Author Topic: Ever make a bug out bag for a child?  (Read 1622 times)

Wingshooter

Ever make a bug out bag for a child?
« on: March 22, 2005, 07:11:09 PM »
Well, Tornado season is just around the corner (too near really) and since Gracie is now a year old I need to get something together for her.  I have bags for my wife and I, but a toddler creates an interesting dilemna.  Have any of  you ever put together a BOB for a youngster?  I will have clothes, diapers, necessary meds, food, and some small light toys.  Is this enough?  Too much?  Any input from those that have been down this road would be appreciated.  

The goal of this bag, like mine, is something that can sustain for up to 72 hours.  A stopgap, if you will, in case a tornado actually hits and we are displaced for a day or so.  Something small enough to grab and run into the saferoom with if a tornado hits (and yes they do hit here- downtown was hit hard in 2, and I lived within walking distance of that tornado path).  Some items will already be in my bag, but some things I might not think of for her specifically could make for a long and miserable event should something ever happen.

Couple of things I've identified as issues, but not solved:

What did you get for your kids to sleep on (think 1 y/o)?
Entertainment (crucial for that short attention span)?  Books perhaps, she loves them and they are flat/lightweight.
Something handy to carry the child in/with that can pack easily?  She's just about outgrown the baby bjorn.

It could potentially be tough to juggle a toddler and  two BOB's but luckily there are two of us to bear the load.

sigh, it was so much easier when she was 6 weeks old and breastfeeding.  I was married to her BOB (please don't tell my wife I said that!!!)
Pedro offers you his protection...

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 12:50:51 AM »
For us, we had a BOB that would sustain each kid for about a day.  After that, there were probably 2 days of supplies in the car.  Mostly clothes, diapers, snacks, baby food, water, maybe a little juice.

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

client32

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 03:47:11 AM »
What did you get for your kids to sleep on (think 1 y/o)?
I think you could just grab a pillow if she sleeps on her back.  If you forget to grab a pillow, she could just use you as a bed.  If her home is destroyed, this might be the best bet because she will want something familar and safe.  I live in a tornado play ground as well.  Luckily, we are rural enough that there are rarely any deaths or injuries from a tornado.

Entertainment (crucial for that short attention span)?  Books perhaps, she loves them and they are flat/lightweight.
I think books are the right track for this.  My little girls loves books as well, to the point that she rarely plays with any of her toys.  I know that when the time comes to bug out this might be feasible, but I would try and grab a favorite toy of hers, again something familar.

Something handy to carry the child in/with that can pack easily?  She's just about outgrown the baby bjorn.
Well, baby bjorn or something simlar is about all I can think of.  If she hasn't completely outgrown it, then it would still work for a day or two.
Maybe one of those baby backpacks, which you could also use to pack stuff in.  Harder to pack, but she might be more comfortable.

As far as this being enough or too much, that is up to you.  We have a baby bag for each kiddo.  Each bag pretty much stays packed enough to last for a couple of days.  

The only other thing I can think of is a blanket.  We have a bunch of 4` x 4` baby blankets that the mother-in-law made.  The are two layers of fabric.  Fold really small, and are really handy.

Just my $.02
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Wingshooter

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 04:42:44 AM »
Small blankets and a pillow.  That's a great thought, she has some blankets about that size.  Actually just thought of this, I bet a sheepskin would be perfect.  Nice and soft, and the side against the ground would be relatively waterproof.  Plus is rolls up quite nicely.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Pedro offers you his protection...