Author Topic: Cigars  (Read 7822 times)

Third_Rail

• friend
Cigars
« on: June 17, 2005, 05:29:50 AM »
I had been wanting to try a cigar, as I'd never smoked but hated the smell of cigarettes. I love the smell of cigars, however.

I bought just some cheap-os at the smoke shop, a 5 pack of "Blunts" by Phillies.

Really, really nice to slowly smoke. Any suggestions for a nicer cigar to nurse slowly on an afternoon, reading a good book or whatnot? Try to keep below $15/cigar, since I'm not made of money.

PS First post at APS. I forgot I registered here.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Cigars
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 05:35:15 AM »
I always liked the Royal Jamaicans.  I havent smoked a cigar in years now but I dont remember them being horribly expensive and they are good.  And the high cost will keep you from smoking too many.
And if someone offers you a Cuban: dont think of it as helping their economy, think of it as burning their fields.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

TarpleyG

• friend
Cigars
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 05:48:43 AM »
Depends on your tastes.  I started smoking cigars recently and thought I would enjoy mild ones better.  Turns out I don't.  I like them a little more robust than most newbies.  Check out stogiechat.com for some recommendations.  Stuff I like:

CAO - Criollo line.  Really nice cigar IMO--my personal favorite.  ~$8 retail.

la Finca - These are inexpensive but taste really good for a cheap cigar.  ~$1.50 retail (bought in 25 bundle)

Arturo Fuente gran Reserva - not sure exactly which one it is, there are several lines.  A little overpriced for what you get.  Nice cigar though.  ~$8 retail.

CAO - Brazilia.  I haven't tried one of these but it is next on my list after I finish the last box of Criollos I bought.  Supposed to be even better.

What I don't like:
la Flor de Maria Mancini (I think it's Magic Mountain or something like that)- They are good up front but have a bitter taste towards the end.

Don Tomas - I had one from a friend and it was too strong for me.  Maybe it was that particular line.

One thing I have noticed is that you need to keep them in a humidor of some kind if you plan on keeping them for more than a week or so.  Much longer than that and they dry out, burn too fast, and don't taste as good.  You can get a nice 100 count humidor for around $50 and it is a good inverstment, even if you think you will never have 100 cigars.  If you do but a humidor, check out online suggestions for seasoning it and getting it ready before you put cigars in it.  Makes all the difference.

One last thing - Cuban's are overrated IMO.  The CAOs that I mentioned above (at least the Criollos) are just as good if not better and won't break the bank.  Go ahead and spend the money and see for yourself.  I am sure you'll reach the same conclusion.

Greg

Third_Rail

• friend
Cigars
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 06:10:31 AM »
Well, I expect the rest of the Phillies I bought to go bad, then. I'll have to invest in a humidor or just buy one cigar at a time, as I don't see myself smoking more than one a week, at the absolute most. More like once a month.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far, guys!

client32

• friend
Cigars
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 06:26:52 AM »
http://armedpolitesociety.com/viewtopic.php?id=33

When I first saw this post, I thought it might have been someone digging around old treads.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
Cigars
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 06:43:58 AM »
(I said it before and I will say it again)
Try the Rockey Patel Classic Vintage aged 12 years in the petite corona. It is about $6.00 and a good smoke. I also encourage you to go to a cigar store that has a walk-in humidor, tell the people who work there you just started smoking cigars and ask them to help you choose some to try.

Also, blunts are not what I would call a true cigar they are more like a fat cigarette.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

TarpleyG

• friend
Cigars
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 06:59:14 AM »
Another thing, if you buy them in cellophane and don't have a humidor, they'll keep a little longer.  Also, StopTheGrays suggestion is spot on.  Those cigar shop guys are usually nice enough and will point you in the right direction.  Go get a couple based on their suggestions and try them.  Write down what they are and if you liked them or not.  Repeat until you find 4 or 5 that you like and stick to those.

Greg

Third_Rail

• friend
Cigars
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 07:58:35 AM »
I think I'll head back to the smokeshop later this month, then. They seemed nice enough (watching me walk around for 30 minutes, deciding what to buy)

In the end I bought what was cheapest and had individual wrappers. Though I still think they'll go bad before I smoke them.

...has left the building.

Cigars
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 08:28:14 AM »
A good brand to start out with is the Macanudo brand in the light wrappers.

wasrjoe

Cigars
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 08:51:24 AM »
In the end I bought what was cheapest and had individual wrappers. Though I still think they'll go bad before I smoke them.
Those... "cigars" went bad before they even left the factory. Phillies are the Jennings of the cigar world. I like Romeo y Julietas a lot. They Reserve Maduro Lonsdale cigars are the best I've had so far. But just ask the people at the smokeshop - you really can't go wrong with most of the big name brands. It's like Sig, H&K, Steyr, Winchester - all good firearms, the biggest thing is finding out what suites your tastes.
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

Sean Smith

Cigars
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 08:52:13 AM »
I disagree that Cubans are overrated.  SOME Cubans aren't that great, of course, but I haven't found anything that really stacks up to a good Cuban... that said, they aren't really a practical choice for the most part, and it isn't like all non-Cubans totally suck.

