Author Topic: Why....  (Read 1354 times)

doczinn

• friend
Why....
« on: September 16, 2007, 08:26:39 PM »
must we constantly look back with perfect hindsight and see what we should have done?
D. R. ZINN

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Why....
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 08:28:17 PM »
I submit to you that hindsight is NOT 20/20.

There's only a perception that it is 20/20.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 08:36:59 PM »
Mike's right.

Pat Buchanan's opinions on our entry into WWII were severely criticized in 2004, even though he cited many respected leaders (including Truman) who were of that opinion in 1940.

Should I have left college in 1973? I don't know. Would I be happier today if I'd stuck it out and gotten into engineering? I don't know.

Life isn't a straight path. Take one turn, and there's several other turns ahead.

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 12:47:14 AM »
Because if you had the chance to do it again, having already done it once, you'd do it somewhat (or entirely) differently the next time.  Nearly always.

Ever build anything fairly big?

Like restore a car, install windows in your house, tear out walls, move electrical wires around,  pour a concrete patio, build a kitchen, put on a roof, or anything like that?  I've done all of these things, and no matter how much research I did up front, after actually experiencing the process, there are always some things I would do a little different to save time, money or simply make things easier if I were to do it again.  It's human nature and I think it's perfectly normal. Then again, if I were to do it all over, I'd probably learn even more on the second generation and still do it again somewhat differently the third time.

If you have done any projects, this should not be a mystery whatsoever.  If you've done something so much that perfection is the norm, you've been doing it so long you forgot the learning curve you went through.   I went through something like this before I left my first position working in the fab.  When you can know your schedule down to every darn minute and know that you are doing it the best way it can possibly be done because you've tried every other iteration possible, it's time to move on.

I met an anesthesiologist in college while working in the hospital that had a very successful practice, made oodles of money, and still always said.  If I had to do it over, I'd do it all differently simply because of what I've learned doing it this way.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 03:37:54 AM »
Just about anything of value that you do - and many things of no value - is a learning experience.

Or it should be.

So, naturally, if you could do something over, almost invariably you'd do it a little differently.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 04:48:01 AM »
Why must we constantly look back with perfect hindsight and see what we should have done?

Because we are human and have emotions.

I often say, "Man, I wish I could do that over."  But normally, that is followed by, "Oh, well, it's too late now.  No need to fret over it."

I think that is what prompted your question.  You don't like, or don't understand, why some people worry about things in the past.  Or why people attempt to fix everything that they think is wrong. 

People are human.  <shrug>
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 05:03:01 AM »
Actually, having the experience of many years, it is more likely one would do some things the same way over again, even the mistakes.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Paddy

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 06:39:07 AM »
must we constantly look back with perfect hindsight and see what we should have done?

The erroneous assumption, the illusion, is that hindsight is perfect.  If 'we had done things differently' there would have been a different series of events arriving at a different outcome.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 07:37:38 AM »
If I had it all to to over again, I would be too tired Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin