Author Topic: Marine Cpl. Jason Dunham awarded Medal of Honor  (Read 1779 times)

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
Marine Cpl. Jason Dunham awarded Medal of Honor
« on: November 10, 2006, 08:06:37 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/10/medal.honor/index.html

I always wondered if that helmet trick would work.

Godspeed, Corporal.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Marine Cpl. Jason Dunham awarded Medal of Honor
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 01:44:26 AM »
"As long as we have Marines like Corporal Dunham, America will never fear for her liberty," Bush said Friday
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 04:09:47 AM »
I am amazed that after 3 years this is only the second Medal of Honor awarded.  It's depressing that it has to be posthumous.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 04:49:57 AM »
True sacrifice....salute to Corporal Dunham.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 05:14:24 AM »
Much like the rest of the good ole USA, the war in Iraq is just something to bitch about.  Besides the death toll, citizens aren't paying much attention to anything else that goes on.  Whether its heroisim, or rebuilding the Iraqi way of life, nobody really cares.  Sad, ain't it?
Sad that the Army paraded Jessica Lynch around like a Hero.  I guess getting knocked unconcious in the opening minute of a firefight, and being dragged off by the enemy makes one a hero.  Nevermind that one of her unit-members took out an entire Iraqi mortor squad by closing with and destroying the enemy with well aimed rifle fire.   angry
That's why there's only two MOH awardees (I can't bring myself to say you really "win" the MOH....).

PS:
Yesterday was the Marine Corps Birthday. 235 years of service and sacrifice.  Born in a bar, the President's own, worldly reknowned and feared.  Oohhrraahhh!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 08:36:36 AM »
I doubt we are going to see another living person awarded the MOH in the near future. Living heros have proven to be a potential liability for our politicians.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 09:12:46 AM »
Happy Birthday to the Crotch.

oorah, Cpl. Dunham.  Semper Fi.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 10:08:23 AM »
I doubt we are going to see another living person awarded the MOH in the near future. Living heros have proven to be a potential liability for our politicians.
Such as?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 12:27:20 PM »
Such as?

I PM'd you an answer to what I think is a pretty obvious question (hint: one of them ran for president). This isnt the thread for this discussion, feel free to start a new one.

slzy

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 03:49:45 PM »
iirc the marines only awarded 82 MOH for all of ww2. i would have been prone to have given that many at iwo jima alone. and if i may paraphrase the requirements, it has to be an action that no one would have blamed you for not doing. truly above and beyond.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 08:13:11 PM »
...it's depressing that it has to be posthumous.

Most of them ARE posthumous.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 09:36:54 PM »
There have been a bunch of Distinguished Crosses awarded. That's one step below the MOH.

Blackfive.net is another good place to find out about current medal winners, and what they did to earn them. Great site all around, written by a bunch of ex-specops types.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 03:34:50 AM »

Yeah, I know.  It was depressing to me, in this case, because he lived for 8 days after the incident. 
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 05:29:48 AM »

Yeah, I know.  It was depressing to me, in this case, because he lived for 8 days after the incident. 
I heard Rumsfeld personally ordered his plug be pulled so he could be made a martyr
 grin
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”