Third_Rail

• friend
Cigars
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 10:53:27 AM »
Well, if I was able to enjoy what everyone seems to agree was bottom of the barrel quality, I ought to really enjoy something nicer.

I'll definately head to the smoke shop next time I want a cigar, and ask them what they suggest.

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
Cigars
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2005, 11:24:36 AM »
Yeah Phillies really suck, Swisher Sweets aren't that much better.  Cut one open and tell me if you're impressed with what you see.  Yuck.

I prefer cigars being smoked by someone else for the most part.  I can't seem to find something I really enjoy, though I love the smell.  I guess I'll need to keep looking.  I think I'll try an Optimo next.
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

Third_Rail

• friend
Cigars
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2005, 11:46:16 AM »
Wow, you weren't kidding. I sliced one open, thought "that can't be what's really in it", so I opened another. I threw the package away.

Looks more like whatever's left after making better things, then making ok things, then making low grade things. Phillies seems to use even lower than that - tailings, I guess.

wasrjoe

Cigars
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005, 11:52:46 AM »
Once you smoke a real cigar, you'll wonder how you ever looked at that stuff without vomiting. Start with a light wrapper at first, but if you're like me - soon only deep, dark maduros will satisfy your cigar needs. Cheesy
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

Third_Rail

• friend
Cigars
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2005, 02:45:36 PM »
Just got back from the smoke shop... took me through a quick rundown and suggested an inexpensive Macanudo to try. It smells great, and I'll see what it tastes like this coming week.

Forgot to get a cutter, though... I'm sure I have a straight razor or something around, though!!

Azrael256

• friend
Cigars
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2005, 04:04:12 PM »
To sort of add to what Tarpley said, go get yourself a 3x5 card box.  Write up a little review for yourself of what you thought of the cigar.  I do this for pipe tobacco.  With the five million different makes and models, it will come in handy.  Also, be sure to indicate where you smoked it, as temperature, humidity, wind, etc. will affect it.  If I'm going sailing, I just look up which tobacco smoked well in high humidity and wind (if you're a pipe smoker, you know why that combination is a doozy).

TarpleyG

• friend
Cigars
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2005, 04:08:20 PM »
Azrael, where do you sail?  I think I have sailed/raced every lake in Dallas/Ft. Worth and surrounding areas.

Greg

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
Cigars
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2005, 04:14:38 PM »
Pick up a Fuente 8-5-8 and a La Gloria Cubana, too. See what you think.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Third_Rail

• friend
Cigars
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2005, 04:55:12 PM »
Just as bad, but people usually don't inhale all the way, nor are these are 3/day thing. So, in moderation, they're not too bad for you.

Dannyboy

• friend
Cigars
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2005, 07:00:37 PM »
Macanudo Maduros
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Azrael256

• friend
Cigars
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2005, 08:50:03 PM »
Tarpley, I usually go sailing with my dad down at Lake Belton.  He has a nice little 23' Oday that we've been restoring bit by bit.  I don't think I've been on a Dallas area lake in 10 years.  We had a 14' somethingorother that we used to run up and down White Rock when I was a kid.  Haven't been out on the water in nearly a year now, but I'm thinking of getting myself a little Sunfish.  I've found several in the $400 range that need some work, but it should be a fun project.

TarpleyG

• friend
Cigars
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2005, 02:06:53 AM »
Cool.  Never been to Belton that I recall.  O'Day's a nice boat.  Sunfish are a blast.  We used to run a Sunfish regatta a couple times a year on Lake Lavon for the kids of the yacht club members there.  We had 4 or 5 of them at one time.  Not sure if they are still doing it or not.  Funny thing...I moved to Florida with my company in hopes I'd get to sail more.  I haven't been sailing for over 2 years now.  Just haven't found anyone that's cool enough to hang out with and sail.  They're a little snobby down here.

Anyway, sorry for the hijack.  Third_Rail, let us know how that Mac is.  I don't care for them but I have a few friends that like them.

Greg

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Cigars
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2005, 02:51:11 AM »
OK, don't laugh....one of my favorites is Big Butt. Very pleasant aroma and doesn't bite the tongue. They are BIG. 60-ring. They come in 3 sizes; 45 minute, 1 hour, and mowing the 2 1/2 acres. Cool label, too. cool

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
Cigars
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2005, 03:03:55 AM »
I like Macanudo Maduros and Baccarat Rothschilds.  Neither are too expensive but both have a nice flavor.

What I've found WRT Cuban cigars is that quality control due to increased production is erratic.  In one box, you can have a GREAT cigar and then a second will taste like what I imagine dried dog poop must taste like.

You can make a cheap humidor with a plastic shoe box and a bit of sponge.  I saturate half a sponge with water, but not so that it's dripping.  Put it in a plastic shoe box along with your tabbacy and it'll keep fresh longer.