Author Topic: Dammit, Part two: It ain't good.  (Read 1300 times)

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Dammit, Part two: It ain't good.
« on: June 21, 2006, 11:13:39 AM »
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/viewtopic.php?id=3589

Part two-

They went in, said a few expletives, moved her stoma up and over to bypass as many organs as they could, left the tumor, and zipped her up.

Too f!#@$%#$ing big to remove.

You know, this sucks.

They are going to start aggressive Chemo soon, exact time tbd.

This 70 something year old is going to get the snot beaten out of her again.

sigh.
One day at a time.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 11:37:27 AM »
Sorry to hear it. My wife's 92 y/o grandmother, already suffering advanced Alzheimer's, is in hospice with in infected gall bladder. She's too weak for surgery.

Prayers and best wishes. May the near future be as smooth and tranquil as it can be...

SADShooter
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Preacherman

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 12:22:52 PM »
If you need to talk, shoot me a PM over on THR, or e-mail me at preacherman AT thehighroad DOT org.  I'll do what I can.  Unfortunately, there's no easy way out of this - and I think you know the likely outcome as well as I do.  May I suggest that you begin investigating options such as hospice care, either at home or in a dedicated facility?
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 01:15:55 PM »
Yup.

Like I quoted last time, life is fatal.

Some see the glass as half full.
Some see it as half empty.
I see it as too big.

They all have her dead and burried, but it is an emotional response.  EVERY cancer that she has had, in there eyes, has been life threatening.

Some are still talking positive- "She will pull through".

I'm being the realist- "No, I don't think she will".

Life goes on.

Preacherman- thanks for the offer, but I think I'm ok for now.

Unfortunately, in my short 33 years, I have burried A LOT of people.  After a while, you get numb to it.

I'm more upset that my wife is hurting so, if that makes any sense.

M
One day at a time.

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 01:31:52 PM »
Ex, I'm sorry. I can put in a prayer for you all if you'd like.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 02:20:41 PM »
NF-

I can use all the help that I can get at this point.

Thanks.

Mark
One day at a time.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 03:18:42 AM »
XMH,
I found that talking to yourself helps. Seriously. In your mind, remind yourself that you're a man, we all will die, and the rest of the family would benefit from your strength. Go off by yourself for a few minutes, cuss out the unfairness, then get back at it. Helping loved ones bear up gives you at least something positive in the whole rotten mess. Sorry you have to go through this.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 04:19:52 AM »
I think my wife finally got it.  Last night we were talking and she said "I'm not ready to loose my Mother".  I replied "I don't think that's your call to make".  She was silent for a moment then agreed.

When I talked to her this morning, she was a lot calmer and even keeled.  Even when she told me that the found another tumor blocking her bladder.
One day at a time.

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 04:54:09 AM »
Mark,

Done. May God's love be with you, your wife, and your mother-in-law.

- Steve.
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Chris

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 05:30:42 AM »
Ex,

The best you can do is hold your wife's hand, take care of your little one, and live life.  I watched my father linger in a coma for a month after brain surgery to repair an aneurism in his brain.  the surgery worker, but the trauma to the brain caused a stroke.  One of those rare complications that almost never happens, that Dad knew was a risk, but that he accepted as trade for removing the ticking bomb in his head.  I wasn't ready to lose my Dad, right up until the point where I was alone with him in the room, and i said "Dad, if you have to go, go.  We'll be alright."  He died the next day.  I like to think that I made it okay in his mind to let go.

not that it is a good time to ask, but does she have a will, a health care power of attorney, a "living will" and such prepared.  Might want to consider these while you still can, although it's not going to be easy for you to suggest it.  Makes you look like the Grim Reaper, but can be very helpful if needed.  They were for us.

Best wishes, prayer, and such.

Chris

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 05:42:33 AM »
I'm sorry. Sad

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 07:33:07 AM »
XMH,

You're doing exactly the right thing by being a strong person for your wife to hold on to.  Her world is changing in a way that she cannot stop and doesn't feel ready to face.  Just as a child who is afraid of the dark is comforted by having her daddy's hand to hold, your wife will rely on your strength to help her face something she fears.

When my wife's brother died, not quite a year ago, she and I both did the "steady place" thing for her family.  He'd been sick a long time, and BrokenMa knew it was time for him to go, so she'd gotten over grieving for a life cut short; she wanted him to find peace and relief from his pain.  But most of the family was not ready for him to go (Especially his mom, dad, and younger sister), and they needed us to be the calm harbor in the storm.  

Keep doing what you're doing; even if they don't acknowledge it, or even realize it themselves, you're helping, and making this difficult time easier.

My thoughts are with you.

Namaste,
-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.