Author Topic: Real estate-related gun show display. Need opinions.  (Read 2071 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Real estate-related gun show display. Need opinions.
« on: September 12, 2007, 11:36:02 AM »
We have a gun show here this weekend and I am going to set up a table.  I won't be trading guns or anything, but selling my services.  Yes, I am will be one of those "non-gun" tables we all gripe about so much.  But wait, there's more...

My table will be pretty simple - me, some cards, and two standing placards that read:

"Buy or sell a home through me and I will donate 5% of my paycheck to the Gun Rights group of your choice."

What I need is an opinion from the other side of the table.  Too cheesy?  Too blatantly "non-gun"?  To anything? 

Thanks in advance!
Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Real estate-related gun show display. Need opinions.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 12:12:48 PM »
It doesn't seem cheesy to me, Brad. But then I'm into gun rights, as are all of the other members here. It may seem cheesy to those who aren't particularly concerned about gun rights.

But screw them.

Instead of saying "paycheck," shouldn't you be saying "commission?"

If you really wanted to get attention, you could contact the media. A gun store south of Milwaukee in Racine is raffling off an AK-47 for a pro-gun group. The owner of the store let the media know, and it's become huge. It was even picked up by the national media.

Or maybe you don't want that kind of attention.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »
A raffle type thing would definitely get people to your table.  Raffle off a nice looking rifle or a Garand or something.  Make the tickets cheap.  Donate proceeds to local State Rifle Association or some such.  Prominently displayed would be your sponsorship and whatever you want people to know about you.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Paddy

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 12:20:45 PM »
I think it's a good idea.  You're using a gun show, usually unrelated to real estate, for networking and promotion.   You'll have some fun and meet some pro gun people.  It's a 'win-win'.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 12:28:01 PM »
Raffles, especially for guns, are good draws but I don't want this to be a "give me your name so I can contact you all the time" kind of thing.  I intensely dislike guerilla marketing tactics and would rather not be known for it.  Plus, it's a liability I don't want and an expense I can't justify.  If I was going to put four or five hundred dollars into marketing there are more effective uses for the money.

These raffles also draw in an inordinate number of people who's only concern is winning the gun.  They could care less about what it's for.  They also tend to be people who try to side-step professionals when it comes to housing.  In other works, cheapskates who think real estate agents are only slightly above child molesters when it comes to social pecking order (a quote heard here on APS and taken to heart).  I want people who are genuinely interested in buying or selling a home and have some sense of the very real value in using a real estate agent.

I thought about specifying a particular group like the NRA, but then reconsidered when I recalled the intense division on the gun boards about different groups.  Instead I comprimised and capitalized 'Gun Rights Group' to give it a sense of literary respect and still leave the option open to the individual as to which one.  Don't think I'm not giving your suggestion due consideration, though.  It just seems that this might be a better comprimise.

As for the "paycheck" or "commission" thing, the reason I went with paycheck is to personalize it.  To let them know it's my money I'm putting on the table.  People also seem to be turned off by the word "commission".  It flips a mental switch in most people and puts me in some lower class of humanity.  I'm trying very hard to maintain a certain level of professionalism and elevate myself above the stereotypical real estate agent (in theory, at least).

Keep suggesting - I'm making a list.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 02:09:52 PM »
Might as well sell some beef jerky, some jewelry and some craft items while you're at it.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 02:13:37 PM »
Might as well sell some beef jerky, some jewelry and some craft items while you're at it.   smiley

Thought about that too.  At least I could cover the cost of the table...

grin

Brad
-HankB

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 06:47:33 PM »
Dude, you need signage.

And lots of business cards.

Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 06:51:33 PM »
Oh, and another suggestion...

See if you can have printouts of farms and such from MLS - And start your own website - Bradsplacestoshoot or something like that.

Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 07:51:05 PM »
Be sure to have lots of beef jerkey, hot nuts, and crappy plastic trinkets. LOTS of crappy plastic trinkets...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 06:14:34 AM »
..who think real estate agents are only slightly above child molesters when it comes to social pecking order..
Y'all rate MUCH higher than chomos. 

I kind of like the idea.  I would ask for one of your cards if I were in the buying/selling mode.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 07:34:52 AM »
- And start your own website - Bradsplacestoshoot or something like that.

General site...
www.LubbockDreamHomes.com

And two neighborhood-specific sites...
www.HighCountryNeighbors.com
www.MyRaintreeNeighbors.com

Dude, you need signage.

And lots of business cards.

Signage I have.  Business cards ... well ... I pulled what I thought was another box of cards out of the file cabinet last night.  Indeed it was a full box of cards.  My old cards.  With the wrong number.  That I forgot to throw away.  Dangit!

I have a bunch of cards printed up for the web site.  At least I'll have something.

Be sure to have lots of beef jerkey, hot nuts, and crappy plastic trinkets. LOTS of crappy plastic trinkets...

