Author Topic: Defy TV  (Read 323 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Defy TV
« on: September 02, 2021, 11:28:48 AM »
So, there's an over-the-air station (some of  y'all may not know that they still exist...) here in St. Louis that is running Defy TV as its "network."

Basically "reality" show after "reality" show, but mostly around stuff that I'm at least slightly interested in... And it is background noise. They show stuff like American Pickers, something about the Oak Island money pit, Forged in Fire, that sort of thing.

And I just walked through the living room, and Larry the Cable Guy was shooting a .50 with Steven Sumner at one of the Knob Creek night shoots.
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Defy TV
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 01:04:25 PM »
"Larry's" not averse to getting bleeped.  And he's not afraid of showing redneckedness.  All of which is his attraction. I'm surprised he hasn't been marginalized or canceled by now.

If you got one OTA (Over The Air) channel, there must be more.

I've never paid a dime for TV entertainment except for succumbing to an advertisement once in a while.  Even when they switched over to digital years agoI got a bunch of the FCC-mandated conversion boxes for my analog TVs.  In fact I'm still running one analog off a converter in the bedroom.

Lots of good old shows on OTA TV.  They ran for years, so they must have been good in one sense or another to stay on.  Then along came Fred Silverman and his "Green Purge."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rural_purge

"CBS canceled everything with a tree in it — including Lassie."
— Pat Buttram, Mr. Haney from Green Acres[11][12][13]

I think I caught that .50 one from "the corner of my ear," but another one which has frequent "gunplay" is the one from the pawn shop in Louisiana where he won't take in a gun unless they take it to the range to test it out.  I forget its name though.

(You, meaning you plural, don't necessarily need a fancy antenna to pick up OTA channels.  Just sticking a long thin wire or small pin connected to a wire into the antenna jack and switching the set over to over the air (or its equivalent) will allow you to pick up many OTA stations despite the fact that the antenna isn't ideal.  At those frequencies, though, keep in mind that the signals are highly directional and subject to blocking and weird reflections)

Terry
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 06:03:16 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Defy TV
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 09:59:36 PM »
It is digital OTA, and there's enough clutter around that I bought an amplified antenna. I don't have cable. Just Amazon, Netflix, and the noise in the living room.
Blog under construction