Author Topic: Electrical Question  (Read 801 times)

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Electrical Question
« on: June 18, 2006, 03:24:44 AM »
My Daughter's room had a switchged light in it.  On/off only.

I added a ceiling fan with a light.  Is there a way to wire it so that the fan works off of a switch, and the light can work off a dimmer switch?  I know that they make special switches for this, but would I need to add more wires in the attci?  Right now they are both on the dimmer, so if you dim the light, the fan "dims", too.

Any ideas?
One day at a time.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Electrical Question
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 04:25:14 AM »
You might want to try one of the aftermarket remote control units that you can buy. Some of them offer that kind of flexibility.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Live Free Or Die

Electrical Question
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 04:51:06 AM »
I'm not *exactly* sure how a dimmer switch works, but if there's only one length of Romex wire running from the wall switch to the light/fan, then I don't think it's possible to do what you're asking about.  Not without running another wire (from a non-dimmed switch) to the fan.

I agree with the previous poster: the cheapest and easiest solution is probably just to buy a ceiling fan/light fixture combo that comes with a remote dimmer for the light.  i.e., the dimmer circuitry would be inside the fixture, post-fan and pre-light.

If you're really handy with electrical work though, and don't mind going up in the attic...routing another wire to the fan could be cheaper/easier.  That would likely require some surgery to your light/fan though, since it currently only takes 1 power wire.

TarpleyG

• friend
Electrical Question
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 07:33:08 AM »
Yep, you'd have to wire the light on the ceiling fan to another power source (wire) for it to work independently (dimming) from the fan.

Check out the remote control idea someone mentioned.  Might be an option there.

Greg

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Electrical Question
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 07:47:59 AM »
Thanks y'all.

Unfortunately, the fan is already in.

On of these days, I may get REALLY bored and fish the wire.

Ok, Whom I kidding...
One day at a time.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Electrical Question
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 07:57:40 AM »
You can probably get a remote control unit from your fan's manufacturer, or a universal one, for $30.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Electrical Question
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 05:35:14 AM »
You basically want the fan and the light controlled differently, which means two different switches, and two different power sources.  If you have access to the space, you should be able to rewire it via the old wires route.  Try looking for a fan that also uses a remote control.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Electrical Question
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 05:52:10 AM »
http://www.garbes.com/fans/tcs.html

The Universal Remote Control system can be added to most fans on the market.

Or, simply look at your fan, determine who made it, and go on that company's website and find out if they have a remote control unit.

With a remote control, you do not have to do any pulling of new wires through the walls.

You only need to wire the remote receiver into the fan.

Using a remote like this you don't need two separate power sources, the receiver takes care of that for you.

client32

• friend
Electrical Question
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 08:51:37 AM »
I will commonly wire fans where the light works off of the switch and the fan works off the pull chain, independent of the switch.  The wiring has to be in place a certain way to do this.  Basically, the "hot" wire has to go to the cieling fixture and not the light switch.

Not exactly what you asked for.  And thi can be done without take the fan completely apart.  You just need to get to the wiring again.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Electrical Question
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 09:09:58 AM »
you can also put an X10 module in the light bulb fixture

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/Shop/Lighting/X10-Receivers/Item/PSM04/
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"