Author Topic: Testing the limits of APS (movie question)  (Read 820 times)

client32

• friend
Testing the limits of APS (movie question)
« on: June 21, 2006, 02:58:47 AM »
When I was a kid, I remember a scene from a movie.  At least I think it was a movie.  It was on a video tape my parents had.

Anyways, I don't know what the name of the movie is.  Maybe someone here knows.

The scene is a bunch of kids, maybe junior high age.  Two kids make a bet which I think is 50 cents.  The bet was on a race around a building.  I think the building was and old school, but I'm not real sure.  The race was between a kid that thought we was fast and another kid that looked like he was 5.  The older kid loses but only becuase the kid he is racing has a twin that finishes the race for him.  I remember the kid that lost the race say something like "I never saw him pass me."

Something the other day reminded me of this, now it bugs me.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Live Free Or Die

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 04:22:31 PM »
Man, I hate when that happens.  Sorry I can't help with your question though.

Live Free Or Die

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 04:34:44 PM »
Oh, and to prove that I can empathize:

When I was a kid (early 80's), I remember a cartoon coming on occasionally.  I was one of the weird, short-lived ones -- not your Looney Toons, Woody Woodpecker, Tom & Jerry, or anything that well known.  There was a character on the show that had a physique like Yogi Bear (probably a little thinner), but he didn't have a head or neck.  Where his head should have been, there was just a little stump -- like the last couple inches of a wooden broomstick -- with a few hairs growing off it.  You didn't usually see that though, since he wore a little birdhouse over the stump like a helmet.  I remember he would sometimes raise the birdhouse to reveal the stump, usually frightening another character in doing so.

For some reason I thought that this character's name was "Mr. Nobody."  However, I've searched google for years without any success in finding out what this cartoon or character was.

There's a good chance I'm remembering some of the details incorrectly, but if anyone knows what I'm talking about, you can help me erase years of frustration caused by not being able to remember this.

Lo.Com.Denom

• friend
  • Welcome to my world...
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 10:34:57 AM »
Quote from: Live Free Or Die
There was a character on the show that had a physique like Yogi Bear (probably a little thinner), but he didn't have a head or neck.  Where his head should have been, there was just a little stump -- like the last couple inches of a wooden broomstick -- with a few hairs growing off it.  You didn't usually see that though, since he wore a little birdhouse over the stump like a helmet.  I remember he would sometimes raise the birdhouse to reveal the stump, usually frightening another character in doing so.
At first I thoght you were talking about "Captain Caveman", but...

Jeez-Louise, that's messed up! Wasn't one of those Czech art-house cartoons that they used to put on kids TV, was it? You know -- where the station didn't know what it was, but assumed because it was a cartoon that kids would love it?

Live Free Or Die

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 10:42:17 AM »
At first I thoght you were talking about "Captain Caveman", but...

Jeez-Louise, that's messed up! Wasn't one of those Czech art-house cartoons that they used to put on kids TV, was
it? You know -- where the station didn't know what it was, but assumed because it was a cartoon that kids would love it?
Heheh, in my earlier searches for this mystery character, it did occur to me that Captain Caveman meets a couple of  the criterion I had.  Primarily the stumpiness.  In fact, CC looks basically like a whole-body stump -- a larger version of what protrudes from the mystery character's torso.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 12:24:20 PM »
the twin race gag sounds like the little rascals
32   Every Man For Himself   10/19/24   The gang is confronted with a pair of twins, but they don't know it. One is tough, and one is timid.

the birdhouse dood is prolly here:
http://melaman2.com/cartoons

The Hair Bear Bunch

which leads to the HB pantheon:
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"