Author Topic: I remember when...  (Read 10702 times)

Stetson

• friends
Re: I remember when...
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2007, 08:40:30 PM »
I remember when Star Wars made it's TV debut and it was 3 hours long since they included all sorts of interview cuts from the stars at each commercial break.  It was a real big deal.

I remember when the Houston Oilers won the Super Bowl!!!.................oh wait...nevermind.

I remember when the Oilers and the Steelers were THE rivalry.  Played up byt eh Houston Chronicle every Sunday during Football season.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2007, 12:29:51 PM »
Remember when gas pumps didn't talk to you?  And there used to be this gasoline called "Unleaded."  Whatever happened to that stuff?   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2007, 12:34:02 PM »
I remember when Star Wars made it's TV debut and it was 3 hours long since they included all sorts of interview cuts from the stars at each commercial break.  It was a real big deal.

I'd heard that this scarred a lot of people back then.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2007, 04:12:32 PM »
Remember when gas pumps didn't talk to you?  And there used to be this gasoline called "Unleaded."  Whatever happened to that stuff?   smiley
I remember... my mom trying to put gas in the first "unleaded only" car we owned. She couldn't figure out why the (regular) nozzle wouldn't go in. The gas station guy showed her the smaller diameter unleaded nozzle. She was mad....

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2007, 06:27:09 PM »
Well, I remember when it was "Regular" and "Premium"

And oil came in round cans, and you had to have one of those spouts that punctured the top to put it in.

Air was free.  undecided

The key was on the dashboard (which was made out of steel that didn't crack in the sun).  You could take the key out without turning to lock, so that you could later start it without the key.  I drove one pickup for years without an ignition key - I just locked the door when in town.

The dimmer switch was on the floor.  It still is, on my current pickup.

The starter switch was on the floor beside the gas pedal.  I used to have one of those, a 1958 C-60.

Pickups still had split rims.  You could fix them anywhere with a couple screwdrivers and an air pump.

The lines down the middle of the hiway were white, not yellow.

Airliners still had propellers. 
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2007, 08:41:01 PM »
When SNL was funny and smart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5UJOvVoPcw
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2007, 09:26:13 PM »
I own a CP/M Kaypro.

It still works.

I built my first "real" computer (a PC clone) from mailorder parts. I upgraded, and bought a 15 megabyte drive, because I was serious.

I ran a WWIVnet bulletin board.

Blog under construction

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2007, 06:07:05 AM »
Most of mine have been mentioned already...

My first computer - Tandy Model 1, followed not too long after by a TRaSh-80 64K Model III with dual 5 1/4 floppy drives and a 300 baud modem. The OS was TRS-DOS, a Microsoft product, I believe. Grandad bought both of them for his business but couldn't figure out how to use them, so I got them. grin

Anyone remember the old style vending machines? Put in a dime (might have been a quarter), grasp the neck of the bottle and then YANK it out of the metal rack?

The vegetable man - Ancient guy who used to go up and down the streets in a converted, beat up old pickup selling fresh vegetables. He would cruise slowly up and down each street ringing a cow bell to announce his presence.

When I could walk down to the beach with a chicken neck, a length of string, and a dipnet and fill a bushel basket with huge Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs in a few hours.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2007, 07:15:56 AM »
I remember when I didn't have a single Smith & Wesson revolver...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »
I remember when....

We had an old gas pump out by the garage, one of those with the hand crank and the glass globe on top, and my dad hauled it off to the dump.

Going out to the hand operated water pump outside to fetch water.

Hating to have to go out to the outhouse on cold winter nights.

Getting indoor plumbing (hallelujah!)

It seemed like just about every little town had railroad tracks running through it.

Gas and cigs were the same price, $.25 a gal, and $.25 a pack.

Our family doctor delivered babies and when you went to the office for a check up, he smoked in the office.

Construction zones had only those little oil burners instead of flashing lights and Electric Indians.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2007, 04:20:05 AM »
My first computer - Tandy Model 1, followed not too long after by a TRaSh-80 64K Model III with dual 5 1/4 floppy drives and a 300 baud modem. The OS was TRS-DOS, a Microsoft product, I believe. Grandad bought both of them for his business but couldn't figure out how to use them, so I got them. grin

Your memory has failed you multiple times. 

The TRS-80 Model III maxxed out at 48KB RAM.  I know, because I hand upgraded mine from 16K to 48 -- opening that case without breaking the CRT was a memorable experience. 

