Author Topic: Magnesium!  (Read 1873 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Magnesium!
« on: July 13, 2009, 08:14:43 AM »
If one were to pass a large current across a piece of magnesium ribbon (think "short circuit across a magnesium fuse"), would it ignite before melting and breaking the circuit?

I think it would, due to magnesiums auto-ignition temperature of 883F, and melting point of 1202F.

Anyone tried this or seen it done?
 =)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Magnesium!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 08:27:40 AM »
I suspect the difference would be academic at best.

If it ignited, the extra heat from combustion would be melting the ribbon a bit as it burned, if it melted, it would probably auto-ignite.

My grandfather had an envelope of zirconium shavings he'd retrieve a sample from and burn for me now and agian.  :cool:
I promise not to duck.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 09:34:39 AM »
I wonder how many amps that would take?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 11:25:52 AM »
I wonder how many amps that would take?

It depends on the gauge of the wire.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 11:29:06 AM »
It depends on the gauge of the wire.

Exactly!

Really, it's not amperage we're concerned with - it's watts of power dissipated per unit of material.

Rudy Kohn

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 12:33:25 PM »
It's possible the magnesium would oxidize without burning before you reach the auto-ignition point if you go too slowly.
Many metals will do this.  Gold, somewhat obviously, will not, and can be made to glow cherry-red before the ribbon breaks due to points melting.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 07:34:21 PM »

=)

Care to share why you want to do this?......

....before Homeland Security shows up at your door.... 

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 08:13:08 PM »
You'd probably have better luck coating the magnesium wire with a substance that ignites at a lower temperature and burns hot enough to ignite the magnesium.

Or you could just buy some thing magnesium wire and try it.  A car battery ought to provide enough juice to either prove or disprove the concept.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 09:27:08 PM »
You'd probably have better luck coating the magnesium wire with a substance that ignites at a lower temperature and burns hot enough to ignite the magnesium.

Like Dry Ice?  =D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoBp2m035OA

I promise not to duck.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 09:48:02 PM »
Just hitch it up between the leads of a welder and crank up the amps till it lights.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 11:59:24 PM »
If one were to pass a large current across a piece of magnesium ribbon (think "short circuit across a magnesium fuse"), would it ignite before melting and breaking the circuit?

I think it would, due to magnesiums auto-ignition temperature of 883F, and melting point of 1202F.

=)

I imagine it would depend on how quickly you ramped up.  If you slowly ramped it up then yeah, I'd say it would ignite first but for a quick (ie: instantaneous) turn on, I imagine it would do both.  Either way, I think it's igniting. 

I've done a lot of thermal evaporation in my semiconductor research.  I did a research project creating organic transistors and one of the steps involved putting powdered pentacene into a tungsten crucible and ramping up the current slowly, until the crucible was glowing orange. I don't remember the amperage offhand, it's in my notebook, which is with the PI for that project.   

I haven't worked with Mg, though I imagine I could have some fun with it.  :D
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 08:24:37 AM »
It will ignite.

I'm not sure of the exact sequence, weather it melted and lit, ot lit and melted, but you get a satisfying bright white flame, that will ignite a mixture of Aluminum and Iron Oxide, if the magnesium happens to be sitting in it.  =D

I used a thin strip I had cut off one of those camping firestarters, Jumper cables, and a 750CCA batt.

I also won $20, because my IT guy bet me that whatever I did to my old harddrives left data on them he could get.  Not so much.

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 02:11:09 PM »
I also won $20, because my IT guy bet me that whatever I did to my old harddrives left data on them he could get.  Not so much.

It's hard to pull data from slag. Got an "after" pic?