Author Topic: They're Everywhere, They're Everywhere!!  (Read 2803 times)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
They're Everywhere, They're Everywhere!!
« on: November 15, 2010, 12:39:49 PM »
Even on Facebook, now.  I just got this:

Dear <MyFirst, MyLast>

Please Reply via this email address: mr.barrgregoryjones<at>rediffmail.com you can call me +228 825 8206

I am Barrister Jones Gregory, personal attorney to Late Mr J.C <MyLast>, a nationality of your Country, Who died and left some huge amount of money with a bank here in Africa , valued at US$18.5 million dollars.
I have contacted you to assist me and get it transferred. Please Reply to My Private Email for More Details... mr.barrgregoryjones<at>rediffmail.com you can call me +228 825 8206

Regards.
Barristers Jones Gregory

People really fall for this crap?

On top of that, my wife has been getting regulare emails claiming to be from our ISP.  They say they're weeding out inactive email addresses and if she doesn't reply with her personal info (including email address and password) her account will be closed.  It gets very dramatic and threatening.

Maybe when the economy picks up, they'll all get good jobs and leave us alone.  Why do the Nigerians and Kenyans have to pick on us?   =D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: They're Everywhere, They're Everywhere!!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 01:06:01 PM »
This **&&%@ has been around long before the economy went south and I suspect it will continue .... though for myself I have noticed much less  from African sources.  Maybe they finally got tired of listening to the crickets chirping .......   
In anycase you are doing well to ignore it esp. the threatening stuff.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 01:12:19 PM »
In anycase you are doing well to ignore it esp. the threatening stuff.

My wife was a bit perturbed when she got the first phishing email.  She knew they exist and she would never give out personal info in that sort of scenario, yet when one pops up on your screen it all comes home.

Here is what one of hers looks like:
Sent: Saturday, October 30, 2010 6:12 PM
Subject: Announcement

Your MailBox Has Exceeded It Quota/Limit As Set By Your Administrator
 And you May Not Be Able To Receive Or Send New Mails Until You
 Re-Validate.

To Re-Validate your account,
 enter your account informations below"

Email:
 P.ssword
 Date of birth

Account owner that refuses to maintain his or her account
 will loose account. permanently from our  site.

Warning !!! Email user that refuses to maintain his/her account
 we have the account deactivated permanently.

Thanks for using Cox,
 Cox Comm Team 2.0.1.0.

Their English is clumsy, but they know how to alter the content to get past most filters.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 01:45:24 PM »
That is actually pretty good.  I remember getting the first scam email supposedly from the bank I deal with.  I questioned it immediately, but that was largely because I had already gotten so many of them for banks I don't do business with. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 06:11:35 PM »
Maybe when the economy picks up, they'll all get good jobs and leave us alone.  Why do the Nigerians and Kenyans have to pick on us?

i don't know about the Nigerians, but the Kenyans are mad at the US for stealing they're president. :laugh:

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 06:17:49 PM »
I saw a 60 Minutes/Dateline type of show about this. On this program were lots of people who lost thousands of dollars to these guys in Africa. Unreal.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 07:10:55 PM »
I once directed a scammer like that to a sex hotline that costs like a dollar a minute and told him to ask for me. He emailed me later, complaining they wouldn't transfer him to me.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 09:39:30 PM »
I've done a little baiting of idiots like these.   It's all sorts of fun to have them running around in circles thinking the next step is gonna get them the big payoff.  A couple of times I've even told them that I've been baiting them and that I've known they were a scammer from the get-go.  I've gotten a couple of pretty spectacular death threats, as well as a voodoo curse or three. 

Usually I just let them think they've screwed up....  And then start the whole cycle again from a different baiting e-mail account.  :)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 11:17:14 PM »
I once directed a scammer like that to a sex hotline that costs like a dollar a minute and told him to ask for me. He emailed me later, complaining they wouldn't transfer him to me.

Oh, I like that.  It would be fun to direct them to the Psychic Hotline and see if the Psychic sees them coming.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.