Author Topic: Obama on Gun Control  (Read 2788 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Obama on Gun Control
« on: March 13, 2011, 07:42:28 PM »
I found the last line of the quote rather interesting. I wonder how Boxer, Schumer, and Feinstein are reacting to "instant access". More at the link.

Obama suggested three areas for reform: enforcement of gun control laws already on the books through better implementation of the National Instant Criminal Background Check System; rewards for states that keep the best data -- "and therefore do the most to protect our citizens"; and a faster and nimbler network that provides "an instant, accurate, comprehensive and consistent system for background checks to sellers who want to do the right thing."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03/13/obama-pens-op-ed-calling-better-gun-sale-background-checks/#ixzz1GWfv3S00
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 10:51:01 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Gun Sales Op-Ed by Obama
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 07:45:02 PM »
enforcement of gun control laws already on the books

Like the Second Amendment, maybe ...?    :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 08:56:52 PM »

He lacks credibility in this matter.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 09:29:55 PM »
I found the last line of the quote rather interesting. I wonder how Boxer, Schumer, and Feinstein are reacting to "instant access". More at the link.

Is this the next big thing, logging 4473s into some slick database for quick and easy access by the authorities?

Not good.

Waitone

• friend
Obama Opens Discussion of Common Sense Gun Control
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 10:31:40 PM »
From the Arizona Daily Star
http://azstarnet.com/article_011e7118-8951-5206-a878-39bfbc9dc89d.html

Key provisions to fix the system.
--Better enforcement of existing laws.  Quality of data collected needs to be better
--Reward state which give fed.gov better data
--The system needs to be fast and nimble

I wonder if he will propose a national FOID card.  Would meet all three criteria.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Obama Opens Discussion of Common Sense Gun Control
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 10:44:02 PM »
Nope, he wants to close the "Gun Show Loophole", it remains to be seen what else he's going to propose, but it probably won't be good.

Had the sheriff (or his school, or his parents) done the right thing when Loughner had made threats and had Sheriff Dupnik done his job the killer would not have been able to buy that gun.

So I don't see any reason for any more "Common Sense" gun laws.  I do see a reason to replace a sheriff.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 10:49:41 PM »
Duplicate topics merged. Thread title changed to generic "Obama Gun Control" subject. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 12:08:16 AM »
Like the Second Amendment, maybe ...?    :P

:laugh:  In all seriousness, though, you should try to keep up with modern times. The Constitution isn't law anymore. It's just soundbite material.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Obama on Gun Control
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 12:21:58 AM »
If the (non-existent) gun show loophole is the main/worst thing they're after, it at least shows how far we've come.

Think about how many times the political Right has been lambasted for saying "Enforce the existing laws better". Even though I don't believe for a minute he really means it, we've got the worst Leftist president since Carter at least saying it.

That alone is pretty cool, and shows how far we've shifted the debate.  =)

I promise not to duck.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 02:44:05 AM »
UNfortunatley there are a bunch of gun owners that will say "well, gee if they just want to close that darned ole "gun show loophole" well I guess that isn't such a big deal.
The reality is that too many don't know just what that really means.
Want to pass on that family hierloom .22 rifle to your son/daughter? Take it to a FFL and fill out the paper work.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 10:56:40 AM »
:laugh:  In all seriousness, though, you should try to keep up with modern times. The Constitution isn't law anymore. It's just soundbite material.

I dunno ... you think that smokeless powder is any more than a passing fad ?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

CSM Kersh

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 11:43:06 AM »

Quote from: RevDisk
He lacks credibility in this matter.

The last 3 word were un-needed, IMO.   >:D
Sam A. Kersh
NRA Patron
csmkersh@thegunnerslair.com
My Web Page
When Seconds count the police are only minutes away.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 04:29:16 PM »
I dunno ... you think that smokeless powder is any more than a passing fad ?

It'll never catch on. Just those silly kids wanting things louder and faster.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 05:16:33 PM »
Most gun owners know that the word "commonsense" isn't a code word for "confiscation."

Most gun owners know that "common sense" consists of two words, and they are indeed code words for heinous gun control measures that put Americans at risk of gun violence.

I guess the idea of Barack Obama writing an op-ed on gun issues would be laughable if it were not - wait, no, it is laughable. I'm going to go write an op-ed on what it's like to be a bisexual Polish Buddhist, trying to plan an American Civil War reenactment in Indonesia.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 08:20:27 PM »
Meanwhile, Libya is in a Civil War; most of northern Japan looks like it got hit with all the Godzilla movies at once; and Mr. Focused-on-jobs-like-a-laser-beam is writing Op-Ed pieces on Gun Control ?

How many more days until we can un-elect him ?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 11:10:31 PM »
Meanwhile, Libya is in a Civil War; most of northern Japan looks like it got hit with all the Godzilla movies at once; and Mr. Focused-on-jobs-like-a-laser-beam is writing Op-Ed pieces on Gun Control ?
Because now is the time to shift focus to that topic.

The Chosen One has spent enough time talking about the economy, jobs, housing, Egypt, Afghanistan, the NFL, unemployment, beer summits, and Wisconsin Democrats. Also, John Q Public's attention span is tired of all of the above, with the exception of football. So, time to change the channel on ObamaTV and talk about gun control.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 04:37:32 PM »
I'm all for enforcing gun laws- lets start with laws that the BATFE or Bloomberg break.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama