Author Topic: Telephone Bill  (Read 2787 times)

grampster

• friend
Telephone Bill
« on: September 17, 2007, 05:01:10 AM »
Thank you Al Gore, Democrats and Rural Electrification. 

So, I have Sage as my land line phone service.  The monthly nut is $43.and change.  At the grocery store the other day, I look on the back of the receipt and find Sage is offering a really outstanding deal.  Unlimited local use, 300 anytime long distance minutes, call waiting, forwarding, Caller ID etc.

I call Sage and ask if I can get their better deal even if I'm already a customer.  Sure says the nice lady.  She says I'm on one of their older plans and she'd be able to upgrade me, price wise, as I already have all the goodies the new plan has.

My savings?   $2.00!  $2.00??  Yep!!  There is $19.00 a month in taxes on my phone bill.  State, Federal, 911, Al Gore"s "Every kid needs the internet tax" and Rural Electrification.

PS:  I saw the tearful, cheering, Standing Ovation on the Emmy's last night for that worthless, lying, pos Gore who showed up to have some words about some kid propaganda TV show that is infesting the minds of our children with BS.  I thought I was going to puke.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
Re: Telephone Bill
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 05:23:30 AM »
Yep, like the commercial says, your phone bill contains a lot of phone bull.

When I moved to TX, I signed up for "measured" service - it gives me 25 local calls a month, with 8 cents for each extra local call I make. I normally pay under $20, even with all the BS add-ons. (Though now I'm getting DSL which costs me another $20 or so per month . . . )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 05:26:15 AM »
Why still have a landline, unless you get poor cell reception in your area?

I have a Bluetooth docking station for my cellphone that energizes the rest of the phone lines, so when the cell rings, the rest of the phones ring. I can also call from any of the other phones, too.

No landline.

I've never understood paying for a phone that rings where you're not, rather than one that's with you.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 05:32:44 AM »

We keep our landline hooked up to an answering machine and give that number out to all the companies who might need to contact us.  Friends, family, coworkers, companies we might need to have an immediate conversation with, etc get our cellphones.

Chris

onions!

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 05:42:33 AM »

minor thread drift->I have a neighbor that is a day care provider.One of their requirements is a land line.

I don't even have a cel,let alone a land line.There's a pay phone two blocks away.Close enough for me.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 05:52:07 AM »
Voice Over IP is where it's at. I pay $20 a month for unlimited local and long distance calling. Calls to Germany (my wife is German) are about 1.8 cents per minute, which is about as cheap as it gets. If you already have DSL or Cable internet, it's pretty hard to beat VOIP.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 05:56:55 AM »
Voice Over IP is where it's at. I pay $20 a month for unlimited local and long distance calling. Calls to Germany (my wife is German) are about 1.8 cents per minute, which is about as cheap as it gets. If you already have DSL or Cable internet, it's pretty hard to beat VOIP.

But I don't have high-speed internet. All I've got is dialup. Which sucks.

Also one of the reasons that I don't go hunting down links and source articles that often...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 06:27:34 AM »
There's a pay phone two blocks away.Close enough for me.
You must have a higher pain threshhold than I do.   smiley

What happens when you're expecting a call; do you hang out at the pay phone ?   sad

onions!

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 06:35:42 AM »
There's a pay phone two blocks away.Close enough for me.
You must have a higher pain threshhold than I do.   smiley

What happens when you're expecting a call; do you hang out at the pay phone ?   sad

=)Nope.There isn't anyone that'd want to talk to me so bad that they couldn't wait until the next day.I spend 7-5 M-F on the phone.

As long as the folks stay healthy I'm not gonna waste $$$ on a phone.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 07:21:58 AM »
My unlimited AT&T (formerly Southwestern Bell) local-only service in the "No Frills Package" runs me $20.21 every month, including all the BS taxes and govt mandated fees.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 07:30:54 AM »
Those packages aren't available everywhere.  VZ offers a similar package in SW Va, but the closest I can find in this area is $20 for a limited number of calls.  That works since we never make outgoing calls from our landline. Smiley

To be honest, I'm half tempted to get a third line on our cell service, assign the landline number to it, and cancel the land line.  We can still ignore the "house number" like we do now. Smiley  It would save us about $10/month. 