TRS-DOS was a Radio Shack product.  You may be thinking of ROM BASIC (speaking of "I remember when").
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2007, 05:05:42 AM »
My first computer - Tandy Model 1...
I've still got mine in the garage.  Expansion interface, two 180K floppy drives, 48k RAM.  Who would ever need anything more powerful?  laugh
Haven't powered it up in years.  I wonder if it still works...
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Len Budney

« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2007, 09:32:22 AM »
And there used to be this gasoline called "Unleaded."  Whatever happened to that stuff?   smiley

I think you mean, "there used to be this gasoline called 'Regular'." I remember driving my 280Z in the final days of leaded gas. Literally the last gas station in Rhode Island to sell regular gas was off exit 1 from I-95N, and when it shut down I gave up and ran unleaded. Didn't seem to hurt it any. But it drove me crazy when people started calling low-octane unleaded "Regular"!

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2007, 09:45:48 AM »
There was a gas station (little country affair) in Roanoke, Va still selling leaded gas as recently as the early 90s.  A friend of mine in HS had a car that was supposed to use leaded and he always went there because they still sold it.

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2007, 12:21:49 PM »
It seemed like just about every little town had railroad tracks running through it.

And now the railroad tracks have been torn up and the little towns are almost ghost towns Sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2007, 12:30:55 PM »
There's still tracks here, but the old train stations are now either dentists' offices or brokers.

Interesting to realize that at one time, I could have walked down the hill from my home, about a block, (these tracks are indeed abandoned) gotten on a train at a platform and gone to any major city in the US from right there, and then back again.

Slow, but...neat. Walk a block, get on, get your stuff settled, go to the dining car and have dinner. Compared to the hell of alternate rushes and delays that airports are at the moment...!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2007, 12:32:16 PM »
Old Joke.....

I remember going to prom with my Dad and coming home with my Mom.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Strings

« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2007, 12:46:46 PM »
>Mechurochrome.<

Heh... I've still GOT a couple bottles of mercurachrome in our medicine cabinet... Wink

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2007, 12:49:35 PM »
There's still tracks here, but the old train stations are now either dentists' offices or brokers.
Interesting to realize that at one time, I could have walked down the hill from my home, about a block, (these tracks are indeed abandoned) gotten on a train at a platform and gone to any major city in the US from right there, and then back again.
Slow, but...neat. Walk a block, get on, get your stuff settled, go to the dining car and have dinner. Compared to the hell of alternate rushes and delays that airports are at the moment...!

Rail is still pretty heavily used in this area for commuting and traveling.  Manassas is an Amtrak stop, a freight yard, and a commuter train stop.  We still have and use and old fashioned train station, which is about a mile from my house.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2007, 12:52:53 PM »
The last time I saw a station selling leaded was in Iowa in 1997. It was apparently exclusively for farm equipment.

The train station in the town where I grew up (it was on the PRR main line) is now a canoe rental and eye doctor's office.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2007, 01:29:45 PM »

Our ranching neighbors (here long before the subdivision) tell us about taking their wheat down to the "Jawbone" railroad on the river in a horse drawn wagon.  There was a little town where they could sell their wheat and buy supplies for the winter.  Now the tracks are gone (since about 1980) and the "town" is just a ranch house (owned by another friend - I did some farming for him a couple years ago too).

Our neighbors also told us they used to drive their cattle to and from summer pasture right through our land (at least a corner of it - or maybe more depending on how the cattle strayed or scattered).  No or few fences back then, and I suppose they drove them across the river too.  This wasn't the 1880s either, but rather maybe 30-40 years ago.

Dang, I sure wished I had come north in 1972.  I might have gotten in on the tail end of those days.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2007, 03:43:24 PM »
I remember when you could have an entire discussion board all on one forum.  Now they got these political forums, and secret squirrel forums and globulated moderators. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2007, 03:49:21 PM »
...folks would go indoors to eat and outdoors to $#!t.

7-11 was a part time job.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2007, 06:50:36 PM »
The last time I saw a station selling leaded was in Iowa in 1997. It was apparently exclusively for farm equipment.

The train station in the town where I grew up (it was on the PRR main line) is now a canoe rental and eye doctor's office.

yeah that is probably about the last time I saw it also and for the same reason. I got my drivers license in 1990 and we had one gas station in town that still sold it for automobiles. I remember seeing av gas with lead in after 1997 but I can't remember where that was, I think a small town Iowian airport.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Len Budney

« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2007, 02:25:07 AM »

yeah that is probably about the last time I saw it also and for the same reason.

In parts of New England at least, leaded gas was completely gone by 1988.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.