Author Topic: They're called Mountain Lions and not Desert Lions for a reason  (Read 702 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Someone in the California Department of Fish and Wildlife got the bright idea of moving two male Mountain lions to the Mojave Desert. After the big cats died the dept admitted that may have not been the greatest idea in the world as they didn't consider both the environment and on the cats homing instincts.

'In hindsight, it wasn't a good place to release those lions,' said Tom Stephenson, a senior environmental scientist at the California Department of Fish and Wildlife.
'Perhaps we should find those who are responsible for this travesty in the Dept. of Fish and Wildlife, put tracking collars on them and release them in the Mojave desert. Let's see how they like it,' David Freeman commented about the move.

Outrage after two mountain lions died when California wildlife officials moved them from the mountains to the Mojave Desert
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12453675/Mountain-lions-died-California-desert-officials-outcry.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: They're called Mountain Lions and not Desert Lions for a reason
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 01:57:08 PM »
In fairness, the mountainous regions they inhabit in the West are often as desolate as the area in the Mojave where they were released. Much of the mountain West, like where I am, is considered desert, and we've got lions.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 02:01:30 PM »
In fairness, the mountainous regions they inhabit in the West are often as desolate as the area in the Mojave where they were released. Much of the mountain West, like where I am, is considered desert, and we've got lions.

Your area also has dogs, cats, calves, foals and sweet little bunny rabbits for dinner. All they will get out in the Mojave is a scrawny jackrabbit or other less filling options. ;)

bob

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2023, 05:18:37 PM »
Your area also has dogs, cats, calves, foals and sweet little bunny rabbits for dinner. All they will get out in the Mojave is a scrawny jackrabbit or other less filling options. ;)

bob

Yeah, the Mojave is a gorram horrible place to live.  It makes the Sonoran desert look downright tropical.

We have lions in the Sonoran desert, but they still live in the hills that pass for lowland mountains around here (the Goldfield/McDowell/Superstition mountains) and favor riparian areas.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2023, 06:23:55 PM »
^^^

You guys know that the Mojave is huge, yeah? It includes Death Valley which has plenty of wildlife, and lions are already a known species there. These transplanted lions were put in an area they could survive and left it for an area they couldn't, in an attempt to get home. The Death Valley mountain lions like donkey.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/cougars-are-killing-feral-donkeys-and-thats-good-for-wetlands-180980578/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojave_Desert
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2023, 08:48:49 PM »
^^^

You guys know that the Mojave is huge, yeah? It includes Death Valley which has plenty of wildlife, and lions are already a known species there. These transplanted lions were put in an area they could survive and left it for an area they couldn't, in an attempt to get home. The Death Valley mountain lions like donkey.

That is not at all how I remember  The Incredible Journey ending.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 12:04:46 AM »

bob

...and brooks and streams and springs and shelter and what the hell were they thinking?  Did the ASPCA get after them for animal abuse?  Damned college-warped kids don't know nuthin'. 

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.