Author Topic: Sleep apnea, Cpap and allergies......  (Read 709 times)

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Sleep apnea, Cpap and allergies......
« on: June 23, 2006, 03:41:51 PM »
So, from the sleep apnea thread, it seems as though quite a few here have sleep apnea. Any of y'all have trouble with your cpap due to allergies?
I went in for my sleep study May 26th. Once they put me on the Cpap, I slept for 5 beautiful hours. Seems I had been averaging a "waking event" every miute and a half, and while asleep, my oxygen level was never above low 70s. No wonder I felt like crap all the time.
So, I got set up with a machine and mask, and went home that day. I had more energy than I'd felt in years. Life was wonderful. My appetite was improved, I didn't ache everywhere, and I was looking forward to my new life of normality.
I slept 5 more hours with the machine on Saturday evening, and 4 on Sunday evening, before pulling the mask of due to the old "can't breathe" feeling(not being used to sleeping in a mask) , and Monday was great! I was a ball of fire! I began to think of all the things I could accomplish.
Monday evening, allergy season arrived. My nose locked up, and I couldn't use the machine. I spent the next week trying every allergy medication I could find, trying to relieve my congestion. No dice. The doctor gave me Prednisone and Flonase. The prednisone helped enough for me to breathe, but no luck with the cpap. The flonase worked for a couple days, then quit. My allegies have tapered off, but I still can't use the gorram machine. The problem lies in the air pressure. I can breathe in fine, but breathng out against the pressure causes my nose to lock up. Anybody else have this trouble? The doc set the machine for the maximum difference possible. I've set an appointment to try for a bipap, but that's 2 months out.
Hi.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 04:16:53 PM »
I find that just leaving the mask on will clear up my nose after a few minutes.  I know it feels like you're going to suffocate but you won't.  Try getting nice and relaxed, put on the mask, and concentrate on breathing in and out.  I usually fall asleep before I even realize my nose cleared up.

Another thing you could try although some will advise against it.  If you have a humidifier, get some of that Vick's Vaporub and mixed it in with warm water.  Not too much though and make sure you clean the humidifier out the next morning.

Greg

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 05:42:06 PM »
I do a TINY puff of Afrin in each nostril every night. Keeps me clear all night. I don't use it at all any other time because I don't want to get "hooked"...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 08:19:04 PM »
Another thing you could try although some will advise against it.  If you have a humidifier, get some of that Vick's Vaporub and mixed it in with warm water.
You're right. I would advise against it. I'd be worried that it would leave a film inside the hose, which would be real hard to get clean.

In addition, I've read that you should not use any petroleum products as it could be harmful to the silicon in the mask.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 09:23:05 PM »
Not only that, but petrolated products WILL cause aspiration pneumonia.  It's not adviseable to put such things where they can get up your nose.

In a humidifier, that's not so bad. Directly into the nares...well, you're asking for trouble.
Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 12:55:32 AM »
I have found that if I have a head cold and I put vicks in the little cup in the humidifier it drives the cold into my chest.

Oh, I forgot to mention, Breathe Right strips work pretty good too.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 06:02:48 PM »
Just let the pressure blow the congestion (snot) out of your nose the wrong way and everything will be fine.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama