarring that will show up on the image as a small "hook" at the end of a star trail. If your images start showing this then you'll need to enable the mirror lockup feature, if your camera has one.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 09:55:30 AM »
The comet is a fail if it doesn't hit DC  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 10:53:20 PM »
The comet is a fail if it doesn't hit DC  =(

It does not need to hit DC - merely have the tail pass across it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn1oIVn92fY

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 12:54:36 AM »
Interplanet Janet,
She's a galaxy girllll....

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 11:52:43 PM »
http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/timeline-of-comet-ison-s-dangerous-journey/

"December 2013 - January 2014:  If Comet ISON survives its trip around the sun, there’s a good chance that it will be incredibly bright and easily visible with the naked eye in the Northern Hemisphere. In early December, it will be seen in the morning, low on the horizon to the east-southeast. In late December and early January, it will be visible all night long."

"December 26, 2013: Closest approach to Earth will be approximately 40 million miles."

Heh.  Can't help thinking "Star of Bethlehem."  What are you thinking?

I know, I know.... but it kinda jumps out at ya, don't it?

Terry
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 11:58:02 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2013, 11:54:05 PM »
Figured I'd play with the camera on tripod tonight, since it's a calm 25 degrees outside, no clouds, and no moon.

Perfect weather to try and capture the Milky Way again.

So, I set the D300 to 20 seconds exposure, 50mm f1.8 lens focused at infinity, ISO 1600, and let 'er rip.

Friggin' airliners! You can see the oscillation I set in motion with the shutter button, look at the nav lights on the right side.   =D

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 01:55:31 AM »
Gonna try to see if I can go try to spot ISON tomorrow morning....   
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2013, 10:35:21 PM »
Since I'm up at that time of day 5 mornings out of 7 I'm hoping to get to see the thing. It's been cloudy in the mornings for over a week now though.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 01:25:18 AM »
Well, I got out to east county to try to get away from the light pollution...  But apparently was out there a touch too late.   Gonna have to try again.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 06:48:32 AM »
Gewehr98

Cover/shield your lens, open the shutter (Bulb or Time), take/time your exposure, cover/shield the lens, close the shutter.

That shutter/mirror bounce used to drive me nuts when I was doing a lot of macro photography with full lighting.  I finally tapped a 4 or 5 lb steel plate 1/4-20 to mount on the tripod, with a 1/4" clearance hole for a winged 1/4-20 bolt through it to hold the camera.

The extra mass helped a lot.  Probably no longer necessary with digitals.  Don't know for sure.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 07:04:05 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 12:38:19 PM »
Gewehr98

Cover/shield your lens, open the shutter (Bulb or Time), take/time your exposure, cover/shield the lens, close the shutter.

That shutter/mirror bounce used to drive me nuts when I was doing a lot of macro photography with full lighting.  I finally tapped a 4 or 5 lb steel plate 1/4-20 to mount on the tripod, with a 1/4" clearance hole for a winged 1/4-20 bolt through it to hold the camera.

The extra mass helped a lot.  Probably no longer necessary with digitals.  Don't know for sure.

Like I said, look for the mirror lockup feature. Don't know if Nikons have them, but Canons do.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 04:23:42 PM »
Yeah, I've got plenty of options.

I'll probably go fixed-focus Live View, which locks the mirror up, and use the remote shutter release.

I have a cinder block I can hang from the tripod with a bungee cord, too.