Chris

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 09:01:55 AM »
Manedwolf,

Who makes that docking station that you have?
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 09:31:38 AM »
Manedwolf,

Who makes that docking station that you have?

I have an Intellitouch XLink, but there's also one called a Dock-n-Talk. Different ones work better with different phone brands, it seems.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 09:33:48 AM »
Those packages aren't available everywhere.  VZ offers a similar package in SW Va, but the closest I can find in this area is $20 for a limited number of calls.  That works since we never make outgoing calls from our landline. Smiley

To be honest, I'm half tempted to get a third line on our cell service, assign the landline number to it, and cancel the land line.  We can still ignore the "house number" like we do now. Smiley  It would save us about $10/month. 

Chris

Hum...

You need to look at what that might do to the cost of your DSL. You might end up spending more in the long run because you'd need either a dry line or another means of accessing the net.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 09:40:23 AM »
Dry lines are typically about the same cost as thee DSL alone so I'd save the difference between the land line and the third cellphone.  I already have the phone, I'd just have to add it to the plan.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 09:42:05 AM »
interesting. I was under the impression that the dry lines carried a "well, you don't have any other services with us, so we're going to punk you just because we can" fee structure...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 09:45:50 AM »
nope.  In fact, I almost converted ours to a dry line, but I held onto the landline "just in case" and also as a dummy number to give out (who cares how many telemarketers call when you don't answer it).

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 09:49:30 AM »

Those packages aren't available everywhere.

Yeah, I know.  Being in a relatively big city has its advantages sometimes.  My parents are on a rural coop.  Their basic bill runs about $40.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 09:50:33 AM »
I still remember the night I called your cell phone wanting to sell you aluminum siding for your crypt... AND while posing as a charitable organization...

I could hear the veins in your forehead throbbing...

grin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2007, 09:55:12 AM »
"Yeah, I know.  Being in a relatively big city has its advantages sometimes."

Uh...

That still doesn't account for why it's not available in the area where Mtnbkr and I live.

The "town" in which he lives is 40,000 or so, and the "town" where I live is about 30,, with the immediate surrounding area bringing that up to nearly 100,000.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 09:59:22 AM »
Well.. maybe it's just because you're you.  Chris is guilty by association.   grin

Brad
-HankB

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 10:12:29 AM »
Maybe Mike is paying a penalty for having his super Verizon FIOS service, instead?   grin

Some folks enjoy having a land line in areas where storms and other catastrophes are likely to occur.

The telcos are really good at maintaining that 48v line voltage on the wires.  I have a big bank of surplus telco AGM batteries right here, switched out after 5 years, even though they're rated for 10 years.

What does that mean?  When power goes out, and cell phone towers are down, chances are the land lines are still up. 

I've even seen discrete little devices that take advantage of the 48v line voltage to charge cell phones and iPods.  Not that the telcos would be happy to know you're using the lines for that purpose...

I know that cell phones are not the preferred method to communicate during hurricane evacs and post-storm.  I discovered that firsthand.  I have Vonage now, with a huge UPS feeding the Motorola voice modem and all the other components in our communications/network rack.  That's only as good as the wire on the poles outside, though.   undecided
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

atomd

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2007, 10:20:03 AM »
Yep, mine is pretty much for emergency use only. My cell phone is the same though. I don't really use the phone unless I have to. I'm not a super talkative guy but I do see the need for a phone if your car breaks down or there's some sort of emergency. They can be good to have around just in case....even though I don't normally use them.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2007, 10:22:11 AM »
Nah, I just got the FIOS installed, and it's with Verizon, the company we're talking about.

In fact, my phone services and DSL was also with Verizon.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2007, 10:26:40 AM »
Mike, I think you have those numbers backwards and maybe even underestimated for your town.  There's no way your town is smaller than mine, even if you count our "unofficial guest workers".

The last time we had an event significant enough to affect phone comms, it was 9/11 and the landlines were saturated for hours.  I didn't have a cellphone back then, but I can't imagine them being any better.  From 11am till at least 5pm, our phone was as good as useless.

If I need to get a message out that bad, I'll use my battery powered ham radio to jump on one of the traffic nets. Tongue

Chris