I'd end up eating the jerky and hot nuts, and sitting around playing with the trinkets instead of flathanding potential clients.

Brad

-HankB

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 08:02:09 AM »
Buy yourself card stock at any office supply store and print your own cards.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 08:06:12 AM »

Buy yourself card stock at any office supply store and print your own cards.

I thought about that but it's both faster and cheaper to use my Office Max discount for a quick run of some simple single-color text-only cards.

Brad
-HankB

Barbara

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 04:50:01 PM »
Just a heads up: Raffles are illegal in most states except for narrowly defined non-profit groups..in Michigan, for instance, not all non-profits qualify for a permit.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 05:54:34 PM »
Brad, Barbara, it's not just in Michigan.

Be very careful about conducting a raffle. Make sure you have a license. Make sure that your entity is legal.

Our opponents, as well as the unwitting, do raffles all the time without punishment. But if a gun group screws up, it's front page news.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 08:39:43 PM »

Don't forget the copy-of-a-copy of common Army manuals, priced to give a military contractor a headache.

But if you really want to stand out you need a stun gun display.  It isn't really a gun show without that zaaap!! sound every thirty seconds or so. grin
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 09:48:42 AM »
Brad, Barbara, it's not just in Michigan.

Be very careful about conducting a raffle. Make sure you have a license. Make sure that your entity is legal.

For the most part raffles are illegal in TX unless it's a fund-raiser for a 501(C)x non-profit.

It isn't really a gun show without that zaaap!! sound every thirty seconds or so.

The last show I went to there was a guy there doing it ... to himself!  shocked  He was showing off how much better his was than the competition's.

Brad
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 01:40:03 PM »
You might want to point out the advantages of folks hiring you as a real estate agent and being a buffer between the buyer and seller, to help prevent the buyer/seller from wanting to kill each other  grin

I never want to deal directly on real estate again, especially with someone who is bi-polar (MPD?)   angry
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2007, 02:48:17 PM »
Well, just finished Day One and am a bit disappointed.  The turnout was light to begin with, and only a handful of people picked up the Real Estate Book and Buyer's Guide freebies I had laying out.  I figured at least a couple of people would have some casual questions, but not a single person said anything more than "Hi".  Dang.

I'll be there bright and early tomorrow.  Maybe it will work out better.   I have to stay optimistic, though.  All I have to get is one client to make the weekend worth it.

Brad
-HankB

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2007, 03:06:24 PM »
1) You need signage.

2) You need a hook. Lemme print you a coupla pix of your average "country farm" with a good ol' boy holding a rifle... Or a picture of a ventilated soda can... Something like that... The average customer needs to be led to the thought "hey, if I buy a place, I can shoot there."

3) Display, display, display...

4) Approach them - don't just sit there.

Blog under construction

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2007, 02:10:27 PM »
1) You need signage.

Got it.  We have a "portable" yard sign that is a light-weight reproduction of the real thing.  Assembled it stands almost six feet tall.  It includes my name rider.  This was in addition to the freebie Buyers Guide and Real Estate Book stacks, cards, and signage for the 5% donation.

2) You need a hook. Lemme print you a coupla pix of your average "country farm" with a good ol' boy holding a rifle... Or a picture of a ventilated soda can... Something like that... The average customer needs to be led to the thought "hey, if I buy a place, I can shoot there."

It would be a hook if everywhere outside the city limits didn't already fit the description.  The "hook" is the donation part.

3) Display, display, display...

Did it, did it, did it...

4) Approach them - don't just sit there.

As much as that appeals in the marketing sense, it's a turn-off for most folks when it comes to real estate agents (think "in-person" version of the middle-of-dinner telemarketer).  I don't like it done to me and I'd rather not do it to someone else if at all possible.  It makes me just like the guy on the next table who's selling the super-absorbent towels and multi-colored dusters by waving over every passer-by.  For now I'll leave it at level eye contact and a solid nod.  I may, however, take an extra box of Buyer's Guides next time and walk around handing them out (with my card attached, of course).

On the upside, today was better.  There was more diversity in the crowd and a few folks were casually interested.  I did get one solid lead and feel reasonably certain it will end up in a listing.  There was one old fart who already has his house listed with a competitor.  He spent about fifteen minutes telling me how good his house was and can't understand why the other guy isn't getting it shown.  Never mind the fact that it's a two-bedroom in a neighborhood of lookalike, cookie-cutter three bedrooms, and that he has it priced $5,000 higher than anything else on the market in that area.

I'll chalk it up as a qualified success for now.  I've already signed up for the show in January.

Oh, and I helped a buddy find a dandy little nightstand gun, a Ruger Security Six.  It had plenty of holster polish but was tight as a drum and sported an almost-new set of Pachmyers.  From the looks and feel of it I'm guessing it was carried a lot and shot a little.  Price was fair to all and a darned sight better than what he could have done on anything new.

Brad
-HankB