Author Topic: At least ONE political race will be interesting  (Read 1048 times)

Antibubba

• friend
At least ONE political race will be interesting
« on: June 23, 2006, 03:11:08 AM »
There is now a four-way race for Governor of Texas.  Along with the State Comptroller, Kinky Friedman gathered enough signatures to get on the ballot.

There isn't a Smiley big enough for this one.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 03:19:18 AM »
I'm rooting for the Kinkstah, 'cause they aint making Jews like Jesus anymore.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 03:37:26 AM »
I dunno about Da Kinkstah... He may lose a large segment of the population, since his domestic policy revolves around biscuits in an oven, and buns in a bed...
Blog under construction

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 04:25:15 AM »
Well he ain't Barry Goldwater, but I guess I'm willing to hear him out.

I don't know if his stance on the death penalty will resound with most Jews, if only for his phraeology

..And I dont want Texas to rank first in executions. Two thousand years ago we executed an innocent man, Jesus Christmy question is, what have we learned in two thousand years? Actually, people may have learned quite a bit since then, but the government hasnt learned a thing. Texas, right now, is very close to executing an innocent man..
He sounds ok on gun control, not great, but how many people really are great when it comes to large scale politics?

Im not anti-hunting, I just dont hunt. As far as gun control goes, in Texas the conceal-and-carry law is working really well; its cut crime and I think George W. did good with that one..
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 05:08:00 AM »
Well, here in Michigan in the last two years:

We've had a transexual who can't get gay and lesbian groups to support her/him/it because she/he/it is apparently too much of a freak, but who got picked up by the Enquirer, which she/he/it deemed "good publicity."

We had a guy from the punk band the Dead Rotters.

Last time, there were 3 Lamar Lemmons running. Fortunately, only 2 of them won and the other one isn't running this time.

We have one guy who last time ran as Mario Nesser Fundarski because he was trying to get the ME vote. This time, he's running an international match-making service and his platform revolves around getting Poland most-favored nation status, so he dropped the Nessar from his name. I researched and found out his real name is Mario Fundaro, but he was trying to hook up Polish people so he legally changed his name.

Coleman Young is running this year. Maybe its him. Dems often vote after death, why not run for office again?

I get ranty letters from all kinds of folks including one guy who completed his survey but then took the time to write a long letter explaining he was getting out because there was..um..too much politics in politics.

And another guy who was livid that we mailed him something and demanded to know where we got his address and that he wasn't sure he liked the idea of people contacting him.. Dude..its public record. You're running for office..people are going to contact you if you win..they're called constituents.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 05:09:20 AM »
And I just got off the phone with a guy who is an NRA member, instructs kids, etc. and thought the gun show loophole fix was a good idea. Once I explained what it meant, he was kind of dumb-founded.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 01:05:35 PM »
I heard a couple of radio interviews with Freidman several months back and wasn't particularly impressed. It's been too long ago to remember specifics, but in general I remember the impression being that he was spouting stuff that sounded good to the unwashed masses, but was obviously unworkable after a moments reflection.

Sorta like a politician, I suppose.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 07:48:40 PM »
Kinky has scaled back the one-liners considerably as of late and is sounding like a man who uses more common sense than anything. Yeah, he's preaching to the choir- his supporters are pretty hard-core...and surprisingly diverse.

SWMBO and I went to one of his meet-and-greets a couple of months ago. Got to meet him and more surprisingly, held a 5 minute or so conversation with him.  Whatever one might think of him, it's better in person.

He may surround himself with some odd ducks, and he may be fairly odd himself, but with our state constitution so hardwired, the Governor isn't much more than a PR man anyway. The Lt. Govenor pretty much determines what gets screwed up in our legislature since Reconstruction.

And yes, we didn't vote in the primaries so we could sign the petition to get him on the ballot come November.
Weird, arcane Texas law.  It ticked off a bunch pf people on their way to vote in '68 when George Wallace ran on the AmMerican party ticket when folks signed his petition then could't vote in the primaries because their voter registration card was stamped "American Party'.

Besides, if he's elected and it gridlocks out state legislature for 4 years, is that necessarily a bad thing?
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sylvilagus/detail?.dir=9477re2&.dnm=57aere2.jpg&.src=ph

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 09:58:43 AM »
Quote from: Sylvilagus Aquaticus
Besides, if he's elected and it gridlocks out state legislature for 4 years, is that necessarily a bad thing?
Ooooh, good point! Smiley

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 05:10:29 PM »
I'd like to squash the rumor that, if elected, he'll be changing the name of the city to "Houstein".

Wink
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.